ESPN

ESPN Reviews

Updated Apr 07, 2014

ESPN President John Skipper

John Skipper

Pros:
  • "Great team, Awesome work life balance, Opportunity to learn"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Working for the worldwide leader in sports is a great talking point for your future employer"
    in 9 reviews
Cons:
  • "Needs improvement on work-life balance"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Too much of a locker room mentality/ old boys network, which interferes with and compromises the goals of the company and president"
    in 8 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Enriching exerience

Senior Applications Architect (Former Employee)
Bangalore

I worked at ESPN full-time for more than a year

ProsComplete access to sports news
Access to event tickets
Very open work culture

ConsLot of resistance to change
Any new technology initiative has to pass through hurdles. Even if it gets accepted its after a long time

Advice to Senior ManagementCut down on processes

Great place to work

I worked at ESPN

ProsLeader in their space and constantly evolving company

ConsMatrix organization with multiple reporting structure

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue investing in growth opportunities

Work Hard Play Hard

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at ESPN as a contractor

ProsElite event access, fair wages, fringe benefits that make it really worth putting in the extra effort

ConsMonolithic hierarchy makes it hard for new employees to gain responsibility and credibility, long hours, relentless commitment to excellence

Advice to Senior ManagementGive newbies a shot at real responsibility, especially temps and interns

Best company I have ever worked for

Scout (Former Employee)

I worked at ESPN full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat company that provides sports information to college teams and websites.

ConsSmaller company so HR questions were not immediately answered, but were within a few days.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't change a thing

Awesome time working at this cutting edge company

Manager, Video Production (Current Employee)
Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at ESPN full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWork in a fast-paced environment with a collaborative staff and engaging managers.

ConsIt is difficult to move up quickly with the huge amount of full time staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing.

Great company, horrible HR

Senior Applications Architect (Current Employee)
Bristol, CT (US)

I have been working at ESPN full-time for more than 5 years

ProsExcellent company to work for, not much perks as people say, even though you can get into Disney parks for free anytime, you are 2000 miles from the nearest park.

If you want a job to seat and do nothing from 9 to 5, you find yourself a great place. Also, if you are not into great technology or great projects to work, yep, here is your place as well.

ConsHR is blocker in any promotion or way to get a better position. They still stuck with slow pace companies and very inefficient. They advocate to low ball all the salaries and try to oversell working for this company, because they know once you start working here, there is nowhere else to go. It is not like working in big cities like NY, Boston, etc. ESPN basically doesn't have to compete with anyone, so, don't expect market range salary here.

Another point is the location, Bristol is in middle of nowhere, nothing much to do around, you need to drive at least 30 minutes to find something.

Not forgetting the most disappointing thing, you have free coffee, however they don't provide cups (that is just the ridiculous part, they say it is for "greener" environment, really?! Recycling program doesn't help?), anyways, if you want to work here, bring your own coffee mug. (it includes some paper cups for your visits as well).

Advice to Senior ManagementAvoid any interference from HR, they may harm the business just by not knowing the real needs.
Also, try to keep the talents, the good ones are leaving every day.

It was a decent environment - too much hierarchical issues IMO.

I worked at ESPN

ProsIt was interesting to work at a place like ESPN; defintely cool to see how the stuff you see on television gets made in person.

ConsI thought there were too many heirarchical issues - low man on the totem pole will get the axe even if the problem had nothing to do with them, but I guess that's just corporate America.

Great experience in Sports broadcasting

Technical Operator (Current Employee)
Bristol, CT (US)

I have been working at ESPN full-time for more than a year

ProsThere are great reasons to work at one of the leading sports broadcasting company in the world. Also to have great perks with The Walt Disney Company, there will be a lot of people you will be ending up meeting different people. The work culture is very open.

ConsHaving to work on weekends and scheduling management for taking holiday is very unorganized and as well as the management team there are some that needs improvement than rather sitting ducks.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more operators to fit the ease of scheduling for everyone that can cover. Management team needs to be friendlier and being humble on certain people.

Its a job...

Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at ESPN full-time

ProsTelling people you work for ESPN is awesome. They are definitely an industry leader and a company that others could take some notes from. The office is very flexible and allows working from home, casual dress, and often ESPN sponsored event which can be fun.

ConsThe work environment of regional offices suffers from massive politics and management issues. A lack of holding people accountable starts at the top and severely impacts lower level employees. People are kept on staff that destroy teams and ruin it for all. No one is ever fired nor reprimanded. They do not offer competitive compensation and the opportunity for advancement is not there in regional offices for most departments.

Enjoyed working as an intern for the ESPY awards

ESPY Green Team Coordinator (Former Employee)
Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at ESPN as an intern for less than a year

ProsGreat work experience and pay
Get to be around well-known people with experience

ConsCrazy hours and schedule
Not enough rest time during work

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Worked for ESPN? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ESPN reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for ESPN CEO John Skipper. All 202 reviews are posted anonymously by ESPN employees.