DynCorp International

Updated 30 September 2014
Updated 30 September 2014
3.3

James Geisler

Pros
  • Good pay even though you are in a war zone (in 26 reviews)

• Good salary and benefits to the workers who work there (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, Logistics(parts/materials) Living Accomodations (in 12 reviews)

• Upper management does not communicate effectively so issues constantly arise (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Strong opportunity as a starting block for contract work

Former Employee - Operations  in  Kuwait City (Kuwait)
    Former Employee - Operations in Kuwait City (Kuwait)

I worked at DynCorp International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The pay wasn't as strong as, say, KBR and some of the other companies. However, you received a lot more of the freedoms you'd receive working a normal job.

Cons

You're not completely free. Having a family can be difficult. Hard to move up, depending on the project.

Contracted Civilian Police Advisor

Current Employee - Police Advisor  in  Baghdad (Iraq)
    Current Employee - Police Advisor in Baghdad (Iraq)

I have been working at DynCorp International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Compared to the positions I've had contracting, DynCorp has a fairly efficient HR and logistics Department.

Cons

The pay was low for the industry. Management seemed to get hired based on who they knew rather than qualifications. The treatment of employees was terrible leaving most in my program without the too necessary to do the job. Also, there was a VERY broad mission statement that did not provide guidance on what the customer expected. Bottom line, I do not think they were interested in performance on the job. If you were breathing and deployable they could get you into country and get their money.

Have a little pride in the mission and plan to produce some deliverables. Stop promoting solely based on resume, just because a guy has 30 years of experience doesn't mean he is motivated to do the job.

Awful management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Doha (Qatar)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Doha (Qatar)

I worked at DynCorp International as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Considering the tax free status it is decent pay especially if you are transitioning out of the military. Good amount of vacation and money for the plane ticket. Living arrangements are pretty good.

Cons

Management is just awful, they seem to promote all of the people that should have been fired long ago for ineptitude. Very much a "good ole boys" club. Constant "knee jerk" reactions to fairly consistent issues rather than just taking the time to review things and see how they could be done better ahead of time. None of the management care how hard the employees work they just want more and better without actually having the knowledge of exactly what they are asking for.

Get rid of them. Appreciate and take care of your people. Stop micromanaging.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Once in a lifetime opportunity

I worked at DynCorp International

Pros

Pay, vacation, overseas service, experience and great people

Cons

Politics, hours, access to basic things: Internet
    Personal items

Read resumes, you have people with leadership potential and years of experience wasted on menial positions

It was a good place to work, management was pretty easy, but for most people the advancement rte is low

Former Employee - Avionics Technician  in  Patuxent River, MD (US)
    Former Employee - Avionics Technician in Patuxent River, MD (US)

I worked at DynCorp International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

People pretty much get along, everyone was military and we all had a common goal.

Cons

Unions are not around to protect the people that want to work...definitely for the lazy.

They should have incentives for people to work harder

Moving to the positive

Former Employee - Quality Supervisor  in  Fort Worth, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Quality Supervisor in Fort Worth, TX (US)

I worked at DynCorp International as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

My direct report and management team were professional and very team oriented. Corporate seems intent on building a company built on true professionalism and rooting out the "buddy system" systemic in overseas contracting.

My experience with the company was overall very positive

Cons

Many departments lacked continuous improvement input from their front line personnel. Many of my friends from other departments experienced a far courser work life from their senior management team.

More emphasis on education, experience, skill, aptitude, and attitude during hiring.

Great Company, Local Management Needs Work

Current Employee - Mentor  in  Kabul (Afghanistan)
    Current Employee - Mentor in Kabul (Afghanistan)

I have been working at DynCorp International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very Good salaries, excellent people, professional company

Cons

Local Program Managers and Deputy Program Managers seem to believe they are the primary focus and SOW earners are the supporting players. Usually the best logistics, support items, housing etc goes to the PMO and staff.

Stop using previous rank as a factor in hiring for leadership positions. Remember that the PMO and staff are supporting the SOW earners, not the other way around.

good company, lots of opportunities for career advancement

Former Employee - Senior Contract Administrator  in  Shīndand (Afghanistan)
    Former Employee - Senior Contract Administrator in Shīndand (Afghanistan)

I worked at DynCorp International as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

The job is well paid, there is lots of opportunity for international travel, the company pays for all living expenses in country.

Cons

minimum 12 hour work day (usually more like 14) seven days a week. the living conditions are minimal, there is a great deal of internal politics.

Walking on egg shells, very unstable

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Fort Worth, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX (US)

I have been working at DynCorp International full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Been here a long time and make good salary.
    Big campaign to promote their ethics and culture.
    I am trusted and respected for my skills and knowledge for the most part, which is as I expect to get anywhere, as I highly skilled and have 2.5 decades of expertise.

Cons

Extremely unstable; employees live in culture of fear and exhaustion. Rounds of lay offs every year if you are not a union employee working a specific contract. Funding for various projects is always hard to come by even for regular much needed maintenance.
    2 years of zero merit pay increases across the board and benefits reduced.
    AWFUL work hours on call 24x7 for weeks at a time. Some weekends worked continuously.
    Very top down organizational chain of command with a strong reaction to employee's voicing questions or criticism. Not a collaborative culture.
    Very few opportunities for advancement.
    The promotion of the DI Start as their ethics and culture is superficial. SR management does not act it out.

Make employees feel valued with even a tiny pay increase. Stop the executive and senior management perks. Stop trying to trim the corporate overhead jobs, cutting benefits, and constantly rearranging the reporting structure. So much change is not making it better, only creating doubt and fear. Create opportunities for employees to grow their skill and value.

Kind of ok.

I have been working at DynCorp International

Pros

Decent pay. Pay on time.

Cons

In Afghanistan. Very, very poor program management.

None.

DynCorp International Photos

Worked for DynCorp International? Contribute to the Community!