Education Management Corporation

Updated 24 November 2014
Updated 24 November 2014
2.4

Edward H. West

Pros
  • Great people to work with and there are opportunities to move up here and there (in 16 reviews)

• Work/life balance is comfortable unless you have a family; you will work Saturdays (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance for this company is not ideal for people with a family (in 19 reviews)

• There is no job security there and you would be stupid to take a job there at this point in time (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

Declining in morale, day by day,

Current Employee - Program Coordinator in San Jose, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Program Coordinator in San Jose, CA (US)

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Giving students who might not otherwise be able to afford a traditional college the opportunity to earn a post-secondary degree is one of the best aspects of this job, despite the harsh light of Congress on for-profit schools within the last few years. Locally, the faculty that teach at the schools are giving 100% to student success.

Cons

Public perception and corporate management make the portfolio of schools under this company’s umbrella, uninviting places to work. Local faculty know better what works for their students but are consulted after the fact when policies are made, with little chance for change. E.g., Policies that might be appropriate for low-cost states in the heartland, may be impractical in coastal states with denser populations, but nonetheless, senior management aims to push the policies through nationally.

Be upfront and non-obtuse with your correspondence to employees and they’ll appreciate you for it.

It was good while it lasted.

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I enjoyed being part of enthusiastic teams who clearly saw the benefits of the education offered at the EDMC family of schools. Benefits were good and salaries were above average.

Cons

Changes made in the past few years to the benefits package actually punished their more loyal, long-term employees. It was like a slap in the face. Then you get laid off with not even a hint of warning. After 15+ years of service, I feel very disrespected. The severance package was decent but it doesn't help you deal with the emotional effects of losing a job at which you spent the majority of your adult life.

The company has become too unstable. You never know when the ax is going to fall. The atmosphere has become very tense. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Yes, we should be primarily about the students. But you also need to treat your employees with more respect and care.

a good soruce to provide for my and my family

Former Employee - Collections in Greentree, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Collections in Greentree, PA (US)

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I made a good living.

Cons

sometime the hrs were long.

you fire people who work hard, God be with you when they fire you,.

Sadly, a sinking ship

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The amazing work the students created - they had such talent and passion. Certain teams had great people, a lot were there 10+ years for good reason. Benefits were great. Continuing education opportunities for employees and their immediate family.

Cons

Slow adoption to new technologies. Closed minded to new process improvements. Morale was bad and the culture didn't foster the creative education we were supporting.

Remember why you are there - for the students - and focus on them.

Work study student

Current Employee - Work Study Student in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Work Study Student in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Education Management Corporation part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Worked with your college hours, great co workers

Cons

only legally can work 20 hours a week, management always unresponsive,

Make the supervisors interact with students more. Certain employees at Art Institute of Houston could care less about the students and are very selfish.

My experience was a positive growing and learning experience.

Current Employee - National Admissions Advisor in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - National Admissions Advisor in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It is a position you can be proud of. You will be changing lives for a living, and there is no job beyond that in which is satisfying.

Cons

Meeting Expectations, sometimes can be a little nerve-racking.

LOVE working for this company!! Best job I've ever had! Great training, great management, great pay and benefits!!!!!

Current Employee - High School Representative
    Current Employee - High School Representative

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Management, Training, Hours, Work-LIfe Balances, PTO, Pay, Benefits

Cons

I have nothing bad to say.

Keep up the good work!!

Great overall experience! Allowed the opportunity to help others in pursuing their educational goals!

Pros

Not micro managed, fulfilling and rewarding work. Amazing work environment, many minor perks of the job. Job title assigned carries a lot of "weight" in the professional world

Cons

"What have you done for me lately" attitude from the management. "Pushed" to accomplish start goals...sometimes beyond what is best for the student

Remember exactly what the staff has to go through with each individual student

Admissions Representative

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The only good thing about working for this company was the people, if you're lucky you will be placed on a team with fun, positive people, and a manger who actually cares about you. Salary is decent but when you factor in parking and benefits it's nothing spectacular.

Cons

Where to start? This place fills their employees with plenty of false hope. This is a glorified telemarketing job. All the schools represented by EDMC have a terrible reputation. With the exception of a very small handful, the majority of people in a leadership role here are a JOKE. Zero professionalism, no concern for people who have families, it's all about recruiting students for the financial gain of the company. Everyone is out for themselves. You will make 400 dials in a day or go crazy from pure boredom. If you don't meet your monthly goals you have to worry about job security. Plan on working overtime and giving up Saturdays if you find yourself in the hole when it comes to meeting goals, and not having a life.

Get a clue.

Horrible

Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Met a lot of awesome people
    Insurance (it's the worst in the area however)

Cons

Company values
    Leadership
    Training
    Pay - although decent, not worth the stress
    No work-life balance
    No job security
    Lots of layoffs
    Unrealistic goals
    High pressured sales job
    Everything else

This really doesn't matter because they wouldn't listen...

I worked in the Pittsburgh office for 2 years. I promise you, I have never worked for a company that caused me so much anxiety. When you are hired you are made to believe that you are going to be working in admissions and calling, interviewing, and recruiting potential interested students. NOT THE CASE. You call hundreds of people that did not even request information! Many of them are illiterate and can't even put a sentence together and somehow you have to sell that individual a 67k degree. It's merely a high pressured sales position and I predict they'll close their doors by early next year. I morally could not go on....I felt so bad about all the students that I deceived into going to college knowing they weren't "college material." Now they have dropped out and have large amounts of debt. If you are considering working here, don't. Move on....

There's no advice to management....just get out because the damage has been done. All the evil that has been sown has come back up to bite you. Education and business don't mix because something will go lacking...If you would have always focused on student success you might be in a different situation and people working there might actually enjoy their job. I have never felt such regret. Working there was a huge mistake and I pray that God can forgive the evil that I sown out of desperation of keeping my job. I finally up and quit because of conscious was not clean.

Avoid this place.