Eastman Chemical

Updated 28 January 2015
4.6

Eastman Chemical Chief Executive Officer Mark J. Costa
Mark J. Costa

Pros
  • Many roles/supervisors are supportive of maintaining a good work-life balance (in 79 reviews)

• The compensation is competitive, especially considering the low cost of living in Eastern Tennessee (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Eastman is a company that is headquartered in a small town and has an aging employment base (in 31 reviews)

• Work/Life balance is frequently just lip service when it comes to direct management (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company to work.

I have been working at Eastman Chemical

Pros

Organised and a nice place to work. They provide you same kind of working environment as others by providing same kind of laptops etc with limited access.

Cons

As a contractor it is very hard to use their laptop as sometimes one needs to get information online specially if you are in R&D Department but due to limited access one can't use his/her abilities fully and in this way can't perform the job they need to perform.

Either don't hire contractor in R&D department or give them access to your libraries and scientific journals like ACS.

Strong company w/ old school culture

Former Employee - Laboratory Technician in Longview, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Laboratory Technician in Longview, TX (US)

I worked at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-Great Pay
    -Great People
    -Challenging Work
    -Honest
    -Great Benefits!

Cons

-In my two+ years a lot of changes occurred at all levels. Created a tough working environment at times.
    -The facilities and labs need major upgrading.

Eastman is a great place to work, learn and be valued

Current Employee - Market Development Manager
    Current Employee - Market Development Manager

I have been working at Eastman Chemical

Pros

Eastman is a very innovative company which provides different paths for you to develop a strong career. The company is flexible, very results-oriented and it is always posing challenges to the teams. I feel valued at Eastman and like very much the way the company and my co-workers act and make decisions. Eastman is concerned about people from safety, health and family issues. My quality of life improved a lot after joining Eastman.

Cons

The company has made some acquisitions and people need to adapt to this new environment. It is just a matter of being adaptable but I am happy to see the company's growth! This is more a challenge than a cons.

New Recruits beware!

Former Employee - Technical Service Manager/Sales Development Manager in Kingsport, TN (US)

I worked at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than a year)

Pros

1. Collaborative Environment is excellent.
    2. People at Kingsport/regional sites are excellent.

Cons

1. If you are recruited to work at Eastman, be prepared to be used for the following information with little reward:
          a. Connections of a focus industry if you come from that industry.
          b. Manager not to be involved in your skill set development.
          c. Little Career Advancement because your manager will be a fellow Eastman colleague when you start. The manager will be promoted as a result of your experience/knowledge.
          d. Constantly yelled out by my manager who had little experience in the industry compared to myself.
    2. Overall Benefits are terrible. Health benefits are not good and minimal salary increases are given.
    3. Corporate Credit Card is really a personal credit card given by the company which the company reimburses for approved expenses.

1. Appreciate your recruited employees better.
    2. Improve your benefits.

Working for Eastman is becoming overrated.

Current Employee - Operations in Anniston, AL (US)
    Current Employee - Operations in Anniston, AL (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Employees can expect insurance and a paycheck. You can expect average wages with a declining benefits package.

Cons

Eastman does not care for their employees. We have a satellite human resource representative from another site. Questions constantly go unanswered while employees are left in the dark to figure out what we are losing next. We just lost our gym memberships after moving to a CDHP. They want you to be healthy, you just wont get any help from the company to get to that point. I hope you are not used to a Christmas bonus. Eastman's policy is $10 per person. Yes, a slap in the face. If you are a Christian, you probably won't even here Merry Christmas . It is replaced with Happy Holidays. The Managers don't listen. Production is a major priority while safety falls to the rear. The managers want all the credit when things are going good, but when things start going bad they want to blame the men in coveralls ( after you told them what was wrong). If Eastman wants to be the number one chemical company in the world they have a long way to go.

Listen to your employees, they are not as dumb as you think. We are all in this together trying to work toward a common goal. We want to make Eastman a better place to work. Success starts at the bottom and goes up. It doesn't trickle down from the top. Try being good to your employees. If you want to be the best, you have to treat them like the are the best. Prediction: our company rank will continue to fall on glassdoor.

Longevity

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time

Pros

I have been working with Eastman for over 20years in from entry level engineering to management. I have had opportunities to travel, learn and grow personally and professionally. The training and support given to the employees is superb. Throughout my career, I have given freedom and support to pick up the ball and run. Compensation is above average for the area. Eastman employees pride themselves on being ethical and hardworking.

Cons

Recent changes in benefits have the net effect of a pay cut. Senior leadership seems out of touch with the manufacturing employee and come across as egomaniacs. . We are a manufacturing company not a sales and marketing company but doesn't feel that way sometimes.

Over the years, senior leadership has changed from home grown to store bought. Along with that has come great commercial success but there is growing rift between the business leaders and the manufacturing world. Its a tough balance I know but there is lots of talk about people being our number one resource but feel like it only applies to those outside of manufacturing. How about showing some more humility in leadership?

Great people, diverse work opportunities, ethical culture

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Eastman people are friendly, helpful, and always glad to share their knowledge and experience. Work schedules for most of us allow good work/life balance. At world headquarters in Kingsport, TN, there are opportunities to work in a huge variety of work assignments without having to relocate or change employers, so you need never grow bored or underchallenged. I go home each day feeling like I've made a difference for the good of other people (and myself). The pay is good, especially considering the low, small-city cost of living. Home-wise, we get the best of all worlds because the Tri-Cities has everything most of us need or want, and there are several good-sized (but not large or crime-ridden) cities within a few hours' drive for those who want bigger-city opportunities on weekends. Eastman is a good neighbor, helping fund local events and fully supporting the United Way, among other efforts.

Cons

The good work-life balance doesn't reach everybody; some business people are attached to their i-phones 24/7, and operators mostly work swing shifts which are hard on the body and mind. Benefits have eroded over the years (but are still good compared to other employers). "Benchmarking" seems to mean all peer companies are in a downward spiral as the best companies make a mad race to mediocrity, bringing the average down. There seem to be artificial caps on promotions so on average, it is a long time between merit reclassifications.

Benchmark against the best instead of the average, when deciding whether your pay and benefits are where they need to be.

Good company

Current Employee - Chemical Operations in Longview, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Chemical Operations in Longview, TX (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

goodpay and hard work always

Cons

changing, added lots of young people

Great place to leave

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Martinsville, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Martinsville, VA (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time

Pros

Almost everything is great !

Cons

More super experienced bureaucrats like R&D Manager at Martinsville, a virtuoso of safety meetings !

Excellent company and location

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very positive working environment, excellent prospects for advancement across businesses, forward-looking management, strong technical competencies, seen as a valuable business partner with customers

Cons

Still quite a bit of the old boys network in existence, but decreasing little by little. Healthcare costs are increasing and we are feeling it, especially with the "consumer driven healthcare plans"

Be sure to consider how all levels of employees live and are compensated. Open up decision-making processes more and more to alleviate the feeling of back-room deals/decisions.