ESPN

ESPN Reviews

Updated Apr 17, 2014

ESPN President John Skipper

John Skipper

Pros:
  • "Great team, Awesome work life balance, Opportunity to learn"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Working for the worldwide leader in sports is a great talking point for your future employer"
    in 9 reviews
Cons:
  • "Needs improvement on work-life balance"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Too much of a locker room mentality/ old boys network, which interferes with and compromises the goals of the company and president"
    in 8 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Amazing Experience to work for a forward-moving company

Bristol, CT (US)

I have been working at ESPN as an intern for less than a year

ProsWelcoming colleagues and friendly employees, great work atmosphere, good benefits

ConsHardly any Cons, other then its a little corporate at times and you may be limited sometimes as far as creativity goes

Advice to Senior ManagementMake it a point to appreciate the people who work under you

Great People, Great Place

Lead Content Editor (Former Employee)

I worked at ESPN full-time for more than 10 years

ProsESPN is filled with remarkable people who just want to put out a great product. The attention to detail and just wanting to be the best

ConsThere are no real downsides other than as it has gotten so big, it has gotten a little corporate

Advice to Senior ManagementAlways make sure you spend time with those under you

Value experience to learn production and management

Content Producer (Current Employee)

I have been working at ESPN full-time for more than 10 years

ProsReputable company - Disney. Gateway to move on to other networks.

ConsLog jam of employees looking for promotion. If you start as a Production Assistant, don't expect to move up the ladder fast.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop writing checks for digital buildings and sports that you can't air the championship to.

It is not like "This is SportCenter" Commercials, but very close

Programming Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at ESPN as an intern for less than a year

ProsESPN is world's leader sports media company for a reason. They have a dedicated focus to serve fans and they have the resources and motivation to do so. Everyone there is very nice to the interns and were very open to chat. While it is a big corporation, it has small aspects of a start-up such as ping-pong tables, awesome gym, game rooms, and a social environment in the cafeteria (The Caf).

ConsSince the industry is constantly changing and ESPN is such a big company the organizational structure can get confusing and frustrating to work with. Senior level work can be cool and meaningful, but it seems like it takes a really long time to reach that level rising within the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue embracing the change in the industry and be open to embracing ideas from the bottom up.

Very neat place to work; compensation a tough sell

Statistics (Former Employee)

I worked at ESPN as an intern for less than a year

ProsAccess to the best in the sports journalism field is tremendous. Being part of the worldwide machine was a neat and unforgettable experience.

ConsThe compensation isn't very competitive (at least relative to other entry-level opportunities elsewhere). Most of the available roles tended to be on the production/content side versus the business/marketing/etc. side.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile it's a solid place to spend part of one's career, please raise the compensation for the employees. Help them not feel like they're always having to make a significant and explicit trade-off between enjoying their work and earning competitive salaries.

Great place to work.

Engineer (Current Employee)
Bristol, CT (US)

I have been working at ESPN full-time for more than a year

ProsHuge opportunity for growth
Great benefits
Willing to take risks
Relaxed work environment
Company focuses on work/life balance and provides opportunity for employees families to be a part of life at work

ConsMight be a little too big
The company can be set in their ways in some respects
Communication and collaboration between areas can be weak leading to duplication of effort

A great place to work with good opportunities

Associate Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at ESPN full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat opportunities to enhance my knowledge in the IT field.

ConsNo cons at this time

Excellent Advancement Opportunity

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at ESPN

ProsA different experience than what I had expected. More work than Play.

ConsI wish they knew how to pay the hardest workers.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease share some bonuses and find ways to make employees feel welcomed.

Good if you want stability, bad if you're motivated to move up

Technical Producer (Former Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I worked at ESPN full-time for more than 3 years

ProsYou get to work with some very talented people. The working environment is great, and there is some autonomy depending on which department you work for.

ConsVery competitive, low salary in comparison to other comparable companies. They can do this because there's high demand to work at ESPN.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate the little people. Get to know who they are!

A good place to start your career, but you won't stay long.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at ESPN full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFun and exciting place to work.

Lots of fun people work there, and you'll be spending a lot of time with them in and out of work.

ESPN people are a definite clique in Bristol, which can be a Pro or Con.

The company picnic at Lake Compounce is a great time.

ConsPay is low because it can be. There's no shortage of resumes coming to this place, so they don't have to pay much to get people to fill roles. Instead they pay you in the ability to say "I work at ESPN" and put those four letters on your resume when you do leave. If you're like most people, you'll make just enough to scratch by living in a small apartment in Bristol.

Rather high turnover, because they hire a lot of young people who get their feet wet, get a little ESPN experience, then get the heck out of Bristol for a better city with more pay.

Bristol is an ugly, boring, somewhat run down little town. You may move out here from someplace else to start that "Dream Job" at ESPN, only to find yourself in a place that isn't exactly full of entertainment options and quite a bit worn in places. Not a knock on the company, per se, but may negatively effect your morale and desire to be here.

Not going to lie; drugs & booze are most definitely prevalent in this companies subculture.

Don't step out of line or HR will punish you severely here. People can, have, and will be fired over the silliest little non-politically correct office prank, joke, or questionable email. They can publish racy photos of naked athletes in ESPN the Magazine, but share those photos at work or (God forbid) display them in your cubicle - that's a trip to sensitivity training with HR, or worse.

There really aren't college sports mascots walking around the halls. ;-)

Advice to Senior ManagementTraining could be improved to make sure people know what they're doing, and if you want to retain your people you need to pay them.

Don't be so PC. It's hypocritical.

Worked for ESPN? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ESPN reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for ESPN CEO John Skipper. All 203 reviews are posted anonymously by ESPN employees.