Education Management Corporation

Updated 23 October 2014
Updated 23 October 2014
2.4

Edward H. West

Pros
  • Great people to work with and there are opportunities to move up here and there (in 16 reviews)

• They compensate you fairly and have good benefits for employees, 401K match, insurance, wellness programs (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance for this company is not ideal for people with a family (in 17 reviews)

• There is no job security there and you would be stupid to take a job there at this point in time (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Experience except for politics

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Necessity is the basis of work. Livelihood is to survive.

Cons

Nepotism, biased gender, preferred females only.

Management should remain unbiased

admin/ manager/recruiter

Current Employee - Administrative/Manager/Recruiter in Coimbatore
    Current Employee - Administrative/Manager/Recruiter in Coimbatore

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

this is the major work of all students and their parents. i hope this is the best field to develope ourself and the society itself soon,

Cons

If a student can't to succeed that subject or degree or some other in thgat major its make problem in our career also.

Iam not having that much of knowledge to advise the upper peoples.

sixteen years of accounts experience

Current Employee - General Accountant in Chengalpattu
    Current Employee - General Accountant in Chengalpattu

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

my self having best experience in retail , audit & accounts, h& r experience in last 16 years

Cons

rare opportunity to deliver the best efforts

management always think who is the best teller. not result oriented. they want to achivers only. but they fall only orally tellers only

wonderful

I have been working at Education Management Corporation

Pros

great managers just an overall good work

Cons

no room to advance nywhere

Neutral Student Worker

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL (US)

I have been working at Education Management Corporation part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I always suggest this option to fellow students, especially those that have a hard time with scheduling. It's very great for a student looking for fair work/life balance without worrying about reporting to their employer every little thing that changes in their school schedule. I have two work study jobs at the school, and I definitely enjoy working with other students.

Cons

Can only work 20 hours a week. Pay is average, and at only 20 hours a week isn't enough to keep a student afloat when faced with real world responsibilities such as housing and bills from the school. Especially when looking at how much a student has to pay to be a part of this average school system. More perks would be nice, "free copies" isn't very ground breaking.

Filter through who is employed as a teacher more regularly, many more passionate faculty is cut for not working at the company as long as their less-than-enthusiastic peers. Have a more clear outlook on classes and policies, they change way too frequently. Look into offering student workers more perks since pay is average.

It started out great; however, the company is always making changes and not consistent with their mission in decisions

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time

Pros

Good people work here. Compensation is pretty good.

Cons

Always cutting benefits, not consistent with company decisions, vision isn't the same across the board which causes disgruntled employees. No work/life balance - always asked to work on the weekends for events and they are always changing the dates of the events, so no one has any organization of what is really going to happen.

Value your employees and things could turn around. Stop cutting benefits and making everyone work harder. Keep it simple and allow the individual campus locations to have more independence to know what works in their particular market vs. micromanaging from corporate level assuming every school is the same.

Good people but poor management

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Education Management Corporation (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people on the "indian" level vs. "chief" level.

Cons

Management is not really focused, doesn't appropriately focus the troops. Management recently dropped the 401K match, a 6 % pay cut was not good news.

Focus on a reasonable number of objectives, quit chasing the next shiny object. I believe the pay is reasonable for what we do. The facilities are nice.

It was good while it lasted.

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I enjoyed being part of enthusiastic teams who clearly saw the benefits of the education offered at the EDMC family of schools. Benefits were good and salaries were above average.

Cons

Changes made in the past few years to the benefits package actually punished their more loyal, long-term employees. It was like a slap in the face. Then you get laid off with not even a hint of warning. After 15+ years of service, I feel very disrespected. The severance package was decent but it doesn't help you deal with the emotional effects of losing a job at which you spent the majority of your adult life.

The company has become too unstable. You never know when the ax is going to fall. The atmosphere has become very tense. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Yes, we should be primarily about the students. But you also need to treat your employees with more respect and care.

a good soruce to provide for my and my family

Former Employee - Collections in Greentree, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Collections in Greentree, PA (US)

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I made a good living.

Cons

sometime the hrs were long.

you fire people who work hard, God be with you when they fire you,.

Sadly, a sinking ship

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The amazing work the students created - they had such talent and passion. Certain teams had great people, a lot were there 10+ years for good reason. Benefits were great. Continuing education opportunities for employees and their immediate family.

Cons

Slow adoption to new technologies. Closed minded to new process improvements. Morale was bad and the culture didn't foster the creative education we were supporting.

Remember why you are there - for the students - and focus on them.