Education Management Corporation

www.edmc.edu
Employer Engaged

This used to be a very good college for subjects not generally offered at traditional colleges; however since the Gainful Employment legislations, its excellence has diminished and its reputation quite low.

Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The students and most of my fellow colleagues!

Cons

Poor Management, duplicitous tactics in management, dubious Financial planning for students; curriculum not cutting edge or on par with Industry Standards.

Walk in the shoes of those below you, clean out from the TOP, not the bottom, eliminate the masculine dominance in upper Management. Redesign the identity of the College and end the age discrimination in Admissions.

No ethics, no client care, poor business model.

Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Office complex in downtown Pittsburgh is modern and well maintained.

Cons

Too many to list. Despite what they tell new hires, EDMC cares about nothing but profit. They treat their employees like cattle and their students even worse. Employees in admissions are routinely told to pressure prospective students into applying for school even if they are clearly unqualified. Then, they are given a high-pressure sales pitch to accept extensive financial aid for a sub-par education that usually exceeds $50,000. This company is devious, ruthless and a borderline scam. Avoid them at all costs! The schools they represent are often legitimate, but EDMC is nothing short of a snake-oil salesman hawking online pipe dreams that rarely if ever satisfy students aspirations or even governmental standards.

None. There is really nothing to say to people who engage in such unethical business practices while treating their employees like expendable, and not particularly valued assets.

Use you and lose you.

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time

Pros

If you're an executive you don't have anything to worry about. Pay is great and you have pretty decent job security (if you're at that level). Other than that, there aren't really pro's. The people are nice for the most part.

Cons

No job security. Not compensated fairly for work, I did not receive a raise for 2 years, know of others who have not received a raise or promotion in 3 years or more. Company does not care about the students, no matter what they say. It's a business, business is about money, not about students. 401K was cut, so that is not even a benefit anymore.

Pack it in. Unless you change something quick, the ship is sinking. Priorities need to shift toward the employees more. While the business aspect is crucial, it's tough to run a business without employees.

Horrible, toxic environment

Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The only pros to working here are the people you work with. At least the bottom level employees are cool. It used to be a fun place to be and you could make money from the matrix. Managers literally have no management skills.

Cons

Everything. Literally RUN away from this place unless you are desperate for a job. Everyone either gets fired or laid off. This ship is sinking and I'm currently trying to find another job so I can get out of here before it happens.

You are a bunch of jokes.

Declining in morale, day by day,

Current Employee - Program Coordinator in San Jose, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Program Coordinator in San Jose, CA (US)

Pros

Giving students who might not otherwise be able to afford a traditional college the opportunity to earn a post-secondary degree is one of the best aspects of this job, despite the harsh light of Congress on for-profit schools within the last few years. Locally, the faculty that teach at the schools are giving 100% to student success.

Cons

Public perception and corporate management make the portfolio of schools under this company’s umbrella, uninviting places to work. Local faculty know better what works for their students but are consulted after the fact when policies are made, with little chance for change. E.g., Policies that might be appropriate for low-cost states in the heartland, may be impractical in coastal states with denser populations, but nonetheless, senior management aims to push the policies through nationally.

Be upfront and non-obtuse with your correspondence to employees and they’ll appreciate you for it.

It was good while it lasted.

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I enjoyed being part of enthusiastic teams who clearly saw the benefits of the education offered at the EDMC family of schools. Benefits were good and salaries were above average.

Cons

Changes made in the past few years to the benefits package actually punished their more loyal, long-term employees. It was like a slap in the face. Then you get laid off with not even a hint of warning. After 15+ years of service, I feel very disrespected. The severance package was decent but it doesn't help you deal with the emotional effects of losing a job at which you spent the majority of your adult life.

The company has become too unstable. You never know when the ax is going to fall. The atmosphere has become very tense. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Yes, we should be primarily about the students. But you also need to treat your employees with more respect and care.

a good soruce to provide for my and my family

Former Employee - Collections in Greentree, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Collections in Greentree, PA (US)

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I made a good living.

Cons

sometime the hrs were long.

you fire people who work hard, God be with you when they fire you,.

Sadly, a sinking ship

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The amazing work the students created - they had such talent and passion. Certain teams had great people, a lot were there 10+ years for good reason. Benefits were great. Continuing education opportunities for employees and their immediate family.

Cons

Slow adoption to new technologies. Closed minded to new process improvements. Morale was bad and the culture didn't foster the creative education we were supporting.

Remember why you are there - for the students - and focus on them.

Good people but poor management

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Education Management Corporation (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people on the "indian" level vs. "chief" level.

Cons

Management is not really focused, doesn't appropriately focus the troops. Management recently dropped the 401K match, a 6 % pay cut was not good news.

Focus on a reasonable number of objectives, quit chasing the next shiny object. I believe the pay is reasonable for what we do. The facilities are nice.

Work study student

Current Employee - Work Study Student in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Work Study Student in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Education Management Corporation part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Worked with your college hours, great co workers

Cons

only legally can work 20 hours a week, management always unresponsive,

Make the supervisors interact with students more. Certain employees at Art Institute of Houston could care less about the students and are very selfish.