Education Management Corporation

Updated 29 August 2014
Updated 29 August 2014

2.4

Edward H. West

Pros
  • Great people to work with and there are opportunities to move up here and there (in 13 reviews)

• They compensate you fairly and have good benefits for employees, 401K match, insurance, wellness programs (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance for this company is not ideal for people with a family (in 14 reviews)

• There is no job security there and you would be stupid to take a job there at this point in time (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

A difficult place to work and be happy

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time

Pros

Challenging environment lends itself to employees that are constantly learning and evolving; 401K match; ok time off benefits.

Cons

Incredibly unhappy workforce; no raises; thankless work environment;

Good experience just the company is doing awful right now

Former Employee - Admissions Representative  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent pay, use to be better before they got rid of the matrix that gave you commission, fun people to work with, solid benefits like 6% company match and health insurance.

Cons

Mandatory overtime if you are stuck on the phone with a student, 300 dial days, mass layoffs. There is no job security there and you would be stupid to take a job there at this point in time. The school just sold its Art Institute of Pittsburgh building for extra money and is leasing it out, not to mention its stock price has dropped a ton because of the recent government regulations. Also lots of lying to students to get them to enroll. I remember my manager once talking to a student and told him he understands the students situation because he himself has 2 kids, even though he had none. When I confronted him on it he called it "relating to the student."

Get better people to run your company at the higher up level

Going downhill

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Ventura, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ventura, CA (US)

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

All operations under one roof, good materials, competent workshop instructors

Cons

Outdated inefficient IT department, lack of Senior Management and HR, inability to change and adapt to new technologies

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A Student of AI

Former Employee - Student Tutor  in  Costa Mesa, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Student Tutor in Costa Mesa, CA (US)

I worked at Education Management Corporation part-time for more than a year

Pros

Education was mediocre. Only stayed because of some esteemed teachers and how interested they PERSONALLY were with their students. If it wasn't for them-- there is no reason I would have stayed.

Cons

I was a tutor at this place. Work was alright but I think the reflection upon my own financial state is of more importance here.

Education Management Corporation is exactly as others have said: completely unethical.

Definitely add a portfolio requirement and accept only students who have a CHANCE of doing something with the education they receive at the Art Institutes.

EDMC

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Potential to return to the values the company was founded on.

Cons

Executive Management has not taken the time to personally know the greatest assets EDMC is divesting itself of; the many employees who have worked so hard to keep the company afloat.

When Rif's happen, HR and management say it's just business, not personal. Perhaps this is the larger problem EDMC needs to address, it should be as personal to management as it is to that employee that their decision has just affected.

Step out of your office, get to know the people who are working to ensure the company's success - your lack of visibility contributes negatively to the gossip and environment. Try hiring Executive Management that actually have an Education background.

Good corporation to work for.

I worked at Education Management Corporation

Pros

Great benefits - insurance, paid time off, holidays

Cons

Government scrutinizes for-profit schools so our work can get bogged down in red tape

Time to stop paying the lobbyists to change the government's mind. Put the money back into the students and reform

Great place to learn and advance your skill set

Current Employee - Systems Administrator  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

With such a wide range of products / projects being worked on at any given moment, there is so much to learn. You'll be a better person just 6 months into working here if you are motivated and willing to learn.

I will and have recommended friends and family to work here, as I see first hand just what experience can be gained from this business.

Cons

With the current political administration's attacks on for profit education, it's hard to say where we are going currently and where we will stand in the next coming years.

Be more engaged with employees in keeping them in the loop at where the company projects are going and how it'll benefit the company. All to often projects happen with no understanding of what and why it's happening.

Neutral

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Management is great and tries their best to keep the team satisfied.

Cons

Company focuses on and places more value into enrollment/admissions as opposed to Academic Counseling/Advising so that we can retain our best employees as well as see our students persist.

Upper management seems disconnected, at times I feel that the people making the decisions at the top really need to consult with employees for best practices.

Great Corporate Support and Friendly Work Environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time for less than a year

Pros

Ethical and talented group of employees. Time-off policies are employee friendly. Compensation was very competitive. The training was outstanding.

Cons

Work-life balance not ideal. Declining enrollment and increased competition from less-expensive online universities created widespread workforce reductions.

True transparency throughout the organization should be key to employee engagement and talent management!

Worst decision of my life was taking a position here.

Former Employee - The Center  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - The Center in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Salary above average for the higher education field.

Cons

They don't understand who their students are or what student success really means. Health benefits are awful. If you aren't management you are restricted as to what you work. They don't understand work/life balance. People do not understand how higher education works. You never get positive feedback. Nobody wants your resume with EDMC on it. It's nothing but a call center operation. They admit students who are not qualified just to receive title IV funding. Students enroll only to get stipends and EDMC doesn't care as long as they get the student loan funds. They break Title IX law on a regular basis. It's a shame the students don't understand their rights. Should be more lawsuits filed against them. They take advantage of underrepresented groups.

Get an understanding of who your students are and understand that employees need a work/life balance. The Center should be eliminated as the majority of people managing it have no clue about student needs or higher education law.

Worked for Education Management Corporation? Contribute to the Community!