EY

EY Reviews in United Kingdom

Updated Jul 22, 2014

EY Global Chairman and CEO Mark Weinberger

Mark Weinberger

Pros
  • Policies on flexible-working supports the principle of a work-life balance(in 199 reviews)

• it's a good place to start your career (max 3 yrs) or good if you have a family(in 98 reviews)

Cons
  • very poor work life balance; not enough staff to meet client needs; quite political(in 582 reviews)

• Same cons as working at any consulting firm -- you will be work long hours(in 634 reviews)

204 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I was an intern for 6 weeks in the London office (HR Advisory team - at the time this was Tax).

Intern (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsI was given the opportunity to absorb and learn from several team members, and my placement manager was considerate in giving one-to-one sessions on a weekly basis to track my goals. I was impressed by the thought and care taken into teaching me organisational structures, how to create documents for clients, etc. There were plenty of social events arranged for interns too, including a ball at the end of the 6 weeks.

ConsThe one issue was being pigeon-holed so early on. Understandably, candidates needed to apply to a business unit. Yet as university students who have had little work experience, we didn't fully understand the differences between EY's many departments during application. After being placed in the one team, there was little opportunity to learn what others were doing.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider exposing interns to other areas of EY in addition to their main department.

Good place to learn and progress quickly but no work life balance and too much travel

Manager - IT Advisory (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGreat place to learn, plenty of training opportunities. Work to solve a forefront business problems, often in the news. Exposure to blue-ship organisations. Flexible working. Soft and supportive culture and working environment. Progression is quick if you push.

ConsVery little work life balance. Too much travel. Mon-Fri away from home for a few years is normal. Promotion process doesn't seem fair in certain areas.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe firm tends to promote certain "consultant" personalities. Technical people are struggle to progress. Need clearer career path for technical staff. And more effort to promote work life balance.

Could be way better

Associate Assurance Technician-Pensions (Former Employee) Manchester, England (UK)

ProsSmall projects therefore big responsibility from the start and hence plenty of opportunity to learn. Frequent secondments into corporate audit which are very useful to broaden the knowledge and experience.

ConsLoads of unnecessary office politics which ruin the working atmosphere and teams, no study leave for certain types of accounting qualifications, disproportionately long hours, effort is not always recognised and rewarded. Management is often distant and unwilling to take responsibility for anything.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe closer to employees and integrate with the team. The management seemed very distant from the concerns of audit executives and juniors which often resulted in unnecessary tension. Consider rewarding those employees who do a good job to improve office culture and team morale.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

valuable experience

Manager (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

Proswide experience and good work colleagues

Conssalary and very long working hours.

Employee friendly and collaborative environment

Audit Executive (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGreat place to work. EY stays ahead of the technical knowledge curve. EY has some of the most talented leadership in the financial services.

ConsLimited opportunities for growth as the performance review makes it very competitive especially when your performance is compared to peers

Very good company to work for

Executive (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsEY is a strong brand which can do wonders for your CV
    In a practice environment you are usually working on different projects with different teams solving different problems, so there is a lot of variety
    People (colleagues and partners) are exceptional

ConsPay not great
    Other benefits not great either
    No real concept of bonuses below senior manager level
    Hours can be extremely long (this is dependent on client - but I haven't had 9-5 hours at all)

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to bring in better technologies to make continuance and acceptance of clients more efficient

Fantastic people and Development opportunities.

Trainee Associate (Current Employee) Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

Pros- Great people & teaming culture
    - Focus on developing talent internally through training courses & exam support
    - Working hours not as bad as other offices/ Big 4

Cons- Audit work in general occasionally quite tedious
    - busy season

Advice to Senior Management- Bonuses please.
    - Align pay to match industry to boost staff retention

not good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Proscurrent young and vibrant culture

Conssenior managers are not up to scratch

Advice to Senior Managementget up to scratch

Brilliant environment to thrive

Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsThe support provided by your seniors is fantastic. There is a wealth of knowledge and opportunity at your fingertips & everyone you meet has a sharp mind. A stimulating place to work and gain great experience.

The firm also has a great ethic - the values and vision are noble and inform the day to day workings within EY.

ConsThis is a minor point but if you are working in Advisory be prepared to travel - a lot. There is an uneven distribution of resources and clients, so you will often find yourself living out of a suitcase for a few weeks. This is a con and a pro in some respects, but the focus of jobs in London places an undue amount of stress on travelling.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn line with the 'con' - please consider a better distribution of resources as there is an awful lot of travelling which is neither budget efficient nor green.

Mostly terrible

Senior Consultant (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsCompetent and ambitious people. Good name on cv

ConsHR sucks and they really try to squeeze money, time and energy out of you whenever they can. For a professional service firm, they are highly unprofessional when it comes to culture and remuneration.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpread the wealth. Partners need to spread the wealth more equally with the more profitable grades and the disturbing culture needs to change.

Worked for EY? Contribute to the Community!