EY

Updated Apr 09, 2014

EY Global Chairman and CEO Mark Weinberger

Mark Weinberger

93 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good place if you love accounting, politics, no life, and little privacy

Assurance Senior (Former Employee)

I worked at EY full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat Learning curve with opportunity to learn ALOT

Conspolitics, workload, expectations to work nights and weekends and to kiss ass

Advice to Senior ManagementDont give in to politics

E&Y is a good start of career

Assurance Staff (Current Employee)

I have been working at EY full-time for more than a year

Proson-job coaching, flexible hrs, great firm culture, promising exit opportunities, great transaction from school to business world after school.

Conslong hrs in busy season, longer hrs than normal in non-busy seasons, pressure may be overwhelming sometimes.

Solid company with great resources and benefits, and decent people.

Marketing (Former Employee)

I worked at EY full-time for more than 8 years

ProsLots of resources and training offered; current technology; benefits; hours; and good people. Managers for the most part have been good and if you find one they can help guide your career but it's a huge company where you can be viewed as just a number, so it's up to you to find a mentor. Great if you've just graduated from college or grad school as you can move up but expect to work very hard, work long hours, and pay your dues. It was a solid company to work for with decent salary increases but after the recession, there were many layoffs and like every other company needed to make cuts. Good perks for employees such as sports outings, quarterly luncheons, etc.

ConsYou are just a number and expendable (but that's corporate America). Salary increases can be meager if you are in a department other than finance, tax, accounting, etc. There is always the employee or manager from hell that can ruin your experience or get in the way of climbing the corporate ladder. Some younger managers need to develop better leadership skills.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome managers are absolutely wonderful and wish all the rest could be like you. To others, value the people that get the work done and not just the ones that can schmooze their way.

The people are what make the company great.

IT Audit Staff (Current Employee)

I have been working at EY full-time for more than a year

ProsI enjoy the people that I work with most of all. Yearly raises are typically higher than what you would get in industry. Yearly "promotions" help work not feel so stagnant.

ConsPay is obviously less than what you would get in industry and the hours can be long. While there is a consistent audit methodology there is not much consistency across teams due to differing views of managers and senior managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to get more consistency with how people apply the audit methodology

Senior

Senior Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at EY full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIt was a good experience

ConsThere was no work life balance

Advice to Senior ManagementI would suggest more work life balance

Leadership doesn't worry much about the employees

Advisory Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at EY full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood experience
Good networking
Get the opportunity to take on leadership opportunities for Training, Networking, Business Development, and Mentoring/Coaching of other professionals

ConsThe biggest challenge is with leadership. As a Manager in Advisory, it has been challenging to obtain the right mentoring/coaching from Partners. Salary is low, and very challenging to negotiate, even as a performer that consistently exceeds or significantly exceeds expectations.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe professionals from senior through manager are key to the risk management and success of the firm. Look for ways to integrate these professionals further, aside from Trainings or soft ways in which mentoring/coaching is intended to occur.

Not rewarding experience for my career

IT Audit Staff (Former Employee)

I worked at EY

ProsGood brand name on resume

ConsLack of guidance from managers
Low salary
Lot of politics

Advice to Senior ManagementShow that you want to develop people

Great employer, great experiences depending on the teams you work with.

Assistant Director (Current Employee)
Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at EY

ProsSmart and capable individuals, great benefits and meaningful opportunities to grow.

ConsIndustry isn't the most interesting.

If you can keep your head down you'll do fine

Audit Senior (Former Employee)
Irvine, CA (US)

I worked at EY

ProsDifferent clients and industries keep things interesting, depending on your team it can be fun and you'll make some good friends, 3 weeks vacation which is more than most places plus the option to buy more vacation (but remember it'll cost you)

ConsOf course, no work life balance, blame game is everywhere all the time, unrealistic expectations and very little help as you progress in the firm. Management does not care to hear anything negative though like most corporate cultures they'll say they do. Very little support from upper management so hard to feel like a team.

Advice to Senior ManagementOther than the obvious "hire more people", stop having such a chip on your shoulders to think that you don't have to get your hands dirty in the detail and help out with the actual onsite audit work. It is supposed to be a team after all. Just because it's the way it was done when you were a senior doesn't mean it was done right or needs to stay that way.

Variety of stimulating projects, horrible hours year round, no one cares about your career aspirations

Tax Senior (Former Employee)
Irvine, CA (US)

I worked at EY

ProsVariety of projects, state of the art technology, decent benefits, some work schedule flexibility

ConsLong, long, hours year round, no work life balance, inability to transfer from department to department, career goals not supported

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow employees to transfer to other departments for career development, should not work employees to death with 55-80 hour workweeks

Worked for EY? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at EY reviews and ratings in Los Angeles, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for EY CEO Mark Weinberger. All 93 reviews posted anonymously by EY employees.