Education Management Corporation

Updated 24 November 2014
Updated 24 November 2014
2.4

Edward H. West

Pros
  • Great people to work with and there are opportunities to move up here and there (in 16 reviews)

• Work/life balance is comfortable unless you have a family; you will work Saturdays (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance for this company is not ideal for people with a family (in 19 reviews)

• There is no job security there and you would be stupid to take a job there at this point in time (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time

Pros

There are no consequences for bad behavior.

Benefits are decent as of today (salary, medical, FSA). Managers have discretion to allow occasional work from home. Colleagues are mostly well-meaning, competent, intelligent. There's considerable encouragement and opportunity to learn about the organization and academic processes, to truly know the business operations.

Cons

There are no consequences for bad behavior.

There's really no employee development, management either doesn't care or doesn't know how to help staff to be successful and grow / move up the ladder. PTO is unimpressive. Poor business performance and enrollment result in layoffs, pay freezes, low morale, paranoia. Crippled finances, and unreasonable oversight and layers of process control result in no progress. There's no forward movement. It's like we're all watching the ship sink while standing on it because 30 people need to approve the expense of patching the hole where the water is rushing in.

Learn how to actually manage. Management here is more like an example of what NOT to do.

Good experience

I have been working at Education Management Corporation

Pros

Competitive salary and nice co-workers

Cons

Depends on which office you are working in. Some offices are more laid back than others

Stay away or you'll regret it!

Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This company started out with great benefits and, good pay. The location is a easy commute from all points of our highway systems and interstates. Great working hours overtime available depending on corporate availability. Can't go early to get Overtime have to stay late or work Sat. .

Cons

Poor management they are in financial trouble job security is weak don't put yourself in a position to find yourself without a job.

Admissions Advisor AIoP Military Division

Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admission in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admission in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free schooling , good pay and pretty good hours. I liked my managers and we all worked together...Worked with some great people .

Cons

Cost of some of the programs is not covered , entirely, by FA. We weren't encouraged to tell people.

No advice

Work here, but keep looking

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time

Pros

Salary was decent, considering the job.

Cons

Garbage management.

Do you enjoy being belittled? Do you enjoy feeling unappreciated? this job is for you.

Do your job.

The most ethically and morally bankrupt company bar none!

Former Employee - Associate Director of Admissions in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Associate Director of Admissions in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Hand full of EEs with integrity, but there few and far between.

Cons

The most ethically and morally bankrupt company that I 've ever had the misfortune to work for. Opportunities are 100% based on who you're friends with. Management is blind to legitimate accomplishment in favor of personal agenda.

Purge the immature grade school management style.

Seeking Stability

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Employees do care about the students, and helping them with a successful start through to graduation.
    Benefits are at par with many companies.

Cons

The company grew quickly and now it is trying to maintain its growth - there have been periodic layoffs already.

Announcements about new executives being hired seems to be a regular occurrence. The organization seems top-heavy.

Want to hate your life? Work for EDMC.

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent compensation, the work itself wasn't difficult, room for lateral movement (no way you're going up though).

Cons

You'll have to interact with terrible people both in the work place and on the phone. You will be given goals (and micromanaged daily on those goals) that you won't be able to complete due to the incompetent student body you are forced to interact with, and you will probably begin to have a crisis of conscience as you understand that EDMC is solely meant to siphon Federal Title IV funding from the federal government by using students who should NOT be in college in the first place as the proxy. Literally a joke - and I can't believe it's still allowed to operate.

It's a despicable place, and I'm glad I'm gone. As it stands, the Department of Education is working to shut it down, and if you check its stock performance the last 18 months...well, you can see they're succeeding. I left on my own terms, and it's the best professional decision I've ever made.

However if you want to be in a work environment where everyone is basically a snake-oil salesman seeking only profit in the education world AND you have absolutely no job security (and you won't hit your goals 75% of the time) - AND you want to rip off disadvantaged people by putting them tens upon tens of thousands into debt for a degree that may be worth less than toilet paper - EDMC is the place for you!

The middle management needs to go due to how bloated their salaries are in exchange for the lack of production they provide. Also, get those resumes ready - the day of reckoning is coming. Get out while you still can. Me? I'm getting my popcorn ready.

I would not recommend this work environment to my Worst Enemy

Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This company Used to have great benefits then started reducing them with higher cost out of the employee pocket with less coverage overall.

Cons

Team Managers play favorites and do more playing and horsing around than work. Look out!! Company consistently cutting back costs on everything,,, Stay away High Stress

More extensive and clarification of training on changes and time to adjust before penalizing the employee.. Team managers need to be more professional and stop acting like children. They should be an example and be more willing to assist . Be flexible if lifestyle changes for the employee if needs changed to different shifts and hours to work.

Former veteran employee

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time

Pros

Great co-workers who support each other.

Cons

Poor compensation for very hard work. No incentive to be your best. No opportunities for upward mobility. Frozen management. Recent mass layoffs got rid of some good people, but kept the flotsam, the people who have adhered to the Peter Principle and survive purely on longevity, not excellence. Absolutely no respect or reward for successful veterans. EDMC has had many lawsuits and is a human resource nightmare. The company is struggling to survive as it twists in the wind, a result of the exposure of For Profit colleges and their lack of ethics. They will accept anyone ( 2.00 qualifies ) take their very high tuition payment and then abandon them very quickly with no support.

Take a hard look at how the enormous growth, from 18 colleges to over 50 in less than 11 years has damaged the future. Get rid of incompetent middle management and provide opportunities for your good, hard working, loyal workers to move up the ladder. Compensation sucks.