Education Management Corporation

Updated 4 December 2014
Updated 4 December 2014
2.5

Edward H. West

Pros
  • Great people to work with and there are opportunities to move up here and there (in 16 reviews)

• Work/life balance is comfortable unless you have a family; you will work Saturdays (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance for this company is not ideal for people with a family (in 19 reviews)

• There is no job security there and you would be stupid to take a job there at this point in time (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

It started out great; however, the company is always making changes and not consistent with their mission in decisions

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time

Pros

Good people work here. Compensation is pretty good.

Cons

Always cutting benefits, not consistent with company decisions, vision isn't the same across the board which causes disgruntled employees. No work/life balance - always asked to work on the weekends for events and they are always changing the dates of the events, so no one has any organization of what is really going to happen.

Value your employees and things could turn around. Stop cutting benefits and making everyone work harder. Keep it simple and allow the individual campus locations to have more independence to know what works in their particular market vs. micromanaging from corporate level assuming every school is the same.

Good people but poor management

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Education Management Corporation (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people on the "indian" level vs. "chief" level.

Cons

Management is not really focused, doesn't appropriately focus the troops. Management recently dropped the 401K match, a 6 % pay cut was not good news.

Focus on a reasonable number of objectives, quit chasing the next shiny object. I believe the pay is reasonable for what we do. The facilities are nice.

No ethics, no client care, poor business model.

Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Office complex in downtown Pittsburgh is modern and well maintained.

Cons

Too many to list. Despite what they tell new hires, EDMC cares about nothing but profit. They treat their employees like cattle and their students even worse. Employees in admissions are routinely told to pressure prospective students into applying for school even if they are clearly unqualified. Then, they are given a high-pressure sales pitch to accept extensive financial aid for a sub-par education that usually exceeds $50,000. This company is devious, ruthless and a borderline scam. Avoid them at all costs! The schools they represent are often legitimate, but EDMC is nothing short of a snake-oil salesman hawking online pipe dreams that rarely if ever satisfy students aspirations or even governmental standards.

None. There is really nothing to say to people who engage in such unethical business practices while treating their employees like expendable, and not particularly valued assets.

Use you and lose you.

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time

Pros

If you're an executive you don't have anything to worry about. Pay is great and you have pretty decent job security (if you're at that level). Other than that, there aren't really pro's. The people are nice for the most part.

Cons

No job security. Not compensated fairly for work, I did not receive a raise for 2 years, know of others who have not received a raise or promotion in 3 years or more. Company does not care about the students, no matter what they say. It's a business, business is about money, not about students. 401K was cut, so that is not even a benefit anymore.

Pack it in. Unless you change something quick, the ship is sinking. Priorities need to shift toward the employees more. While the business aspect is crucial, it's tough to run a business without employees.

Horrible, toxic environment

Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The only pros to working here are the people you work with. At least the bottom level employees are cool. It used to be a fun place to be and you could make money from the matrix. Managers literally have no management skills.

Cons

Everything. Literally RUN away from this place unless you are desperate for a job. Everyone either gets fired or laid off. This ship is sinking and I'm currently trying to find another job so I can get out of here before it happens.

You are a bunch of jokes.

Work study student

Current Employee - Work Study Student in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Work Study Student in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Education Management Corporation part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Worked with your college hours, great co workers

Cons

only legally can work 20 hours a week, management always unresponsive,

Make the supervisors interact with students more. Certain employees at Art Institute of Houston could care less about the students and are very selfish.

Admissions Representative

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The only good thing about working for this company was the people, if you're lucky you will be placed on a team with fun, positive people, and a manger who actually cares about you. Salary is decent but when you factor in parking and benefits it's nothing spectacular.

Cons

Where to start? This place fills their employees with plenty of false hope. This is a glorified telemarketing job. All the schools represented by EDMC have a terrible reputation. With the exception of a very small handful, the majority of people in a leadership role here are a JOKE. Zero professionalism, no concern for people who have families, it's all about recruiting students for the financial gain of the company. Everyone is out for themselves. You will make 400 dials in a day or go crazy from pure boredom. If you don't meet your monthly goals you have to worry about job security. Plan on working overtime and giving up Saturdays if you find yourself in the hole when it comes to meeting goals, and not having a life.

Get a clue.

Horrible

Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Met a lot of awesome people
    Insurance (it's the worst in the area however)

Cons

Company values
    Leadership
    Training
    Pay - although decent, not worth the stress
    No work-life balance
    No job security
    Lots of layoffs
    Unrealistic goals
    High pressured sales job
    Everything else

This really doesn't matter because they wouldn't listen...

I worked in the Pittsburgh office for 2 years. I promise you, I have never worked for a company that caused me so much anxiety. When you are hired you are made to believe that you are going to be working in admissions and calling, interviewing, and recruiting potential interested students. NOT THE CASE. You call hundreds of people that did not even request information! Many of them are illiterate and can't even put a sentence together and somehow you have to sell that individual a 67k degree. It's merely a high pressured sales position and I predict they'll close their doors by early next year. I morally could not go on....I felt so bad about all the students that I deceived into going to college knowing they weren't "college material." Now they have dropped out and have large amounts of debt. If you are considering working here, don't. Move on....

There's no advice to management....just get out because the damage has been done. All the evil that has been sown has come back up to bite you. Education and business don't mix because something will go lacking...If you would have always focused on student success you might be in a different situation and people working there might actually enjoy their job. I have never felt such regret. Working there was a huge mistake and I pray that God can forgive the evil that I sown out of desperation of keeping my job. I finally up and quit because of conscious was not clean.

Avoid this place.

It was good while it lasted.

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I enjoyed being part of enthusiastic teams who clearly saw the benefits of the education offered at the EDMC family of schools. Benefits were good and salaries were above average.

Cons

Changes made in the past few years to the benefits package actually punished their more loyal, long-term employees. It was like a slap in the face. Then you get laid off with not even a hint of warning. After 15+ years of service, I feel very disrespected. The severance package was decent but it doesn't help you deal with the emotional effects of losing a job at which you spent the majority of your adult life.

The company has become too unstable. You never know when the ax is going to fall. The atmosphere has become very tense. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Yes, we should be primarily about the students. But you also need to treat your employees with more respect and care.

Sadly, a sinking ship

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The amazing work the students created - they had such talent and passion. Certain teams had great people, a lot were there 10+ years for good reason. Benefits were great. Continuing education opportunities for employees and their immediate family.

Cons

Slow adoption to new technologies. Closed minded to new process improvements. Morale was bad and the culture didn't foster the creative education we were supporting.

Remember why you are there - for the students - and focus on them.