Edelman

Updated 19 November 2014
4.1

Edelman President and CEO Richard W. Edelman
Richard W. Edelman

Pros
  • Lots of resources available to employees and good work-life balance culture (in 64 reviews)

• Many smart people to work with on a diverse portfolio of projects (in 62 reviews)

Cons
  • Extremely high work pressure means that work life balance is adversely impacted (in 135 reviews)

• Junior staff are expected to work long hours, with minimal financial compensation (in 96 reviews)

More Highlights

Talented Teams, Dream Clients, High Expectations

Current Employee - Senior Account Supervisor in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Account Supervisor in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Edelman has far and away the most talented teams in the industry and subsequently has a dream client list. Everyone is smart and hard-working (if you're not, you're driven out pretty quickly), so it's easy to respect everyone you work with.

We have unparalleled access to resources and the company value of "entrepreneurial spirit" isn't just marketing hype - I genuinely feel like I can drive change and make things happen without red tape, both internally and externally. That said, if you like a lot of attention or hand-holding, it's definitely not the agency for you.

Cons

Grueling pace and high expectations make for long hours and stressful days.

Overworked, Work Politics, and No Growth

Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Edelman full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

PTO policy is decent. Free cereal/oatmeal on Mondays and free ice cream on Fridays is okay. Starbucks coffee beans is a good plus as well as milk machine.

Cons

There is no work-life balance. People are overworked and not rewarded for hard work. Training is not good and management is clueless. They only look after people who know how to work the office politics. It's who you know not what you know. There also is no room for growth here.

Reward your hard workers or they will get fed up and leave. Also, it would be helpful to put something in place where you can see some career progression and not have employees fall into a black hole. Lastly, it is necessary to stop favoritism and stop hiring family members or friends of other employees who are not qualified for the job.

PR or Social, you'll love it. Integrated marketing outfit with creative firepower, you might be wanting.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent PR agency, with a reputation to match. Strong social media side of the agency. Admirable initiatives such as GWEN.

Cons

Great PR / Social agency, so it has a lot to offer in the comms space. It competes less successfully in the integrated-marketing or brand-driven space. Lead, creative agency networks bring deeper channel planning and creative talent to bear in these cases. Apparent in pitch results. Creative is also an issue. Ninety-percent of creative is developed by account management. Very few offices have trained, conceptual creative development resources. Even here in London, a major hub, there's a very small creative team. The culture's definitely friendly, but it's also very cliquey.

Build around existing core competencies. Invest in creative properly, hiring reputable creative directors and allowing them to build a creative product. Shake up the culture.

Lots of opportunity, not always great talent

I worked at Edelman full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Edelman is a loyal company with many directions to grow in and learn. There is some amazing talent within the company, and the CEO leads by example.

Cons

There are a lot of politics to deal with and lengthy processes. You need to want to play the political game, and know that for every amazing talent you work with, there's an equal amount of poor talent.

Be very mindful of who you choose to run your team(s) and make sure they are the right fit.

Evolving

Current Employee - Executive Vice President in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Executive Vice President in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Smart and deeply committed staff. Digital practice group is highly creative, and recently added strong new creative talent.

Cons

Can be siloed and cliquish, not just in the office but throughout the region. Collaboration happens, but not as seamlessly as it should.

Quiet Internship

I worked at Edelman as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Really fun people to work with, strong internship program

Cons

Dull work, competitive employees, and small office

Incredible talent, crushing hours

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The best talent and the best clients. Opportunity to learn a lot of facets and best practices of the PR business. Excellent perks and benefits.

Cons

Hours can be long and unpredictable. Switch groups, accounts, etc. or risk being pigeonholed. The transition from traditional PR to what Richard Edelman calls "communication marketing" is uncertain and frustrating at times, though I think that's unavoidable.

Managers need to try new things too, but sometimes it feels like we're too expensive to be allowed to take risks.

<3 Edelman

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Leadership, growth opportunities, value, all great.

Cons

Work/life balance is what you'd expect working at the world's largest PR agency - if you do your research you'll know this coming in.

A breath of fresh air. I'm beyond happy being here.

Current Employee - Junior Copywriter in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Junior Copywriter in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Edelman full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Incredibly inclusive culture. People are fun and social and welcoming. I feel respected, encouraged, and supported in my role here. I feel incredibly lucky to be a part of this team. Edelman is doing some groundbreaking things--no longer just in the PR world, they are a social agency doing advertising and interdisciplinary marketing for huge brands. I'm honored to be a part of it.

Cons

I honestly don't have much to complain about. We work in a very competitive industry, so there are (of course) late nights and difficult client demands, but that's just par for the course. Everyone brings their A game and hustles to make a contribution.

Keep doing what you're doing!

What an amazing place to work

Current Employee - Account Executive in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people, the global network, the firm's reputation, the benefits...the list goes on. As a junior employee, there is a lot of opportunity for growth and you have the chance to experience many different things and move up the ladder quickly.

Cons

You will work a lot, no doubt about that. Salary is a little low but the pros definitely outweigh the cons.