Education Management Corporation

Updated 19 September 2014
Updated 19 September 2014
2.4

Edward H. West

Pros
  • Great people to work with and there are opportunities to move up here and there (in 13 reviews)

• They compensate you fairly and have good benefits for employees, 401K match, insurance, wellness programs (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance for this company is not ideal for people with a family (in 14 reviews)

• There is no job security there and you would be stupid to take a job there at this point in time (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

I would not recommend this work environment to my Worst Enemy

Current Employee - Admissions Representative  in  Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This company Used to have great benefits then started reducing them with higher cost out of the employee pocket with less coverage overall.

Cons

Team Managers play favorites and do more playing and horsing around than work. Look out!! Company consistently cutting back costs on everything,,, Stay away High Stress

More extensive and clarification of training on changes and time to adjust before penalizing the employee.. Team managers need to be more professional and stop acting like children. They should be an example and be more willing to assist . Be flexible if lifestyle changes for the employee if needs changed to different shifts and hours to work.

Company grew too fast

Former Employee - High School Representative  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - High School Representative in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Loved the family work balance and the team.

Cons

Grew to fast. Unfortunately there will be more layoffs

Give people the option to move at their expense. Take into consideration employee performance not just where they live.

Goodbye 401k match!

Former Employee - General Accountant  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - General Accountant in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good people and highly proficient controllership department. Deficient IT and infrastructure investments have hampered and complicated the ongoing efforts to streamline and centralize processes and procedures. Extremely tough regulatory and economic environment for this type of business, and they've done reasonably well given these adverse conditions.

Cons

Their 401k match was reduced to 4% of as june/july 2014 And then, in August 2014, they completely eliminated the match! This change may accelerate the exodus of employees, and make it more unlikely that they will attract highly talented individuals in the future. I understand the business rationale, and it's a very tough decision - may prove to be a short term change for them to avoid another default. In a year or two, things may change and they may become a profitable company again. It's a no win situation in the short term despite having great people on board. I don't doubt that they will emerge intact from this tough time period, but it will take a few years for them to start realizing growth again.

Best of luck!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Admissions

Pros

Great job, very good company to work for with a great life/work balance.

Cons

Just found out company is doing very poorly

shape up or you may not be in business much longer

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time

Pros

There are no consequences for bad behavior.

Benefits are decent as of today (salary, medical, FSA). Managers have discretion to allow occasional work from home. Colleagues are mostly well-meaning, competent, intelligent. There's considerable encouragement and opportunity to learn about the organization and academic processes, to truly know the business operations.

Cons

There are no consequences for bad behavior.

There's really no employee development, management either doesn't care or doesn't know how to help staff to be successful and grow / move up the ladder. PTO is unimpressive. Poor business performance and enrollment result in layoffs, pay freezes, low morale, paranoia. Crippled finances, and unreasonable oversight and layers of process control result in no progress. There's no forward movement. It's like we're all watching the ship sink while standing on it because 30 people need to approve the expense of patching the hole where the water is rushing in.

Learn how to actually manage. Management here is more like an example of what NOT to do.

Good experience

I have been working at Education Management Corporation

Pros

Competitive salary and nice co-workers

Cons

Depends on which office you are working in. Some offices are more laid back than others

Admissions Advisor AIoP Military Division

Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admission  in  Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admission in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free schooling , good pay and pretty good hours. I liked my managers and we all worked together...Worked with some great people .

Cons

Cost of some of the programs is not covered , entirely, by FA. We weren't encouraged to tell people.

No advice

Seeking Stability

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Employees do care about the students, and helping them with a successful start through to graduation.
    Benefits are at par with many companies.

Cons

The company grew quickly and now it is trying to maintain its growth - there have been periodic layoffs already.

Announcements about new executives being hired seems to be a regular occurrence. The organization seems top-heavy.

Work here, but keep looking

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time

Pros

Salary was decent, considering the job.

Cons

Garbage management.

Do you enjoy being belittled? Do you enjoy feeling unappreciated? this job is for you.

Do your job.

The most ethically and morally bankrupt company bar none!

Former Employee - Associate Director of Admissions  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Associate Director of Admissions in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Hand full of EEs with integrity, but there few and far between.

Cons

The most ethically and morally bankrupt company that I 've ever had the misfortune to work for. Opportunities are 100% based on who you're friends with. Management is blind to legitimate accomplishment in favor of personal agenda.

Purge the immature grade school management style.

Worked for Education Management Corporation? Contribute to the Community!