Emeritus Senior Living

Updated 27 January 2015
Updated 27 January 2015
2.8

T. Andrew Smith

Pros
  • enjoy the teams i work with and the ability to support others in making a positive work environment (in 10 reviews)

• I look forward to coming to work everyday (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management within the facility and Corporate does not follow their own policies and ethics (in 8 reviews)

• Everyone sleeps with each other in empty rooms the residents are not a priority here (in 75 reviews)

More Highlights

Emeritus has been a positive work experience all the way around..great company, employees, brand statement.

I have been working at Emeritus Senior Living

Pros

Wonderful culture here at Emeritus! Emeritus takes care of their residents, employees, and vendors.

Cons

Brookdale Senior Living bought Emeritus Senior Living. Have already seen changes..and not for the better.

Excellent

I have been working at Emeritus Senior Living

Pros

Very inclusive and cheerful atmosphere. Mean spirited people not tolerated for long.

Cons

Merger potential and lack of ongoing employment

NA

Loved it at Emeritus! (Not Brookdale)

Current Employee - Senior Staff Accountant in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Staff Accountant in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Emeritus Senior Living full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The culture, the people, the location of the corporate office. Emeritus has now merged with Brookdale so you can no longer work for this great company.

Cons

Salaries are low for the Seattle market. Now that the company is part of Brookdale, I would not suggest this employer to a friend.

Advice to Emeritus would have been to Increase salaries. Advice to Brookdale would be to communicate better within the corporate office (between departments) and to the employees in the communities.

Good for Me, for the first few years. Recently, merged with Brookdale and many Emeritus employees lost their jobs

I have been working at Emeritus Senior Living full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

It's a corporate environment, so you are more likely to receive timely work reviews and increases. Professional employees. Some enjoyable perks to be had. there was plenty of advancement opportunites, varied work-so could be interesting

Cons

Can be micro managed at all levels. locked compensation company wide(during Emeritus), meaning if you deserve more than a 3% increase it was difficult to get.

Make your focus about your customers--the elderly--and less about your sales quotas.

It was a sad day when Emeritus and Brookdale merged

I have been working at Emeritus Senior Living

Pros

Emeritus' culture and people. It was truly a family like atmosphere and it was a privilege to be a part of it.

Cons

Brookdale's culture and employees. I have never seen co-workers/peers treat each other like this. Finger pointing is the norm when somthing goes wrong.

Where's the management

Current Employee - Resident Assistant in Brandon, MS (US)
    Current Employee - Resident Assistant in Brandon, MS (US)

I have been working at Emeritus Senior Living part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The pros of this job is that you get to help the elderly. It makes such a difference in the lives of some of them who have no one. It's truly a gift to share your compassion with these people, if that is genuinely your calling.

Cons

This facility's management does not appear to have the best interest of it's residents or employees in mind. I fail to see the compassion, care or concern!

My advice would be to take time to do what's best for the residents and employees. I rarely see any of management actually engage with the residents or take time to ask just what it is that they could do to make their stay their more pleasant.

Where to start..

Former Employee - Wait Staff in Edgewood, KY (US)
    Former Employee - Wait Staff in Edgewood, KY (US)

I worked at Emeritus Senior Living full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Residents were wonderful to work with, made my job that much better

Cons

RA's cared more about money than the residents care. Management shifts blame rather than taking responsibility and fixing the issues. Kitchen was disgusting and the food served was worse than any public school imaginable. The fact that the residents pay out of pocket for an overcooked hot dog on a stale bun is beyond me. Not enough staff to care properly for residents and some RA list more care options for certain resident that they don't like so families have to pay more. Turn over rate is very high

Listen to workers, be more hands on with residents and staff

Catty from day 1, including management

Former Employee - Wellness Nurse in Mentor, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Wellness Nurse in Mentor, OH (US)

I worked at Emeritus Senior Living

Pros

Decent pay for a new grad, even seasoned nurses get the same pay

Cons

The main challenge was the unprofessionalism.. Management had their favorites and they would run and make things up to deliberately get you the boot if you weren't on their side. The worst part experience ever. There were a few good nurses but the rest were like gossiping high school girls.Also a month after being hired, my position was eliminated.

You come to work to care for the residents, not to make friends.

I enjoy working at Emeritus Sr Living in the Seattle Corporate Office. The environment and culture are amazing.

Current Employee - Human Resources in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Emeritus Senior Living full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The management style is very team oriented. There really is no micro-managing and the continual trainings keep us up to date on the latest laws and government actions.

Cons

The commute is a bit of a drag; however the view from the balcony of the building makes it worth it. The Seattle skyline is definitely a job perk.

Pay better! People are doing a lot of hard work to make the company a success. When an employee has devoted years to the company...pay them for their loyalty.

Emeritus Senior Living Photos