Education Management Corporation

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Edward H. West

Pros
  • Great people to work with and there are opportunities to move up here and there (in 13 reviews)

• They compensate you fairly and have good benefits for employees, 401K match, insurance, wellness programs (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance for this company is not ideal for people with a family (in 14 reviews)

• There is no job security there and you would be stupid to take a job there at this point in time (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Good experience just the company is doing awful right now

Admissions Representative (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA (US)

ProsDecent pay, use to be better before they got rid of the matrix that gave you commission, fun people to work with, solid benefits like 6% company match and health insurance.

ConsMandatory overtime if you are stuck on the phone with a student, 300 dial days, mass layoffs. There is no job security there and you would be stupid to take a job there at this point in time. The school just sold its Art Institute of Pittsburgh building for extra money and is leasing it out, not to mention its stock price has dropped a ton because of the recent government regulations. Also lots of lying to students to get them to enroll. I remember my manager once talking to a student and told him he understands the students situation because he himself has 2 kids, even though he had none. When I confronted him on it he called it "relating to the student."

Advice to Senior ManagementGet better people to run your company at the higher up level

Going downhill

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Ventura, CA (US)

ProsAll operations under one roof, good materials, competent workshop instructors

ConsOutdated inefficient IT department, lack of Senior Management and HR, inability to change and adapt to new technologies

A Student of AI

Student Tutor (Former Employee) Costa Mesa, CA (US)

ProsEducation was mediocre. Only stayed because of some esteemed teachers and how interested they PERSONALLY were with their students. If it wasn't for them-- there is no reason I would have stayed.

ConsI was a tutor at this place. Work was alright but I think the reflection upon my own financial state is of more importance here.

Education Management Corporation is exactly as others have said: completely unethical.

Advice to Senior ManagementDefinitely add a portfolio requirement and accept only students who have a CHANCE of doing something with the education they receive at the Art Institutes.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

EDMC

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA (US)

ProsPotential to return to the values the company was founded on.

ConsExecutive Management has not taken the time to personally know the greatest assets EDMC is divesting itself of; the many employees who have worked so hard to keep the company afloat.

When Rif's happen, HR and management say it's just business, not personal. Perhaps this is the larger problem EDMC needs to address, it should be as personal to management as it is to that employee that their decision has just affected.

Advice to Senior ManagementStep out of your office, get to know the people who are working to ensure the company's success - your lack of visibility contributes negatively to the gossip and environment. Try hiring Executive Management that actually have an Education background.

A perfect combination of fear and futility.

Admissions Representative (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA (US)

ProsA great service for students by providing a flexible and convenient opportunity to pursue their degree. The online classroom is very user-friendly and can be effectively operated by even a novice computer user.

The benefits provided to employees were very good.

ConsThe focus is said to be on the students. The focus is instead on the number of students. Admissions staff is encouraged to harass new applicants with outreach attempts to obtain students. If a potential student says "No" that is just for that individual moment in time as they will be called for the rest of their lives trying to find that exact moment in time when, for some magical reason, they will say "Yes" and want to enroll.

Advice to Senior ManagementI doubt they can read this. Senior Management was promoted through the ranks from their previous results as staff when the operations first started, not for their ability to lead, create change, vision, and or strategy.

Leads need to be targeted to actual potential students. Degree programs need to be focused to students that can actually use the degree programs instead of magically twisting the coursework to somehow find a small way that it can be used for the students. Case in point: we have students that click on banner ads to become an EMT online. Really? Really! This is not possibly. Also, one does not need a degree to become an EMT, they need to be certified by the state. EDMC will badger this person for the rest of their life trying to cram this student into a degree program that will not get them to be what their stated intentions were.

Neutral

ProsManagement is great and tries their best to keep the team satisfied.

ConsCompany focuses on and places more value into enrollment/admissions as opposed to Academic Counseling/Advising so that we can retain our best employees as well as see our students persist.

Upper management seems disconnected, at times I feel that the people making the decisions at the top really need to consult with employees for best practices.

Great Corporate Support and Friendly Work Environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Diego, CA (US)

ProsEthical and talented group of employees. Time-off policies are employee friendly. Compensation was very competitive. The training was outstanding.

ConsWork-life balance not ideal. Declining enrollment and increased competition from less-expensive online universities created widespread workforce reductions.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrue transparency throughout the organization should be key to employee engagement and talent management!

Worst decision of my life was taking a position here.

The Center (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA (US)

ProsSalary above average for the higher education field.

ConsThey don't understand who their students are or what student success really means. Health benefits are awful. If you aren't management you are restricted as to what you work. They don't understand work/life balance. People do not understand how higher education works. You never get positive feedback. Nobody wants your resume with EDMC on it. It's nothing but a call center operation. They admit students who are not qualified just to receive title IV funding. Students enroll only to get stipends and EDMC doesn't care as long as they get the student loan funds. They break Title IX law on a regular basis. It's a shame the students don't understand their rights. Should be more lawsuits filed against them. They take advantage of underrepresented groups.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet an understanding of who your students are and understand that employees need a work/life balance. The Center should be eliminated as the majority of people managing it have no clue about student needs or higher education law.

Good Company

Enrollment Advisor (Current Employee) Chandler, AZ (US)

ProsGood work hours and great people.

ConsToo much emphasis on getting students in after the deadline...like on the DAY the classes start.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet the students choose their start date.

Business Analyst - Bottom up review.

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA (US)

ProsCompany is a much better place to work than I expected. People are smart and care about the educational mission. There is significant opportunity at EDMC for those driven and willing to accept responsibility. The company desperately needs people who can execute and are committed to seeing things through. If that's you, there your options are vast.

ConsLimited collaboration across business units or functional areas. There are strong personalities in senior/middle management who 'know what's best and to hell with the rest'. The company is moving toward data-driven decision making but needs strong advocates to push this along.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo be successful the company needs to break down silos and encourage collaboration. There are too many line drawn between functional groups (IT and 'The Business') as well as the individual ed systems ('The Brands').

Worked for Education Management Corporation? Contribute to the Community!