Education Management Corporation

Updated 1 October 2014
Updated 1 October 2014
2.4

Edward H. West

Pros
  • They compensate you fairly and have good benefits for employees, 401K match, insurance, wellness programs (in 16 reviews)

• Great people to work with and there are opportunities to move up here and there (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance for this company is not ideal for people with a family (in 15 reviews)

• There is no job security there and you would be stupid to take a job there at this point in time (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to learn and advance your skill set

Current Employee - Systems Administrator  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

With such a wide range of products / projects being worked on at any given moment, there is so much to learn. You'll be a better person just 6 months into working here if you are motivated and willing to learn.

I will and have recommended friends and family to work here, as I see first hand just what experience can be gained from this business.

Cons

With the current political administration's attacks on for profit education, it's hard to say where we are going currently and where we will stand in the next coming years.

Be more engaged with employees in keeping them in the loop at where the company projects are going and how it'll benefit the company. All to often projects happen with no understanding of what and why it's happening.

Neutral

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Management is great and tries their best to keep the team satisfied.

Cons

Company focuses on and places more value into enrollment/admissions as opposed to Academic Counseling/Advising so that we can retain our best employees as well as see our students persist.

Upper management seems disconnected, at times I feel that the people making the decisions at the top really need to consult with employees for best practices.

Great Corporate Support and Friendly Work Environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time for less than a year

Pros

Ethical and talented group of employees. Time-off policies are employee friendly. Compensation was very competitive. The training was outstanding.

Cons

Work-life balance not ideal. Declining enrollment and increased competition from less-expensive online universities created widespread workforce reductions.

True transparency throughout the organization should be key to employee engagement and talent management!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Business Analyst - Bottom up review.

Current Employee - Business Analyst  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

Pros

Company is a much better place to work than I expected. People are smart and care about the educational mission. There is significant opportunity at EDMC for those driven and willing to accept responsibility. The company desperately needs people who can execute and are committed to seeing things through. If that's you, there your options are vast.

Cons

Limited collaboration across business units or functional areas. There are strong personalities in senior/middle management who 'know what's best and to hell with the rest'. The company is moving toward data-driven decision making but needs strong advocates to push this along.

To be successful the company needs to break down silos and encourage collaboration. There are too many line drawn between functional groups (IT and 'The Business') as well as the individual ed systems ('The Brands').

Worst decision of my life was taking a position here.

Former Employee - The Center  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - The Center in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Salary above average for the higher education field.

Cons

They don't understand who their students are or what student success really means. Health benefits are awful. If you aren't management you are restricted as to what you work. They don't understand work/life balance. People do not understand how higher education works. You never get positive feedback. Nobody wants your resume with EDMC on it. It's nothing but a call center operation. They admit students who are not qualified just to receive title IV funding. Students enroll only to get stipends and EDMC doesn't care as long as they get the student loan funds. They break Title IX law on a regular basis. It's a shame the students don't understand their rights. Should be more lawsuits filed against them. They take advantage of underrepresented groups.

Get an understanding of who your students are and understand that employees need a work/life balance. The Center should be eliminated as the majority of people managing it have no clue about student needs or higher education law.

Good Company

Current Employee - Enrollment Advisor  in  Chandler, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Enrollment Advisor in Chandler, AZ (US)

Pros

Good work hours and great people.

Cons

Too much emphasis on getting students in after the deadline...like on the DAY the classes start.

Let the students choose their start date.

Great

I have been working at Education Management Corporation

Pros

Work hours.
    People.
    Environment.

Cons

Zero. I thought everything about this company was pretty great.

Keep up the good work.

It put food on the table

Current Employee - Admissions Representative  in  Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Friendly Coworkers
    -Great pay for the kind of job
    -Decent training

Cons

-No room for creativity
    -Boring robotic work after you're molded into the kind of machine EDMC-OHE wants you to be
    -slimey sales tactics - for example their (EDMC'S) biggest practice hammered into employees, is to overcome objections. Thats fine, but when a student who is telling me they cant enroll right now because their mom is in the hospital I was reprimanded for not saying to the potential student, "great! Sounds like you'll have alot of time to do classwork while at the hospital." Sorry, I wont take on the cold calculated aspect of what a poor corporation can be. I'm a human too. Needless to say I up and left, without having a backup job.

Have a heart. Don't be numbers driven, if your biggest concern is having a quality conversation with potential students, rate the employee on that. Don't treat students as a cash cow.

This job consisted of selling $60,000 psychology degrees to people who could not afford them and would never use them.

Former Employee - Admissions Representative  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time for less than a year

Pros

The chance to meet lots of different people. The money can be good if your great at phone sales.

Cons

Tedious job of calling people all day long who do not want to talk to you.

A perfect combination of fear and futility.

Former Employee - Admissions Representative  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

A great service for students by providing a flexible and convenient opportunity to pursue their degree. The online classroom is very user-friendly and can be effectively operated by even a novice computer user.

The benefits provided to employees were very good.

Cons

The focus is said to be on the students. The focus is instead on the number of students. Admissions staff is encouraged to harass new applicants with outreach attempts to obtain students. If a potential student says "No" that is just for that individual moment in time as they will be called for the rest of their lives trying to find that exact moment in time when, for some magical reason, they will say "Yes" and want to enroll.

I doubt they can read this. Senior Management was promoted through the ranks from their previous results as staff when the operations first started, not for their ability to lead, create change, vision, and or strategy.

Leads need to be targeted to actual potential students. Degree programs need to be focused to students that can actually use the degree programs instead of magically twisting the coursework to somehow find a small way that it can be used for the students. Case in point: we have students that click on banner ads to become an EMT online. Really? Really! This is not possibly. Also, one does not need a degree to become an EMT, they need to be certified by the state. EDMC will badger this person for the rest of their life trying to cram this student into a degree program that will not get them to be what their stated intentions were.

Worked for Education Management Corporation? Contribute to the Community!