Eastman Chemical

Updated 17 November 2014
4.6

Eastman Chemical Chief Executive Officer Mark J. Costa
Mark J. Costa

Pros
  • Many roles/supervisors are supportive of maintaining a good work-life balance (in 80 reviews)

• The compensation is competitive, especially considering the low cost of living in Eastern Tennessee (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Eastman is a company that is headquartered in a small town and has an aging employment base (in 31 reviews)

• Work/Life balance is frequently just lip service when it comes to direct management (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Valuable Experience

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people and culture of Eastman are great. It means a lot to like the people you work with in such a friendly and collaborative atmosphere. Safety is foremost in everything and that is also comforting. I feel I was compensated well and the benefits were competitive with what is being offered now a days. I feel that my time here was a valuable experience and will be important to my future career path.

I really like Kingsport and all the area has to offer. If you enjoy the outdoors this is a great hub for hiking, backpacking, camping, hunting, etc. The downtown is also being revitalized and there an increasing number of things to do for young professionals in the area.

Cons

I see the relative performance evaluation as causing people to be more competitive than collaborative. The culture is starting to change and not in a good way.

My spouse was never able to find a job in the area (including Eastman, as he is also an engineer), having interviewed several times and was never able to get any feedback. Had he found a job in the area, I most likely would have stayed with Eastman for the long haul.

Great Company to work for

Current Employee - Laboratory Technician in Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Laboratory Technician in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There are job opportunities throughout the company that allows employees to build on their knowledge by getting to work in different areas through out their career at Eastman. Everyone has the same goal - to make Eastman a successful company.

Cons

Once you top out in your bracket there are no other promotion levels and to move into another bracket is very difficult.

Great place to work

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The employees have a strong work ethic with a focus on working safely.

Cons

As seems to be a trend across the industry, benefits have declined over the years. Ultimate insurance costs for the employee continues to rise while compensation for the average employee seems to struggle to keep up with the escalating cost of living.

Maintain a strong focus on benefits and compensation for all employees. These two items will determine our ability to continue to attract and maintain top talent.

Great job opportunities and talented employees make Eastman Chemical an excellent employer.

Current Employee - Chemical Engineer in Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Chemical Engineer in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical (more than 10 years)

Pros

Eastman Chemical is an ethical, environmentally responsible chemical company. The employees are talented and driven to succeed. The atmosphere is friendly. There are a variety of interesting projects and substantial company growth has yielded excellent opportunties for promotion.

Cons

One of the major challenges has been the difficulty in hiring/retaining employees in relatively small cities.

Eastman is a growing company that cares about me and my peers.

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Eastman's care for its employees is evident in the core values (Safety expectations, Fair Treatment, Eastman Advantage), employee development (including leadership development) and focus on wellness / work-life balance.

Cons

Growth is very positive. However, with growth there is resource dilution and increased complexities (existing comprensation strategies may not fit every area that Eastman in which has empolyees, etc.) which must be managed.

See above.

My scepticism proved wrong - the Eastman team is the key

Current Employee - Finance in Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Finance in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Though Eastman has been going thru several acquisitions recently putting extra work on many employees, they remain open, friendly and always willing to help. Management sets the tone and repeatedly emphasizes importance of Safety & Wellbeing in addition to other Core Values. Strategy of the Company is well communicated and there are plenty exciting job opportunities.

Cons

Eastman is located in North-East Tennessee with limited access to small, family owned restaurants and entertainment opportunities you are used to from a bigger city. However, the approximity to the Smokies, the beach and many historical places is awesome for outdoor activities and travels.

Consider integration efforts beyond the workplace as a benefit factor for new hires who did not grew up in Tri-Cities

Eastman is a great place to work.

Current Employee - Market Insight and Strategy Manager in Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Market Insight and Strategy Manager in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I really enjoy the challenge of my job and working with a team of top-notch professionals.

Cons

The challenge I face is managing multiple assignments and getting work prioritized to the best opportunities to pursue.

Trust and empower the employees to manage their areas of responsibility.

Best place I have worked. High standards and high morals

Current Employee - Senior Credit Analyst in Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Credit Analyst in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company is truly dedicated to the community and giving back to employees.

Cons

Sometimes just a little to strict.

Great Company to Work For!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Eastman provides so many opportunities to grow your career both locally and globally. I have found that I have developed professionally and have a sense of contribution since I have been at Eastman. As a new employee, I have found that others within my team took the extra time to mentor me and solicite feedback from me about my expertise. Although Eastman is a large company, the culture is close knit, friendly and collaborative. I love working for a company that is so innovative and plays a vital part in products that touches our lives every day.

Cons

Overall, the benefits are great, but it would be even better if out of pocket deductables were a little lower. The monthly premiums are the lowest that I have had with any other company, so I guess it balances out.

Great company!

Current Employee - Advanced Research Scientist in Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Advanced Research Scientist in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company really fosters a collaborative work environment where the employees, especially in technology, are encouraged to interact with each other for the betterment of the company. The company also seems to genuinely care for its’ employees, which makes sense, as happy employees are good employees. And the company has switched its focus to become more customer focused. Meaning they are interacting with customers more often to develop new technologies. This will lead to new commercial products in a shorter period of time.

Cons

As I have only been working at Eastman for a short period, I have not found any negatives as of yet. I guess the area could be a concern for some as it is not located in a metropolitan area, but East TN is beautiful, and if you enjoy the outdoors, there are not many better places to be located.

The customer focused initiatives are great and should help grow the company. The purchasing of other companies to expand the portfolio is also great and important to the company’s future. Keep it up!