Education Management Corporation

Updated 1 October 2014
Updated 1 October 2014
2.4

Edward H. West

Pros
  • They compensate you fairly and have good benefits for employees, 401K match, insurance, wellness programs (in 16 reviews)

• Great people to work with and there are opportunities to move up here and there (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance for this company is not ideal for people with a family (in 15 reviews)

• There is no job security there and you would be stupid to take a job there at this point in time (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

The most ethically and morally bankrupt company bar none!

Former Employee - Associate Director of Admissions  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Associate Director of Admissions in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Hand full of EEs with integrity, but there few and far between.

Cons

The most ethically and morally bankrupt company that I 've ever had the misfortune to work for. Opportunities are 100% based on who you're friends with. Management is blind to legitimate accomplishment in favor of personal agenda.

Purge the immature grade school management style.

Want to hate your life? Work for EDMC.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Decent compensation, the work itself wasn't difficult, room for lateral movement (no way you're going up though).

Cons

You'll have to interact with terrible people both in the work place and on the phone. You will be given goals (and micromanaged daily on those goals) that you won't be able to complete due to the incompetent student body you are forced to interact with, and you will probably begin to have a crisis of conscience as you understand that EDMC is solely meant to siphon Federal Title IV funding from the federal government by using students who should NOT be in college in the first place as the proxy. Literally a joke - and I can't believe it's still allowed to operate.

It's a despicable place, and I'm glad I'm gone. As it stands, the Department of Education is working to shut it down, and if you check its stock performance the last 18 months...well, you can see they're succeeding. I left on my own terms, and it's the best professional decision I've ever made.

However if you want to be in a work environment where everyone is basically a snake-oil salesman seeking only profit in the education world AND you have absolutely no job security (and you won't hit your goals 75% of the time) - AND you want to rip off disadvantaged people by putting them tens upon tens of thousands into debt for a degree that may be worth less than toilet paper - EDMC is the place for you!

The middle management needs to go due to how bloated their salaries are in exchange for the lack of production they provide. Also, get those resumes ready - the day of reckoning is coming. Get out while you still can. Me? I'm getting my popcorn ready.

Telemarketing

Former Employee - Admissions Representative  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time

Pros

Bonded with many of my co-workers.

Cons

Felt like I was selling insurance half the time.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I would not recommend this work environment to my Worst Enemy

Current Employee - Admissions Representative  in  Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This company Used to have great benefits then started reducing them with higher cost out of the employee pocket with less coverage overall.

Cons

Team Managers play favorites and do more playing and horsing around than work. Look out!! Company consistently cutting back costs on everything,,, Stay away High Stress

More extensive and clarification of training on changes and time to adjust before penalizing the employee.. Team managers need to be more professional and stop acting like children. They should be an example and be more willing to assist . Be flexible if lifestyle changes for the employee if needs changed to different shifts and hours to work.

Admissions Advisor AIoP Military Division

Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admission  in  Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admission in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free schooling , good pay and pretty good hours. I liked my managers and we all worked together...Worked with some great people .

Cons

Cost of some of the programs is not covered , entirely, by FA. We weren't encouraged to tell people.

No advice

Seeking Stability

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Employees do care about the students, and helping them with a successful start through to graduation.
    Benefits are at par with many companies.

Cons

The company grew quickly and now it is trying to maintain its growth - there have been periodic layoffs already.

Announcements about new executives being hired seems to be a regular occurrence. The organization seems top-heavy.

Review of BMC, which is under EDMC

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time for less than a year

Pros

I enjoyed all the perks that this company offers, such as tuition assistants, EDMC Perks website, and PTO. For the most part I enjoyed working here, I was given opportunity to make myself worthy and challenged day in and day out.

Cons

Employees were overworked for what they got paid. I was in a smaller school setting with about 250 students and my job was cut, Records Assistant, and so my boss had to take over all the duties which she is already doing Registrar and HR duties. It was unfortunate that my job was cut but if management actually looked at what was being done it was a stupid move.

Stop over working your employee, this is one reason why there is a high turnover rate.

Stepping Stone

Current Employee - Accountant/Analyst  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Accountant/Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

work-life balance good, flex schedule

Cons

low ceiling for potential growth.

good student job positions

Current Employee - Librarian (Student Worker)  in  North Hollywood, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Librarian (Student Worker) in North Hollywood, CA (US)

I have been working at Education Management Corporation part-time

Pros

If you are a student at Ai, its helps alot by having an on campus job at your school. Its extra finances that could help you and since you are there for long hours anyways. Helps you recognize faculty and staff, directors, and even students

Cons

its an average salary job just to help you get by. Not that many positions and you have to prove that you financially is within a range that needs the source of income.

Former veteran employee

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time

Pros

Great co-workers who support each other.

Cons

Poor compensation for very hard work. No incentive to be your best. No opportunities for upward mobility. Frozen management. Recent mass layoffs got rid of some good people, but kept the flotsam, the people who have adhered to the Peter Principle and survive purely on longevity, not excellence. Absolutely no respect or reward for successful veterans. EDMC has had many lawsuits and is a human resource nightmare. The company is struggling to survive as it twists in the wind, a result of the exposure of For Profit colleges and their lack of ethics. They will accept anyone ( 2.00 qualifies ) take their very high tuition payment and then abandon them very quickly with no support.

Take a hard look at how the enormous growth, from 18 colleges to over 50 in less than 11 years has damaged the future. Get rid of incompetent middle management and provide opportunities for your good, hard working, loyal workers to move up the ladder. Compensation sucks.

Worked for Education Management Corporation? Contribute to the Community!