Education Management Corporation

Updated 28 January 2015
Updated 28 January 2015
2.4

Edward H. West

Pros
  • Great people to work with and there are opportunities to move up here and there (in 16 reviews)

• Work/life balance is comfortable unless you have a family; you will work Saturdays (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance for this company is not ideal for people with a family (in 19 reviews)

• There is no job security there and you would be stupid to take a job there at this point in time (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

Assistant director of admission

Current Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great pay, plenty of leads

Cons

Horrible hours, horrible old leads, unprofessional management, extreme micromanagement

Great employees, bad management

Former Employee - Career Services in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Career Services in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Education Management Corporation

Pros

The company is not profiting at the moment so there really are no pros.

Cons

Work-life balance is not great/flexible. Services provided by the company are not relevant in today's market.

Need to restructure the service provided from ground up. Evaluate staff and processes from top down.

EDMC - OHE

Former Employee - Director of Admissions in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Director of Admissions in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Education Management Corporation

Pros

Good pay and benefits, HR works with you regarding issues, training will help in future positions, some management is excellent at their job and work to help you succeed.

Cons

Upper management promotes change frequently. Company is beingi nvestigated by Department of Education and has lost credibility. The programs are expensive and few students have success matriculating. Representative talk about changing students lives but are actually increasing their debt and career services only helps to find low paying jobs for graduates.

Follw business ethics and don't have people that are in relationships reporting to each other. this company is about sleeping your way to the top.

Unless you want to sell your soul and be sucked dry of any life run away

I worked at Education Management Corporation

Pros

Used to be pay but now it is structured and not negotiable

Cons

People harping on you daily. No ability to express any opinions. More worried about what Goldman Sachs thinks than anyone else since they own 40% of the company stocks. Employees are numbers- regardless of contributions made over any period of time. Do not listen to any review on here but the completely negative. After many years there I was poached due to my pay when I more than hit my numbers.

Default Prevention

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Freedom to be creative and allows for career development

Cons

low salary and not a lot of opportunity for advancement

EDMC as an employer

I worked at Education Management Corporation

Pros

Company 401K matching plan up to 6% at the time

Cons

Pressure to appease students rather than support faculty

Sales, not education

Current Employee - Admissions Representative
    Current Employee - Admissions Representative

Pros

Not much. You'll learn a lot about sales and how to overcome typical excuses from students. You also learn a lot about the education business.

Cons

Ethics are sketchy at best. It's all about numbers and talking students into certain programs. It's more of a telemarketing and high pressure sales job than anything. To make numbers, management pressures you to put students who are destined to fail then owe a bunch of loan money into college anyway. There's a huge gap between admissions and academics.

You've forgotten that graduation rates and students being successful matters. It's about more than just numbers and the pressure to perform guarantees our bad reputation will stick around.

Constant layoffs - no job security

Former Employee - Director in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Director in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the people are great to work with

Cons

Constant changes - continued layoffs no job security - company in financial crisis.

Communication needed desperately

Overall review of a failing company

Former Employee - Academic Counselor in Chandler, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Academic Counselor in Chandler, AZ (US)

I worked at Education Management Corporation

Pros

I worked at two of the school (Argosy and South online). The pros were good benefits and good co-workers

Cons

All that matters is persistence and percentages of students who stay in school. It's unfortunate that the goal of the company is quantity of students rather than quality of students/a quality educational experience.

Focus on developing strong programs with a strong backing and then the students will come.

Sales masked as bettering student lives

Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

In terms of personal growth, this place challenged me in a lot of ways that shaped the success I'm having today. It wasn't always pretty - there were a few mass layoffs during my tenure, and there was a lot of pressure from upper management to hit your enrollment quotas. While I hated it at times, I look back at my EDMC experiences as positive for how they helped me grow stronger.

Prior to the legal trouble - the pay was insanely high, but ultimately unsustainable. Some Admissions Reps were making well above 6-figures for recruiting students. Once that bubble broke, salaries were still pretty good for starting out of school.

Cons

The public mission about changing student lives is all a front. The sole internal motivator is to get as much money as you can out of prospective students. Trainings and performance metrics are all numbers and revenue based. There was no performance metric related to student happiness/experience - just how many students you enrolled and how much money you made the company.