East West Bancorp

East West Bancorp Reviews

Updated Apr 05, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

East West Bancorp Chairman and CEO, East West Bancorp and East West Bank Dominic Ng

Dominic Ng

Appreciation needed

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at East West Bancorp

ProsHelpful colleagues, easy going team

ConsNon-appreciative, boring, bosses don't listen

Advice to Senior ManagementNeeds to listen to employees needs

customer service representative

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
Walnut, CA (US)

ProsGreat environment
Mentorship
Smart engaged people
Decent salary
Strong learning base

Consold outdated systems
traditional style of doing business

Advice to Senior Managementupgrade outdated technology

Disappointing

Vice President (Current Employee)

I have been working at East West Bancorp full-time for more than a year

ProsSolid financial profile and performance for shareholders, lacks many layers of management , China - US bridge banking a mission that sets bank apart from others

ConsSenior leadership lacks caring for employees, little teamwork, much favoritism, and traditional top down way of management. Lack of training programs. Leadership team does not promote positive feedback or communication. Lack of enforcing performance reviews. Cutthroat and pressure on meeting short-term goals. Management makes promises they do not keep to attract employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on improving corporate culture so communication is valued. Engage in seminars so management does not harass employees. Make executives focus less on their profit center. Do 360 reviews of managers. Make good teamwork among regions and product teams a core goal. Study and implement best work practices of American companies.

poor experience

Loan Assistant (Current Employee)

Proseasy entry: Chinese community
nothing else I can bring up

Consa lot of office politics, poor management, short of vision, limited growing opportunites, pitty pay

A very stable job, but with little pay

I have been working at East West Bancorp for more than 5 years

Prosthere is opportunity to grow, they give you stocks as well..

Consvery little pay, total compensation package is not competitive to motivate employees

good company, good colleagues.

Personal Banker (Former Employee)
Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at East West Bancorp full-time for more than a year

Prosgood colleagues, good work environment,I enjoyed my time working in East West Bank, I really love my colleagues, and I learned a lot from them.

ConsIf providing better pay, that would be perfect.

Worst place I ever worked at in 30 years

I have been working at East West Bancorp full-time

ProsGood at managing risks and bottomline.

ConsManagement lacks strategic vision. Growth is by mainly acquisitions and expense control. Focuses on the petty and short term and does not invest in the long term technology, etc. Not willing to pay for expertise and talent, resulting in mediocre employees throughout the middle management and lower ranks.

Employees (even at high levels) are not trusted to make the right decisions so they have little loyalty and high turnover. No transparency and little communication from top to bottom as well as among departments (a bunch of silos).

Customers and employees are not the company's highest priorities.

Like a family

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
Arcadia, CA (US)

I have been working at East West Bancorp part-time for less than a year

ProsNice people
Everyone is a team player

ConsNot much of a chance to advance

Don't work here

Commercial Banking Officer (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at East West Bancorp full-time for more than a year

ProsNothing I can think of.

ConsI will start by saying that I have work for many different banks and hands down it doesn't matter if you work on the retail side or if you work on the commercial side it is terrible here.

First off the pay sucks. Unless you're in upper management right next to Dominic, your pay is going to be terrible.
The culture here is bad, way too many chinese people here and they all have very traditional chinese views on work, inter personal interactions and just about everything else you can think of.
The HR department here in Nor Cal is a complete joke because it consist of only 1 person. Yep, 1 person for their whole HR team. And you think she doesn't play favorites you are wrong.
Also, the management here is really bad, they always micro manage and never tell you the truth. Fear and deceit is all that you get.

So you wonder why people work here? They hire very easily, if you use EWB as your stepping stone then that's fine but stay here too long you might develop a tumor of some sort.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on your HR dept.there is all kinds of harassment happening within this company and no one cares. People are being treated badly and under paid.

I took a substantial pay cut just so I didn't have to work here anymore.

Commercial Banking Officer (Former Employee)
Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at East West Bancorp full-time for more than 3 years

ProsMy previous company (United Commercial Bank) was acquire by East West, which had been our largest competitor. In retrospect, I may not have been the most cooperative holdover, and they were at least patient enough to let me carry on while my work performance suffered. I genuinely enjoyed the work that I did and I don't think the employees were terrible people. The HQ is in Pasadena, which is a nice area.

ConsIt's been quite a few years and I still feel a strong dislike for this company. I feel that the culture is a bit negative, and from my perspective, there was a bit of mistrust. It may have been situational, since we were acquired, but I know it wasn't just me. Many of the ex-UCB employees left when they could. Some of the EWB employees that I befriended were unhappy also. I never felt welcomed as an employee, the department didn't welcome us, people didn't go out of their ways to introduce themselves. It took a lot of effort, we had two different bosses/department heads that were jostling for positioning, and I felt like the red headed step child until the day I left.

Pay is pretty low, the company is a bit petty, and while they do offer work sponsorship, I felt that it was a bit exploitative. It's practically indentured service from the loan assistants that I had talked to.

The middle managers/team leaders were not that smart, competent, or adept as leaders. I will concede that this may be true of this banking niche in general, at least from my outlook (I was pretty young/immature back then) Those with ambitions should not stay as the opportunities are not merit based, but rather relationship oriented. Exit opportunities are not great; I had a difficult time breaking into mainstream banks since no one outside of the Chinese-American banking circle knows about EWB, despite it's size and "prestige."

Worked for East West Bancorp? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at East West Bancorp reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for East West Bancorp CEO Dominic Ng. All 51 reviews are posted anonymously by East West Bancorp employees.