DynCorp International

Updated 30 September 2014
Updated 30 September 2014
3.3

James Geisler

Pros
  • Good pay compared to some of the other companies (in 27 reviews)

• I was able to move into a management position very quickly and enjoyed a good salary and benefits (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, Logistics(parts/materials) Living Accomodations (in 13 reviews)

• Upper management does not communicate effectively so issues constantly arise (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company to work for.

Former Employee - Power Generation Mechanic  in  `Alījān (Afghanistan)
    Former Employee - Power Generation Mechanic in `Alījān (Afghanistan)

I worked at DynCorp International as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

As a foreign national working for an international company, it was a good overall experience. Lots of learning areas on the job. International work exposure. New cultures. Fantastic.

Cons

Poor pay for foreign nationals (FN) employees. Obvious difference in the treatment of US citizens and FN especially those from africa. Long hours of the job.

Give more job opportunities to Foreign Nationals from Africa.

Disappointed

I worked at DynCorp International full-time

Pros

Pay and benefits are above average.

Cons

Senior Management is totally out of touch with the workforce. Employee ideas are not given any consideration, and people work out of fear of losing their job. Management has a "pass the buck" mentality and "good old boy" network mentality.

Need to value and appreciate the value of employees. Remove the managing by fear element and hold yourselves accountable instead of pointing fingers when things don't go as planned. Embrace the team concept that is preached but not practiced!

Defense contractor with little to no concern for employee base.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at DynCorp International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fairly diverse- good representation of international employees and veterans.

Cons

Constantly changing/ reducing benefits without warning. Company claims to be veteran friendly but its really just a marketing ploy aimed at securing contracts. There is very limited room for advancement outside your prescribed initial duties and the company's reputation still suffers from past transgretions. It feels filthy.

Quit trimming already limited benefits. Focus efforts- quit attempting to fill every need of the federal gov't and specialize, preferably outside of defense.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Working for DynCorp

I have been working at DynCorp International full-time for more than a year

Pros

A great learning experience working on various government contracts.

Cons

Poor management, poor HR department, low employee morale, constant layoffs, costly benefits, not even average pay, long hours, no overtime paid, and they do NOT follow the DI STAR that they claim is so important.

Learn how to treat your employees. Learn to listen and take action when needed. Learn to solve employee issues.

DynCorp International

Current Employee - Transportation Manager  in  Herat (Afghanistan)
    Current Employee - Transportation Manager in Herat (Afghanistan)

I have been working at DynCorp International as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

Good organization, focused on continual process improvement

Cons

There is an ever need for qualified personnel

Hire by qualification, never association

Excilerating

Current Employee - Office Assistant  in  Huntsville, AL (US)
    Current Employee - Office Assistant in Huntsville, AL (US)

I have been working at DynCorp International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

No two days are ever the same. Since this company has locations all around the world. There is always something happening, 24/7. The opportunity for growth is excellent. The general overhead is low, so everyone wears many hats. I am learning something new everyday. I love interacting with people all over the world. I get to work with true american heroes. The ethics are top notch. There is a social contract that is signed and followed to the letter. This definitely makes for a very pleasant work atmosphere. The leadership training is relevant immediately to our managers, not just something they can use in the future. I love it here.

Cons

You need to be available 24/7, 365. They keep the overhead low, but this creates a bottleneck sometime to get something processed. Some of the software applications need to be updated and more user friendly.

Offer the bonuses to everyone, not just managers. This is truly a team environment. Everyone on the team needs to be rewarded, not just the managers.

Got to do the job I had in the USAF for a civilian company.

I worked at DynCorp International as a contractor

Pros

Good pay, can do the same job you had in the military.

Cons

Qatar sort of sucks, and not having SOFA status as a civilian in Qatar makes you a 2nd class citizen with no equal rights who are regarded as gods by the police.

Don't be "my daddy", I am a grown man. Micromanagement sucks.

Huge company with many projects in various fields

Current Employee - Operations Supervisor
    Current Employee - Operations Supervisor

I have been working at DynCorp International as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

DynCorp is a huge company that offers a wide varity of job postings around the world.
    The Company will generally give employees opportunities for follow-on jobs within the company as they finish their contracts (applies to year long/overseas contracting work)
    The Company's values are great (See below)

Cons

(Understand this is in reference to the project I work with. Talk with someone at your potential work site for appropriate details)
    DynCorp's ability to pay a respectable salary was struck hard coming in after another company had this project. The quality of employees that will work in this field, for this amount of money is lacking. The Company's inability to recruit quality aircraft mechanics makes it hard to get rid of substandard mechanics. It's a snowball that gets worse as top notch employees leave the program because they can make better money elsewhere, and employees that lack experience and skills for better paying jobs are left behind. The only thing that keeps this place running are the handful of mechanics that stick around because they truly care about the end user and their mission.
    There never seems to be enough time to really truly inculcate the Company's values into the workforce, other than through negative discipline when values are not adhered to.

Find some way to offer better incentives for working here. The hourly compensation and benefits are substandard for this industry. The only reason to work on this project is the insane amount of hours we work.
    Allow lower and middle management to review potential incoming employee’s applications and take their advice into consideration prior to hiring them

Company Review

Current Employee - Staff Officer
    Current Employee - Staff Officer

I have been working at DynCorp International full-time

Pros

The company is very generous in its vacation allocations, based on how long you've worked for them. The are definitely pro-veteran, and family. The atmosphere is one of teamwork.

Cons

Being off-site, sometimes information is found out slowly. Additionally, historically when training is required, we tend to get notification at the "critical" hour for it to be completed.

Keep communication lines open to the lowest worker level.

Strong opportunity as a starting block for contract work

Former Employee - Operations  in  Kuwait City (Kuwait)
    Former Employee - Operations in Kuwait City (Kuwait)

I worked at DynCorp International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The pay wasn't as strong as, say, KBR and some of the other companies. However, you received a lot more of the freedoms you'd receive working a normal job.

Cons

You're not completely free. Having a family can be difficult. Hard to move up, depending on the project.

DynCorp International Photos

Worked for DynCorp International? Contribute to the Community!