Education Management Corporation

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Edward H. West

Pros
  • Great people to work with and there are opportunities to move up here and there (in 13 reviews)

• They compensate you fairly and have good benefits for employees, 401K match, insurance, wellness programs (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance for this company is not ideal for people with a family (in 14 reviews)

• There is no job security there and you would be stupid to take a job there at this point in time (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Walking on pins and needles

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA (US)

ProsGreat group of people. Direct manager for my department was personally great but had to be robots to upper management their advice was never addressed or heard.

ConsNot ever sure if it was your day for the next wave of layoffs. Upper management took bonuses and left others with no raises.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo one wants to work for a company that has no defined future.

Financial aid officer

Financial Aid Officer (Former Employee) Santa Ana, CA (US)

ProsCoworkers and my students were great. Supportive direct supervisors and interdepartmental teamwork given current work conditions.

ConsToo many to count. This job was like financial aid and admissions boot camp to get students to sign up for overpriced degrees. Enrollment and campus morale is at an all time low. Admissions seems to always be in a panic state about signing up non-committal students. Increasing evenings and weekend work with events, and i routinely worked 10 day stretches of days with only 1 day off flex or 1/2 day flex toward the end of my employment. Thankfully I got out of there and found a great job, away from edmc and a horrible school president. This job had me in a near-constant state of anxiety and I was given Xanax by my dr until I could get out of there. No joke, you are pushed that hard.

Advice to Senior ManagementEdmc higher management is ridiculously out of touch with their recent centralization efforts. That is what broke me permanently about this company. They really do not care about what we needed at the campus, just the bottom line. Stop the CEO bonuses and gov't lobbying - just a waste of money - and fix what is broken...the campuses.

Upper management needs to be letgo and true leaders need to be brought in to replace.

Admissions Representative/Academics (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA (US)

ProsSalary rewarded on matrix free bachelors degree

ConsManagement, hours, job security. Unethical practices. Guilty of what they are accused of.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop favortism. Do your jobs and

Work with people to help train and develop them. Stop hiring friends as managers it's not working.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Admissions representative

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsHelping students is the only positive thing about this position.

ConsManagement pushing you to admit students into a $93,000 program and they do not have basic reading, computer or math skills.

Advice to Senior ManagementCoaching should be a must, instead of laying employees of when they don't meet all requirements.

Former employee

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA (US)

ProsSalary was OK, benefits were good. The schools themselves were nice and the teachers seemed interested in the success of the students.

ConsAfter being recruited in to help with a specific problem I was laid off just one year later and given a small severance. It really messed up my career - I should never have taken this job.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe office culture was highly compartmentalized. I generated several good ideas to help the company, but these ideas were dismissed because they involved other departments.

Admission Representative

Admissions Representative (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA (US)

ProsGreat people and salary. Work environment decent.

ConsSystems are out dated and business model needs to be retooled.

Advice to Senior ManagementTraining is not consistent with the job on the floor. The sales environment is not professional. The culture resembles an outdates business style from the 1950's while the competition is leading and servicing the client. The slump the company is facing will not be rectified with current system and out dated solutions.

Intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA (US)

ProsGreat people on my team, very friendly work environment. Learned a lot in my time with the company and greatly value my experiences.

ConsNot a business I am interested in for the long haul. Don't necessarily agree with the business model that is in place.

Pick a different option

ProsLocation, benefits, not much else

ConsPay, hours, ethical standards, management

Fast paced and somewhat disorganized but overall good strategy.

Financial Analyst (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA (US)

ProsFast pace was appealing. Growing rapidly at the time especially in the online division. Never a dull moment. Several enjoyable co-workers and lasting memories.

ConsSome items of HR got lost in the fast paced culture. Much of the company values were lost by the time they made it to lower level employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on employee retention. Duration of employment particularly in some areas of the company appears to be impeding financial progress and student attrition as well.

For Profit Schools May be Going Away

Business Development Representative (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsFlexible schedule, and good reimbursement for money spent.

ConsThe whole Business Development Dept was laid off at the Art Institutes.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Worked for Education Management Corporation? Contribute to the Community!