ESPN

Updated 15 December 2014
3.8

ESPN President John Skipper
John Skipper

Pros
  • Provides ample opportunity for growth in career , work -life balance is encouraged (in 14 reviews)

• clearly the leader in sports media and technology and part of the Disney family (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Hard to maintain work-life balance ( depending on your postion) (in 16 reviews)

• Long hours and traveling was constant (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Interesting, yet often dull

Former Employee - Intern in Fresno, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Intern in Fresno, CA (US)

I worked at ESPN as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Allowed me to have an insider perspective of operations for ESPN Radio. I especially enjoyed utilizing data analysis to back up/research host(s) talking points.

Cons

At times there was simply a lack of work. Some hosts were less than generous in helping find work or projects during those times.

Allow interns to independently create additional projects on certain key topics/segments that hosts are interested in further exploring.

Senior Manager

Former Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY (US)

I worked at ESPN full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

A great company. Good to their employees. Great benefits and incentives & activities.

Everything done there is an excellent product. The best it can be. One can take pride in that. I loved that about the company. It is a class act!

Cons

It's huge company so staffs work life can be dramatically difference. It can feel like you are in a non-stop factory if you are in production, 24/7/365. Some never having holidays or a 2 days weekend off (just 2 single days during the week). OR you can have a stressful and intense but not long hour job as I did. I was compensated very well. Schedules and hours can vary big time from group to group.

They will get you at the lowest salary that they can so get all you can in the beginning. Most people just jump on board to work for ESPN.

If you have to live in Bristol, CT. Well....it's Bristol, CT. Long cold snowy winters.

Don't be so afraid to get rid of upper management that is not good for the company and employees. Too many overpaid positions where people are doing very little and coasting along at the expense of the company, a head count doing nothing but the minimum and creating bad moral for those who report to them. Many people want to be excellent there. Let them and cut the others who seem untouchable for some reason.

Sexual harassment endless, Fraternity Feel, Big egos, Small pay

Former Employee - Associate Producer in Bristol, CT (US)
    Former Employee - Associate Producer in Bristol, CT (US)

I worked at ESPN full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Opportunity to actively work on productions from the start, great to see work one has accomplished make it on-air, good movement between sports and departments

Cons

Work atmosphere is abysmal, horrible conditions for young women who are harassed daily, solicitations on the job, files filled with complaints and no punishments. Absolutely frat feel, little openness to new ideas, good old boys club, only advance if you know the right people.

Get off your butt and actually makes some legitimate sexual harassment policies instead of "we deal with each matter as it comes up" which essentially means we ignore and take no responsibility for anyone. Lead by example, stop hiring big egos and friends of friends.

The shine wore off very quickly

Former Employee - Developer in New Britain, CT (US)
    Former Employee - Developer in New Britain, CT (US)

I worked at ESPN full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You love sports. You know your boss personally. You program in Java. and love Disney.

Cons

Project employees are treated like 2nd class. Company values on the card don't hold true in real life. Kiss up kick down culture. Knowing the existing domain is far more highly valued than technical skill. Very immature technical culture that is not interested in keeping with the times. Beware the project employee; it's just an internal contract that is over with the project with reduced benefits. I can't recommend it to anyone, let alone a friend.

Competitive pay. TV's on every wall (if you like sports).

world wide leader

Current Employee - Announcer in Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Announcer in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at ESPN part-time (more than an year)

Pros

great place and SOOO fun

Cons

dont expect rapid advancement,, there is a lot of ;paying your dues'

just keep on doiin what youre doin

Decent experience

Current Employee - Writer in Bristol, CT (US)
    Current Employee - Writer in Bristol, CT (US)

I have been working at ESPN as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

ESPN name is one that gets ur foot in doors.

Cons

Same as most corporations now...stars get more dough, everyone else sort of fights for peanuts.

Try to think of workers as people, with families, and medical needs, not as ways to reduce the budget when you fire them, or pay them so-so wage.

Intense and sometimes rewarding, but unfocused.

Current Employee - Technology and Operations Analyst in Bristol, CT (US)
    Current Employee - Technology and Operations Analyst in Bristol, CT (US)

I have been working at ESPN full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very exciting and fast moving, with several intangible perks.

Cons

Lack of focus in determining direction

ESPN- To Serve the Fan

Former Employee - Director of Programming in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Director of Programming in London, England (UK)

I worked at ESPN full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I really enjoyed my time working with ESPN and Disney, especially in the London, England office. It was the best years of my career.

Cons

My division was downsized because of financial reason, which is fine, I accept the fact that it was a business.

Send more people on training courses, I found my participation in Leadership Discovery very rewarding and still use aspects I learned almost everyday.

Great place to work! Great people to work with!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

I worked at ESPN full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Young people working hard and doing their best to succeed. Great work enviornment surronded by a "sportish" feeling. Lots of challanges to be faced.

Cons

The company is not its market leader in the country, which makes businees harder here. There is, somehow, a lack of established procedures which makes decision making more difficult.

Do whatever they can to be as big as ESPN is in the US in the local operation.

Very fun

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Bristol, CT (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Bristol, CT (US)

I have been working at ESPN full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People are cool and management is relaxed. Hours are relaxed nobody looking down your throat counting minutes. Do a good job and people dont care how long you work.

Cons

There isnt much going on for a young person in the hartford/bristol area. Theres somewhat of a lack of structure from above, takes a very long time for big projects to develop