Echo Global Logistics

Echo Global Logistics Reviews

Updated Apr 20, 2014

Echo Global Logistics CEO and Director Doug Waggoner

Doug Waggoner

Pros:
  • "Echo Dallas has a great work environment for someone who wants to work hard and play hard"
    in 16 reviews
  • "We even have beer Fridays and get to wear jeans"
    in 9 reviews
Cons:
  • "Commission structure changes frequently (for the worse)"
    in 12 reviews
  • "Base Salary sucks and it takes a while to build business"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good third party logistics company to work for.

Accounting Clerk (Former Employee)

I worked at Echo Global Logistics full-time for more than a year

ProsGood corporate culture. Supports its people. Many opportunities for learning.

ConsThe location is a minus. Not a lot of choices for frugal meals. No fast food restaurants in the vicinity.

Advice to Senior ManagementShould have an open door policy.

Good to start

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Echo Global Logistics

ProsTraining. Good place to get some initial experience.

ConsEverything else. Not the best place to come into everyday.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork to eliminate the cutthroat atmosphere.

Young and fun company to work at, but managment not always clear on direction company is headed.

Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat place to make and learn from mistakes.

ConsUnclear career path, stressful in unnecessary situations, high turnover

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter communication to employees, leading by example, be more personable with employees

Echo Dallas, a great place to learn both sales and transportation management

Account Executive (Current Employee)
Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat Co workers, dedicated managerial and executive staff. The company is growing at such a rapid pace, there is a lot of room for internal promotion.

ConsIn my tenure thus far, i have not seen any cons worth noting. At the pace the company is growing, its good to see that they have kept most everyone happy!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the dedication and face time within the branches, it helps motivate employees!

Eh.

Client Sales Representative (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Echo Global Logistics full-time for less than a year

ProsOkay company culture, a decent incentive every once in a while. Great coworkers, regular paycheck.
Industry-leading "proprietary" technology, okay brand name.
Solid [paid] training for the industry.
Nearly no petty micro-managing; freedom to put Echo's name and resources to the test while attempting to close billion-dollar companies.
Good comprehensive small-business experience.
Still a young company.

ConsHorrible operational support; this is more an "account executive" position, and the sales side diminishes quickly over time.
Very poor commission structure; less than 15% of the entire sales force hits "commission" (that is, makes more than the base salary) within the first 12 months of "hitting the floor." Furthermore, client sales trainees don't hit the floor for a good couple of months, so you can expect to be looking at 14-18+months before you make over base salary.
Despite above, this is actually more of a "customer service" position, as you will be in the "business of apologizing."
Nearly impossible to be ethical and make a good paycheck (not just Echo, but 3pl's as a whole).
Ridiculous rate of turnover amongst employees and management alike.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere should be a dichotomy between sales and operations, otherwise the rate of your return on employees in "client sales" goes down drastically over time.

Not for the unmotivated.

Client Sales Representative (Current Employee)
Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat opportunities to make money and learn

After a year you will be an expert in the Logistics industry.

ConsCan be a 24/7 job.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone as of yet.

Below Average Career Opportunity

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics

ProsYoung and fun work environment.

ConsPoor pay, management doesn't stick to their word.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more consistency

Lots of busy work/ low pay / replaceable

Account Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time for less than a year

ProsGood place to start out and get something on your resume

ConsFrat house. Young inexperienced managers. Too much hiring from within which means you get people with Echo tunnel vision. The bureaucracy is to have systems in place so that everyone is replaceable. You spend most of your time creating paper trails to cover your ass. Most people have extra part time jobs on the weekend to cover the cost of living in Chicago. A team lead's sole purpose is to micro-manage and squeeze more work out of you. It doesn't seem like anyone gets a chance to take a lunch break so everyone eats at their desk. Then they bribe you with beer on Friday. If you paid more we could all buy our own beer.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't know. Never get to interact with any of them because I'm low on the food chain.

Excellent Training, Few Opportunities for Long Term Growth

National Account Manager (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Echo Global Logistics full-time for more than a year

ProsThe LTL training program was excellent. They've reformatted it a bit since I was hired, but Echo was my first supply chain job. It was a thorough and comprehensive introduction to LTL transport.

ConsVery high turnover. Salesmen complain of "lead-lock," or a lack of available prospects to call on. Disputes over leads and accounts are frequent and usually settled in favor of senior reps, so it's difficult to gain traction as a young salesperson. Sweeping changes in benefits and commission structure were made without warning.

Work amongst peers but tough to be more than just a number

Inside Sales (Former Employee)

I worked at Echo Global Logistics full-time for less than a year

ProsIf you're a young person just starting out, this is a great first job in Chicago. Nearly all of the 300+ employees in Chicago are between 23-30. Easy to make friends as most people are in the same boat, first job in Chicago, don't plan on staying there for very long.

ConsA new recruiting class of 20 every month. You are not much more than a number and if you aren't catching on the company will not hesitate to cut you loose. There is a lot of external competition in this industry in Chicago, but the enormous amount of sales reps in the company creates an enormous amount of internal competition. High volume/small margin approach makes it exceedingly difficult to reach commission threshold.

Advice to Senior ManagementHaving a better system for handling old leads could allow customer sales reps to have more success.

Worked for Echo Global Logistics? Contribute to the Community!

Echo Global Logistics Videos

Echo Global Logistics – Why Work for Us?

Take a look at the future of logistics... take a look at Echo. Driven, energetic and motivated – the Echo team is made of like minded individuals with one common thread, an opportunity to jumpstart a career at a… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Echo Global Logistics reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Echo Global Logistics CEO Doug Waggoner. All 103 reviews are posted anonymously by Echo Global Logistics employees.