Education Management Corporation

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Edward H. West

Pros:
  • "The Human Resource team is helpful and the employee benefits are great"
    in 7 reviews
  • "They compensate you fairly and have good benefits for employees, 401K match, insurance, wellness programs"
    in 12 reviews
Cons:
  • "The work life balance for this company is not ideal for people with a family"
    in 11 reviews
  • "high pressure sales to prospective college students"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

It was a very cut-throat place of employment.

Admissions Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than a year

ProsThe pay is very competitive and work hours are nice. There was room for advancement and more pay.

ConsThe job was very stressful and you had to worry about your job every few weeks as an Admissions Representative. It is a very cut-throat environment to work in.

Review EDMC under Wikipedia / Legal Issues before stepping foot in any of their schools

Admissions (Former Employee)

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time

ProsGreat school as far as the variety of curriculum, staff, and instructors. Upper Management, including Goldman Sachs have put a price on the head of every student. By the way, It's illegal to put a price on a students head when you receive Title IV (financial aid) from the Department of Education.

ConsEDMC, which is made up of The Art Institutes, Goldman Brown Mackie, South University, and Argosy University, is presently being sued by the Department of Justice for $11 Billion Dollars for misleading admissions practices related to Title IV Funding, mainly Pell Grant funds. (See legal section area EDMC in Wikipedia). Ever since Goldman Sachs, Providence Equity Partners and Leeds Equity Partners acquired EDMC and its 70 schools $3.4 billion in March 2006 - The downfall of EDMC was set into motion. Immediately, Goldman Sachs cleaned house and restructured the admissions department of every EDMC school. The number of Assistant Director of Admissions /Recruiters (ADA’s) grew by the hundreds. At the same time, the “interview” was set into place to pressure the student into applying. This new high-pressure admissions process lead to a revolving door of layoffs and firings in every EDMC admissions office. The average recruiter/ADA would be lucky to last 3 years. As soon as the recruiter/ADA catches on to the unethical behavior going on, they are given a bad review and booted out the door. Ask any EDMC school how much money they spend on admissions verses the needs of the students, you will be shocked! EDMC spends approximately $1000 for each application they take in. These predatory and high pressure recruiting practices are exactly why EDMC has come under fire by the Department of Justice. Would you allow your child to spend over $400 a credit hour to attend a college where they have to call their advisor who is half way across the country to work out their class’s schedule? If you do your homework, you will notice how EDMC is taking advantage of the poor job market by letting go of good, and higher paid employees, to repost virtually the same position for others to apply -for close to half the pay. I have a lot more to share about EDMC….stay tuned to Facebook and the Department of Justice.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake Wall Street out of education! Major conflict of interest.

I have a had a fair experience due to extensive turnover

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThere is great work life balance at EDMC as long as you are meeting your goals. They compensate you fairly and have good benefits for employees, 401K match, insurance, wellness programs

ConsUnfortunate turnover at the local and corporate level, you are pushed hard to meet your goals but with no compensation for doing so.

Great in the beginning

Assistant Director of Admissions (Former Employee)

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood pay, working with students

ConsWork weekends, company under scrutiny

Good company to work for most of the time

Financial Aid Officer (Former Employee)

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than 10 years

ProsInteractions with students and dedicated staff members

ConsLayoffs happen frequently and unexpectedly

Advice to Senior ManagementEveryone should all be on the same page

Edmc is a national treasure in the great state of New York.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Education Management Corporation

Prosgreat benefits excellent incentives motivational and encouraging supportive in the know

Consdisorganized poor leadership insensitive unstructured

Advice to Senior Managementtighten up

Wow...what a change

Human Resources Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI don't work there anymore! That is definitely a pro! There are also some nice people that are stuck here because the job market hasn't allowed them to go elsewhere yet.

ConsThis place used to be great --- and then the investors drove it into the ground through their greed. Questionable practices, unethical managers, greedy leadership. You name it!

Advice to Senior ManagementSplit the company out -- let the Ai brand go back to a ground-only school and create your own online school. The online degrees are diluting the reputation that of the brick and mortar schools.

Not a great place for Adjunct Professors!

Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee)
Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I worked at Education Management Corporation as a contractor for more than a year

ProsI was given a lot of latitude in curriculum design. The pay was pretty good.

ConsThey were poorly managed. They had a lot of management turnover and very poor communication. If you were staff you were included in meetings, but adjuncts were left in the dark on policy, policy changes, processes, performance evaluation and schedule plans.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to keep professional instructors on staff you need a standard review process and a lot of training in intrinsic and extrinsic motivation of senior people.

An "ok" place to work

Assistant Director of Admissions (Current Employee)
Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

ProsHealth benefits are good. Employees are nice. Company is minimizing cost for college student and trying to increase employee satisfaction.

ConsSchedules vary. Not a lot of room to move up in many departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementEDMC needs to be more family oriented.

Run away!!! Most dis-functional IT department ever!

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time

ProsSome nice people to work with.
Decent building/facilities.

ConsConstantly changing directions/priorities prevent employees for being effective at their job.Poor communication between departments and between upper management and employees.
Several members of upper management in IT have their head in the sand about issues within the organization..
Low employee morale and poor employee survey results.
Small cubical/desk space with low walls.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to feedback from the employees.
Do a better job determining priority tasks for employees to work on.

Worked for Education Management Corporation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Education Management Corporation reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Education Management Corporation CEO Edward H. West. All 227 reviews are posted anonymously by Education Management Corporation employees.