Eastman Chemical

Updated 1 October 2014
4.6

Eastman Chemical Chief Executive Officer Mark J. Costa
Mark J. Costa

Pros
  • I'm glad to see that my initial fears about work/life balance were wholly unfounded (in 55 reviews)

• The compensation is competitive, especially considering the low cost of living in Eastern Tennessee (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Being based out of a small town provides unique opportunities as well as challenges (in 27 reviews)

• Striving to be more global, but HQ still runs most decision making (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent company with great people!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Lots of opportunities for chemical engineers to move around and experience different types of chemical processes and unit operations. This facilitates growth and development. Great teamwork between all levels of the organization. Strong ethics and safety orientation.

Cons

Decision making can be slow at times due to the organizational structure and risk averse culture. The area is rural, so not a lot to do if big city attractions are your preference, but it is a great place to raise a family.

Eastman Chemical will bend over backwards for their employees

Current Employee - Pricing Analyst  in  Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Pricing Analyst in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I cwork at Eastman becasue I am invested in and valued as an individual, not simply a cog in a machine. Despite being offered several other jobs at competing Fortune 500 companies, I chose to remain with Eastman for career and personal development opportunities. When I needed to turn down a promotion requiring a geographic move due to health problems, Eastman worked with me to open an equitable position in my home office.

Cons

The culture at Eastman is slow-to-change, often maintaining traditons because 'that's the way it's always been'. As a high-permorming Millennial, sometimes this can be discouraging and frustrating.

Continue spreading the Adapting for Results mentality.

Love this place!

Current Employee - Human Resources Representative  in  Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Human Resources Representative in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The quality of Eastman employees, from bottom to top, is really incomparable. Not only are most people smart and dedicated, but even more importantly, the company is full of people with strong character. Honesty and integrity is important here. Things get done through collaboration. People here are just NICE. Historically, professional employees have moved from assignment to assignment on a regular basis, which has provided great opportunities to broaden skill sets, build networks, and identify and leverage strengths.

Cons

The collaborative nature of Eastman's culture sometimes impedes decision-making processes; at times, too many people are given too much say.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A Top Notch Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time for less than a year

Pros

The culture is phenomenal. Everyone wants to contribute, learn, and grow at their maximum capacities. The leadership in this company is great, and is able to get the most out of it's people. This is the best company in the region to work for because of the commitment to its employees and the communities that it serves. There is a clear vision that everyone can follow here, and everyone is on board.

Cons

The con can also be a pro for some. This is a small town when it comes to life outside of work. If you enjoy the mountains and outdoor activites, this region is the place for you. If you enjoy urban life and the culture that bigger cities have to offer, you may be disappointed. I will say Kingsport is on the move, and it is looking for opportunities to accomodate this problem.

Thank you for continuing to grow our company, and for your focus on building a sustainable future for generations to come.

This company makes me feel safe and secure!

Current Employee - Operations Helper  in  Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Operations Helper in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very military friendly, Safety of people is the number one priority, very military friendly. They are extremely flexible with my National Guard drill schedule. The work load is very manageable. I feel like I have been set up for a long successful career since my first interview.

Cons

Most entry level jobs are shift work, It takes a while to get hired. Some of the entry level jobs are very monotonous and usually the apprenticeship is in a different division than you started in. Just when you start getting a feel for the division you have to learn a whole new set of procedures and essentially a totally different culture in some cases.

Eastman is a great place to work!

Current Employee - Supply Chain Analyst  in  Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Supply Chain Analyst in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

In the area where I live, Eastman is the best place to work. It is a very successful company that is growiing. It has a history of stability and success. Overall pay and benefits are very good. Eastman will invest in developing people so there are many opportunities for continued learning. Eastman also invests in technology and provides the best tools available for doing your job. I work with a good team of people that feel more like family than co-workers.

Cons

For me personally, I cannot think of a negative aspect of working at Eastman.

While I think it s good that the company is growing, I hope it does not change so fast that we lose what has made Eastman successful in the past. I think the culture of this company has been a key reason for the success.

I have worked for Eastman Chemical Company for 38 years. I and am currently a legal assistant in the Legal Department.

Current Employee - Legal Assistant  in  Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Legal Assistant in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I enjoy the work I do. I have great co-workers. I enjoy the opportunity to work a flex schedule.

Cons

They are continually shrinking benefits for employees. For example, I was 5 months away from getting six weeks of vacation, and Eastman cut out that option. For retirees after 1/1/2015, one cannot buy life insurance through Eastman - Eastman will give only $10,000 to retirees after this year.

Compensate and reward your loyal employees who have given their lives for this company. The raises and profit sharing have been abysimal in recent years, even though the company is thriving. It leads to bad employee morale..

Most Enjoyable work Atmosphere I have worked in.

Current Employee - Business Organization Specialist  in  Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Business Organization Specialist in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexibility
    Independence in work
    Pay
    Friendly atmosphere
    great work life balance

Cons

As with any compnay some software IT issues need to be resolved to help improve process work flows

Always keep Flexibility and continue to recognize employees for job well done

A rewarding, family-like place to work.

Current Employee - Process Improvement Engineer  in  Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Process Improvement Engineer in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time for more than a year

Pros

Eastman has a culture with safety at the forefront and collaboration not far behind.The work is decent, the hours are fair, but the people are great. Everyone is so friendly and ready to help each other it really makes things go quickly and things just seem to get done.

Cons

The smells aren't great and the location is less than ideal, but for a chemical company not much better can truly be expected.

Don't forget the little people. Compensation and benefits go farther than you may think.

Proud to work for Eastman

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Capelle (Netherlands)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Capelle (Netherlands)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very high quality organisation. Management attracts good people and is able to get the best out of them. Very good work ethics. Very strong supply chain, confirmed by customers. Good tools to work with: hardware, software. People tend to stay for a very long time with the company and are usually very motivated.

Cons

Some jobs are being rotated very quickly internally. This means you are dealing with changing people in those jobs. The other thing is that the company culture is rather towards executing known paths forward instead of taking risks into new opportunities. So innovation and entrepreneurial behaviour is a challenge.

Try to encourage innovation by directing people towards it; reward innovative behaviour and facilitate it by defining certain teams with appropriate reporting lines and authority.

Worked for Eastman Chemical? Contribute to the Community!