Edelman Reviews

Updated 20 October 2014
4.1

Edelman President and CEO Richard W. Edelman
Richard W. Edelman

Pros
  • Lots of resources available to employees and good work-life balance culture (in 64 reviews)

• Many smart people to work with on a diverse portfolio of projects (in 61 reviews)

Cons
  • Extremely high work pressure means that work life balance is adversely impacted (in 135 reviews)

• Junior staff are expected to work long hours, with minimal financial compensation (in 95 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company, dynamic, creative and talented co-workers, terrific clients, fabulous opportunities

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Edelman has a well-deserved stellar reputation in the PR industry. The client list is stellar, your co-workers are all rock-stars, the atmosphere is nurturing and they respect your work-life balance.

Cons

While the salary is good and bonuses during my tenure have been great, I don't like the fact that annual raises are tiny- under 3% I believe. I don't know if that would change during a year when bonuses might be limited, but think an excellent performance should merit a more substantial annual raise.

Home sweet home

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Amazingly creative people making tremendous impact for clients; fantastic culture

Cons

Compensation, last minute deliverables for clients

Increase compensation

Large Firm with Start-Up Vibe

Current Employee - Leadership in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Leadership in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Solid leadership with the open playground to invent and re-invent new ways to build great programs for clients.

Cons

Agency life can be demanding of time outside of work.

Keep allowing folks to take risks.

Good company

Former Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)
    Former Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I worked at Edelman full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Big clients, good environment, people are helpful. Work life balance is good as well.

Cons

The pay is not competitive, especially for junior staff. The company is growing pretty rapidly but the training resources are not increasing.

Best Place to Work

Current Employee - EAA in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - EAA in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I enjoy working at Edelman. I'm learning something new every day and work with people who are highly creative in their craft. The company is gaining more and more clients and has just entered a joint partnership within the entertainment industry. Totally psyched!

Cons

Worklife balance should be more steady, and ACROSS THE BOARD, not just for a select few. Support staff should not feel hesitant about asking to work from home on a Friday if the EA who sits 3 rows behind her does it all the time. How is that fair and balanced? And how is the morale of the EA who can't?

We ALL deserve a worklife balance - it shouldn't matter what department you're in. Kids - or no kids! Stop the favoritism when it comes to worklife balance!

A firm of professionals dedicated to providing smart, creative and strategic counsel and who love the work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Edelman full-time

Pros

The people are smart, creative and strategic -- they enjoy the work and are committed to delivering great counsel. It's a supportive collegial work environment. There is definitely a sense of shared mission and everyone is ready to pitch in to help deliver impressive work. It's a supportive culture and a fun office with a real sense of community. Leadership is committed to social purpose.

Cons

No meaningful cons -- it's a terrific place to work.

Smart people, company truly cares about their employees

Current Employee - Account Supervisor in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Account Supervisor in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people are smart, creative and strategic, and I learn something new every day. The global resources and intellectual property at Edelman are amazing. While the company is big, Richard Edelman is very involved and present in the office, which makes it feel like a true family business.

Cons

There are employee gaps that need to be filled, making work-life balance tough. The office is also quite large so it's difficult to meet people outside of your practice (Health, Consumer, etc.) While compensation gets better as you move up the ranks, it can definitely be improved and more comparable to other PR agencies, especially at the junior level.

Junior team members need more guidance and resources, which is sometimes not considered because senior colleagues are too busy to provide adequate support. It's assumed that people will "just figure it out," which sets some junior team members up for failure. If junior team members make a mistake, the first thing that should be asked is "how could I have helped them succeed" versus pointing fingers.

Amazing career opportunities if you go grab them

Current Employee - Senior Account Supervisor in San Mateo, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Account Supervisor in San Mateo, CA (US)

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Edelman truly does have some of the best in the business working here and the bench is very deep. The opportunities to learn from experts are vast, whether you want to know about financial communications, paid media, digital, celebrity sponsorships you name it, there is someone here that can teach you (and your clients) about it. If you put yourself out there and actively try to make connections within the agency, especially with senior leadership, you will be rewarded with strong experiences, promotions and direct feedback and mentorship in whatever direction interests you.

Cons

It is fairly easy to fall into mediocrity and be lost in this big agency. If you're keeping clients happy, especially a larger client, then you're often just let be to do your thing. Many managers won't push people if they're doing a good job at their baseline tasks. In order to really grow and experience the best parts of Edelman you have to be proactive and go and grab something above and beyond your current remit, otherwise it's too easy to be lost in this large company. An entrepreneurial, go getter spirit is very rewarded at Edelman, everything else is kind of ignored.

Senior management has a strong vision for the company, but it's not always communicated all the way down how we can have an impact. Tell even AAEs how they can get involved in making a new business goal a reality, make the tasks specific and the barrier low to getting people involved in the 'above and beyond' and you'll likely find a lot more superstars popping up. I think we loose quality talent that could be "superstar" but they are perhaps quiet and aren't clamoring for opportunities, so we never get a chance to see them shine. The squeaky wheels, who may not be the most talented, generally get the opportunities.

It was a good place to launch my career and I've engaged in digital campaign planning and social media management.

Former Employee - Account Coordinator in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)
    Former Employee - Account Coordinator in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I worked at Edelman full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Global networks, Friday massages, Thorough trainings, Collaboration across functions and teams

Cons

No life. I never left office before 8 pm.

Try to hear more opinions from the bottom level.

Great company to start your career at.

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of short-term projects and opportunities available to maximize learning. Colleagues are smart, fun and personable. Fantastic training courses available.

Cons

Not much say in clients you work for. Always expected to be "on the clock" even when out of the office.

Managers should always work with their direct report. it doesn't make sense for a manager to "manage" you if they have no direct knowledge of what you are like as an employee in actual client-facing work settings.