Eastman Chemical

Updated 21 October 2014
4.6

Eastman Chemical Chief Executive Officer Mark J. Costa
Mark J. Costa

Pros
  • Many roles/supervisors are supportive of maintaining a good work-life balance (in 69 reviews)

• The compensation is competitive, especially considering the low cost of living in Eastern Tennessee (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Eastman is a company that is headquartered in a small town and has an aging employment base (in 31 reviews)

• Work/Life balance is frequently just lip service when it comes to direct management (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Very Challenging, Rewarding Job

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The work is really challenging and will make you expand your comfort zone. There are multiple opportunities available and give you many avenues to explore during your career.

Cons

Some times there is a hard time to have work-life balance due to current fast pace nature of acquisitions.

Eastman has provided a very fair and dependable income to me and my family for many years.

Current Employee - Team Manager in Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Team Manager in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Fair wages, good benefits, caring managers, ethical company guiding principles

Cons

Becoming more family oriented company by bringing back the Christmas Celebration for our families/kids at Recreation.

Solid company, good pay/benefits, difficult to climb the ladder.

Current Employee - Business Manager in Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Business Manager in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Stable company with solid earnings base which should sustain the company for a long time. The culture is conservative and friendly to all. Good work-life balance at the lower professional levels. I like the focus on health. Acquisitions are exciting to be a part of.

Cons

My main problem at Eastman is the generally slow movement of employees between jobs. This is improving, but at a slow rate. You have to be willing to give up personal time to become Manager, more for Director, more for VP, etc. It would seem that even these "more important" management positions would still need a work-life balance rather than working 60+ hours per week like I see many/most of them doing. Also, the work schedule is fairly fixed. It may be business or site-specific, but in Kingsport, many business basically require an 8-5 schedule.

We say we want to attract and retain top talent, but we don't provide a top employment package. Wages and benefits are "good" but not "top". Top talent will demand top wages/benefits. This is especially true in younger employees who may care less about culture, work-life balance, etc. than a slightly older employee with children. Also, a more flexible work schedule would be a great added benefit that might help retain employees. Consider allowing tele-commuting 2-3 (or even 1) days per week. The more global we become, the less important being in the Kingsport office during Kingsport business hours is.

Working with some of the best people in the world!

Current Employee - Chemical Engineer in Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Chemical Engineer in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My favorite thing about working with Eastman is the people. Most everyone I work with really values and respects me, as a person. I feel like they take the time to invest in my personal and professional life, and it is a very welcoming environment. I never feel afraid to ask questions if I'm unsure of something. It's a collaborative and friendly environment, not to mention our subject matter experts are extremely knowledgeable.
    I also enjoy the opportunities Eastman offers; I get to see many sides of chemical engineering without having to relocate across the country. I am constantly learning and growing at work, and I feel like I am challenged every week. There is also a strong emphasis on safety that I really appreciate.

Cons

There are pitfalls in communication, especially regarding the hiring process. Since starting with Eastman, I've seen a subtle shift towards more competition, especially with the new ranking system. I think that has made it harder to be productive and inclusive.
    The work-life balance is usually very good, but there is little compensation when we have to work overtime. Upper management can set unreasonable deadlines, and it's hard to know how much we can push back.
    While there are many opportunities on-site, it can be very difficult to move around. Management should communicate better between areas to get people into positions where they can excel.

I'd like to see better compensation for those working overtime on big projects. I think we need to work on our communication and negotiations to make sure we are turning over a quality product in a reasonable time. With the current budgets, it is hard for people to get reclassified. I feel like reclassifications should be based more on merit than length of service, and there shouldn't be such a limit to the number of reclassifications in a single group.

Rewarding

Current Employee - Technologist in Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Technologist in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Many opportunities to advance and move around. When the economy limps, Eastman weathers the storm every time. Eastman does well becuse of the many different products we make and of course, the people.

Cons

Dealing with the many different personalities.

Please help us with Health Care. We need more options for our healthcare. Paying full price for doctor visits are very hard for families. I know Eastman is trying to get out of the Health Care business, but many of us would rather have better health care coverage than bonuses or raises. Please give some benefits to the employees instead of taking away benefits. We have seen Retirement, life insuarnce, health care, and bonuses dwindle away over the last several years. I understand that we need to be profittable but I think we need to be more attractive to the job market.

One of the best companies I've worked for. Great salary and good benefits.

Current Employee - Laboratory Technician in Longview, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Laboratory Technician in Longview, TX (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule and vacation time.
    Good benefits.
    Great salary

Cons

New insurance policies Reduced coverage and increased rates.
    Little or no advancement without bachelor's degree

Take into consideration that the employees not always informing the management of their accomplishments are the employees that actually do the most efficient work.

Business Strategy Manager

Current Employee - Market Development Manager in Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Market Development Manager in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Diverse set of projects and opportunities, exciting growth projects in the company, and resources to execute on those projects.

Cons

Smaller town with relatively lmited options for singles or couples with no children. Company is highly matrixed, which can make getting alignmen or acting swiftlyt challenging for large projects.

No Better Place to Work

Current Employee - Advanced Research Scientist in Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Advanced Research Scientist in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I have worked at Eastman for over 30 years, and if I knew then what I knew now, I wouldn't hesitate to start again. Great people and great projects over the years. I look forward to coming to work every day.

Cons

Some of the programs developed to enhance performance can be distracting.

Some of the programs developed to enhance performance can be distracting.

A Positive, Engaging place to work.

Current Employee - Group Leader in Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Group Leader in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Eastman is a great place to be. Our safety culture, our people, and the interesting and challenging things that we get to be a part of every day make it an exciting and fun place to work. Plus - Eastman values my work / life balance as well. I have a good amount of flexibility and great benefits.

Cons

As with any large company, there can be some bureaucracy and red tape to navigate through at times.

While I realize that to be competitive in today's markets, companies can't afford to offer excessive total compensation packages (including salary and all benefits). But, keep in mind that if your package is just 'average', then that's the kind of employees that you are likely to be able to attract - 'average'.

Eastman has been a great experience

Current Employee - Group Leader
    Current Employee - Group Leader

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Eastman has a team oriented culture that supports a work life balance. Within one site there are opportunities for varied career paths.

Cons

To continue to compete for talented employees, Eastman will need to consider further enhancing current salary and benefit packages to entice talent to Eastman locations.