Eastman Chemical

Updated 24 October 2014
4.6

Eastman Chemical Chief Executive Officer Mark J. Costa
Mark J. Costa

Pros
  • Many roles/supervisors are supportive of maintaining a good work-life balance (in 72 reviews)

• The compensation is competitive, especially considering the low cost of living in Eastern Tennessee (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Eastman is a company that is headquartered in a small town and has an aging employment base (in 31 reviews)

• Work/Life balance is frequently just lip service when it comes to direct management (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Very welcoming, high performing culture

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company is dedicated to growth - for it's employees and earnings
    I've had an opportunity to work for some of the best leaders of my career
    I trust my manager
    Heavy focus on welliness - even a '4 dollar healthy meal deal' that is partily paid for by the company
    Really great computer hardware - computers, monitors, phones

Cons

Retirement and health benefits are not top tier
    Some of the people processes could be updated

Be seen more.

One of the best places to work

Current Employee - Advanced Chemical Engineer in Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Advanced Chemical Engineer in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Amazing collaborative culture, good mentoring habbits for new employees and fresh graduates, nurturing environment and very competitve. Excellent work life balance and the benefits are decent. Lots of oppurtunities for training and personal growth

Cons

being a growing company diversity is a fairly new concept. Being a global company, management can spend some time teaching its employees about diversity and immigration in particular.

The future for a great global company to work for.

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time

Pros

The opportuntiy to have personal and professional growth, have exposure and contibute with a diversify community. The company treats employees farly and provide professional opportunities. The change to embrace new cultures, diveristy and strong team work!! New CEO, more changes for a great place to work!

Cons

Sometimes getting out of the comfort zone is a challenge for people. In my opinion, you will always have cons in a company but it also depends in you if you want to make the difference and work hard to obtain what you expect in your professional life.

Motivate new employees! Try to get to know employees for who they are. Support them and make them feel comfortable. Provide more training opportunities.

Valuable Experience

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people and culture of Eastman are great. It means a lot to like the people you work with in such a friendly and collaborative atmosphere. Safety is foremost in everything and that is also comforting. I feel I was compensated well and the benefits were competitive with what is being offered now a days. I feel that my time here was a valuable experience and will be important to my future career path.

I really like Kingsport and all the area has to offer. If you enjoy the outdoors this is a great hub for hiking, backpacking, camping, hunting, etc. The downtown is also being revitalized and there an increasing number of things to do for young professionals in the area.

Cons

I see the relative performance evaluation as causing people to be more competitive than collaborative. The culture is starting to change and not in a good way.

My spouse was never able to find a job in the area (including Eastman, as he is also an engineer), having interviewed several times and was never able to get any feedback. Had he found a job in the area, I most likely would have stayed with Eastman for the long haul.

It's a great company that offers great work/life balance

Current Employee - Chemical Engineer in Longview, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Chemical Engineer in Longview, TX (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You'll find many high-quality individuals that are truly team-oriented and you don't tend to work with many people who are only out for themselves.

Cons

The promotions tend to be few and far between. The benefits continue to get worse over time. Pay is not as good as you would find at some other employers.

The new performance rating system is hurting morale and does not add to employee performance. It should be scrapped immediately.

Eastman is a great place to work and employees are friendly and willing to help you succeed!

Current Employee - Technical Staff Engineer in Longview, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Technical Staff Engineer in Longview, TX (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Not a cut throat environment, there is no competition felt between co-workers. The culture is great and everyone is willing to help everyone succeed, which allows Eastman to succeed.

Cons

Culture is very conservative.

Show some diversity in the management group. Most of the managers seem to all be very conservative.

Great Company to work for

Current Employee - Laboratory Technician in Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Laboratory Technician in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There are job opportunities throughout the company that allows employees to build on their knowledge by getting to work in different areas through out their career at Eastman. Everyone has the same goal - to make Eastman a successful company.

Cons

Once you top out in your bracket there are no other promotion levels and to move into another bracket is very difficult.

New to the Organization

Current Employee - Project Controls Manager in Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Project Controls Manager in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I have receltly started employment with Eastman. So far the onboarding experience has been excellent. The culture and work environment are refreshing.

Cons

I do not have any cons at this time.

Excellent place to work.

Current Employee - Engineer in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to live; good benefits and salary; great attitude in the workplace.

Cons

Like everyone, health care changes brought on by disasterous government laws are negatively affecting health benefits

Never lose sight of where we came from, who we are, and what we value

Great place to work while raising a family!

Current Employee - Engineer in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Eastman has been very supportive to me and my family with transitioning from working as a full-time employee to part-time in order to raise a family.

Cons

Even as a full-time employee, it's very difficult to get promoted no matter how hard you work.

Focus on the things that matter to Millennials as they become a majority in the workforce