E*TRADE Financial

www.etrade.com
Employer Engaged

Low quality work environment

Former Employee - Financial Consultant in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Consultant in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at E*TRADE Financial full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They have clients for you to develop your skills with.

Cons

To simplistic of a business model. It is E-Trade. Recall the phrase, "You get what you pay for."

Stop micromanaging your employees, and treat them as adults.

Great Company

I have been working at E*TRADE Financial

Pros

Good pay and introduction to the financial service industry.

Cons

Stagnant growth. Many individuals are in the same positions for many years.

Great company to work for!

Former Employee - Stock Broker in Alpharetta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Stock Broker in Alpharetta, GA (US)

I worked at E*TRADE Financial full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits and training opportunities abound along with internal promotional opportunities. Decent salary also.

Cons

Sometimes sales quotas are difficult to meet for certain positions. This is expected and meeting those quotas can lead to significant bonuses.

Employee morale is important within any company.

E*TRADE Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA (US)

I have been working at E*TRADE Financial full-time

Pros

High energy leadership team that isn't afraid to change things that need changing makes for great opportunities to make a real difference and advance in one's career. Mid-level leadership show true caring for their people.

Cons

The largest challenge is keeping up with the pace of work. With so much change for the better happening, the pace can be exhilarating or overwhelming.

There is a solid plan for success in place. Do not be deterred by short-term challenges that might derail the company's transformation. Keep the faith and E*TRADE will be great again.

What a company

Current Employee - Senior Auditor in Arlington, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Auditor in Arlington, VA (US)

I have been working at E*TRADE Financial full-time (more than a year)

Pros

flexible work hours. Convenient place.

Cons

no training. the manual, someone needs to tell these people that everything is not black and white.

Train directors about how to talk to employees. directors who manage 2 or 3 people think that they are gods sent . Talking to employees like we are some idiots. The arrogance of some of the managers, I wonder how these people become managers.

Run OUT of there ASAP

I worked at E*TRADE Financial full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

There are no Pros in E*trade

Cons

Managers suck, they think they are Gods, most employees at E*TRADE are unhappy. Directors are rude and barely open their mouths to respond to a simple hello. you need to be part of the Click to get anywhere... if you are not a brown nose it's best for you to get the experience and leave ASAP

You are not GODS... it's too obvious that if employees don't suck up to you, they will get no where.. you have tendency of treating E*TRADE like a cotton field so please change people are employees, not slaves

Great technical experience and some great coworkers but toxic environment from upper management

Former Employee - Senior Staff Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Staff Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I worked at E*TRADE Financial full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I got some great technical experience working here. I also worked with a lot of great people in the teams I was working on. I loved my manager and co-workers.

Cons

The upper management from VP down to director level spends a lot of time be-belittling employees. I have witnessed upper management shouting insults at each other and their subordinates smacking their hands on tables to get attention. The environment had a lot of fear and people tended to work in silos to protect themselves. There were missed opportunities to solve some big problems because people were spending too much time and energy protecting themselves instead of working together. This was by far the most toxic work environment I have ever experienced.

People tend work better when they are encouraged.

Stress+Incompetent Supervisors+Incompetent Senior Management=Terrible Work Environment

Former Employee - Senior Financial Services Representative in Alpharetta, GA (US)

I worked at E*TRADE Financial full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You get paid every two weeks, if and only if your manager remembers to approve time cards with your planned vacation that you reminded him several times that you would be taking. If not, you only get half a pay check maybe, but your budget will be thrown off drastically.

Cons

Senior management promotes by nepotism. If your the husband of some director, you'll get to take a 24 before anyone else who deserves it. If you're the drinking buddy and family vacation taker of the director, senior manager and manager, you'll probably be promoted to Team Lead. This makes it impossible for a rep to feel comfortable with following the chain of command, because the entire chain will be huddled up at each other's homes playing XBOX or whatever they do. This is worse than the rule "it's about who you know". Management in my group never did anything except compose threatening e-mails to the team about bringing in more leads that we wouldn't get compensation on. Senior management and directors don't care about the knowledge of the employee or the hard work and stress they go through, they just promote their frat buddies. I feel bad for the women and minorities. HR is a joke and management exploits that. Management and Senior Management, even if you are doing everything and more than your role requires, if you stay in a position too long, will attempt to force you to quit or force you into a position that you have no desire going to.

If you want the queue numbers to decrease and the lead numbers to decrease, don't hire your drinking buddy who feeds the newer reps BS to tell the customer because they don't know themselves only to result in an escalation. And make sure your other drinking buddy doesn't make it so obvious that you are drinking buddies. Give the rest of the more tenured brokers some sort of hope of advancement even though there is absolutely no chance.

Fairly good

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I have been working at E*TRADE Financial full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It was my first job at E*TRADE and I learnt a lot, given that I was new to the industry.
    Get to know how brokerage and stock plan works. Good team and team-mates to work with.
    Good bonus if you work hard and stand out from others.

Cons

Long working hours.
    Strict time-off policies.
    Less pay/perks.

I am not sure if I should write review because my experiences could likely be quite unique and not necessarily helpful.

Current Employee - Senior Staff Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Staff Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I have been working at E*TRADE Financial full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good health care benefits. Considering the long commute, I get to work from home once in a while. Overall, all I can say is, It could be worse here or elsewhere. May be it's just me.

Cons

Long commute. Almost complete disregard for work transparency. Was accused of sexual harassment falsely. Was not given adequate opportunities. But my experiences may not be representative of the larger set of employees.

E*TRADE Financial Photos