Eastman Chemical

Updated 16 September 2014
4.6

Eastman Chemical Chief Executive Officer Mark J. Costa
Mark J. Costa

Pros
  • Eastman is a unique place that values work-life balance and giving back to the community (in 41 reviews)

• Pay packages are competitive, especially when you take into account the low cost of living in Kingsport (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Being based out of a small town provides unique opportunities as well as challenges (in 23 reviews)

• Sometimes to much burocracy which is taking the speed out of the decision making process (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

Eastman a great place to buidl a career

Current Employee - Vice President Technology  in  Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Vice President Technology in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The people, the culture and the vision for our company are all reasons I feel blessed to work for Eastman. Recent financial success of the company positions us well for continued growth and investment. Eastman has demonstrated a commitment to innovation.

Cons

The pace of work and the balance of work and family is challenged at times.

Maintain the focus on innovation and growth.

By in large, employment with Eastman Chemical has been a fullfilling experience.

Current Employee - Laboratory Technician Associate  in  Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Laboratory Technician Associate in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The collaborative environment within work groups is refreshing. Total compensation is as good if not better than most organizations the immediate area but could be improved to help retention. Family oriented.

Cons

In certain areas, the decison making process is a bit too conservative.

EASTMAN CHEMICAL

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Pay above minimum wage; lots of sites; varying jobs

Cons

not many job postings on line for internal transfers

Although not everyone has the required Bachelor's Degree, there are still some very good employees that have given their all and are not in the grave yet and still need a chance to do a dedicated job well. Need opportunities to work in challenging areas too.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not starstruck, but overall, a pretty sweet deal.

Current Employee - Integrated Global Supply Chain  in  Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Integrated Global Supply Chain in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are many great opportunities in my organization right now to step up, advance, gain training, experience and responsibility. Eastman culture is highly focused on developing people.The pay is competitive, and the work life balance is really fantastic.

Cons

Highly bureaucratic and risk-averse environment, takes a long time to make any decisions. The decision is often to just keep doing what we're doing, even if it's clearly not the best answer. We are just afraid to try something different, because failure is not okay. We could be better!

Part of our culture is that we never like to say no to anyone, even if two groups are asking for totally different things. Sometimes there isn't a perfect answer, but that doesn't mean you can just sidestep making a decision. Pick a strategy, say it out loud, and stick to it all the way through. Also, if you really want us to be more innovative, then you have to give us some room to fail, learn and grow.

Love working here!

Current Employee - Specialist  in  Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Specialist in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Company culture, benefits, flexible work schedules and ethical employees.

Cons

Need to take more risk.

Take more risk, reward employees for that.

Overall decent company

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time

Pros

- nice working environment
    - reasonable work life balance

Cons

- limited career progression
    - little job rotation

- inject more job rotation and career progression

Very challenging and rewarding job for the past 20+ years

Current Employee - Technology Manager  in  Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Technology Manager in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The people that I have worked with over the years have been great. We work hard together to achieve a goal but have lots of fun doing it along the way.

Cons

The company needs to be faster to market by making quick decisions and accept the fact that sometimes your not always right. We spend too much time shooting for perfection.

Get out to the plants more and see where it all happens.

Very fullfilling career with many opportunities and challenges presented in my 20 years with the Company.

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The culture is team oriented and supportive. The people are fantastic to work with. The small town atmosphere of a global company headquarters is unique, and the town embraces Eastman and what is means to this region.

Cons

More diversity in senior leadership positions is needed. The company needs to ensure that the candidate pool for next generation leaders in being developed to be robust, diverse and reflective of the ideals of our employee base

Continue to listen for different views. There are many paths to the same result - don't squelch a person's enthusiasm if they chose to go about reaching that result in a different way. Also, senior leadership should focus on strategy and developing leaders instead of micromanaging their functions/business.

Not quite what it used to be but still the best (paying) place in the area to work

Current Employee - Chemical Operator  in  Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Chemical Operator in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

In my 21 years at Eastman I have never had to worry about a lay off or plant shutdown. The job security can not be beat by any other company in the area. They pay is higher than other places in the area and the benefits are for the most part better.

Cons

Hourly employees are an afterthought. Every program that the company rolls out to benefit employees is geard for that small group that works a straight day shift schedule. The blue collar workers are left on the outside looking in at things like the wellness centers if we have a family that we want to spend time with. The pay is also lacking for the work that is done. The operations and maintenance workers are a very highly skilled group (for the most part) but the pay is based on local companies not global chemical companies. This is unlike the engineering jobs that have their pay based on a global market.
    Hourly employees have very limited chances to advance or even change areas of the plant if they are unhappy or not satisfied with their current job.

Remember that Eastman was founded on a core group of principles that saw the company grow into what it is today. When George Eastman started an acetyl and chemical plant on the banks of the Holston river he realized that his success depended on the sweat and labor of his employees and that has not changed even today.

HOSTILE WORK ENVIRONMENT!!! Homophobic, Racist, Redneck Good Old Boys run Eastman Chemical...

Current Employee - Chemical Plant Operator  in  Longview, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Chemical Plant Operator in Longview, TX (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They pay you every two weeks ($31.46 hour Operator)... Small yearly bonus (some years)... Bare bones health insurance... 40 hours of paid vacation each year...

Cons

Company is ran by racist homophobic goof old boys!!! Few opportunities for advancement unless you related to someone in a position of power. Forced to work an insane amount of overtime due to manpower shortages. Lower than average pay. Operators and Maintenance workers are not valued by the company. Day workers and office personnel are given priority within the company.

Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual and Transgendered employees are openly discriminated against by Eastman Chemical. Same sex spouses are excluded from insurance. Also, employees with same sex spouses are excluded from emergency leave and excluded from bereavement leave. It will be challenging for Eastman Chemical to recruit and retain the best and brightest employees until all employees are welcome and included!!!
    Very poor work-life balance at Texas Eastman for Operations due to manpower shortages. Operators are required to work insane hours of overtime and are forced to transition from days to nights within 24 hour periods. It is not uncommon to have one one day off per month while working 12 hour rotating shifts.
    Eastman Chemical has no mentoring programs and unless an employee is related to someone in power that have zero chance for advancement.

Worked for Eastman Chemical? Contribute to the Community!