Emerson Reviews

Updated 25 August 2014

3.4

Emerson Chairman and CEO David N. Farr
David N. Farr

Pros
  • In general work / life balance is good for most people (in 15 reviews)

• Stable company, well organized, decent work-life balance, good training (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • work - life balance is not so great (in 4 reviews)

• just like any other big company (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Really Good Company

I have been working at Emerson

Pros

Values their employees and has a very good business pan for continued sustainability

Cons

Not too many turn-over, reducing opportunities available for advancement

Lead man

Former Employee - Lead Man  in  Chino, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Lead Man in Chino, CA (US)

I worked at Emerson full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are none they don't teach you anything I learned on my own or from watching others maybe one pro is a paycheck but the company doesn't pay well.

Cons

training management is awful they don't pay well supervisors need to be investigated for others to see how poorly they do there jobs

train your employees better and don't let management write people up for others mistakes also pay setup people operators and lead man better

it is a stable workplace

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I have been working at Emerson part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

medical facility on campus, pension plan, regular work hours, nice campus, gym on campus, stable company

Cons

communication, employees over 50 are not valued, a lot of bureaucracy, no bonuses for those not in upper management, salary increases below standard

be fair to workers of all ages and share the wealth with all those who are working to make you rich

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company to make a career with

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Emerson full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good pay, benefits, potential to move within the organization to other companies in the portfolio, training opportunities. If you make smart choices you could spend your entire career in this company. Emerson has a portfolio of companies and the span the globe. Within my division alone was Intermetro Industries, Ridge Tool, Closet Maid, Insinkerator and there are Emerson climate tech, and others.

Cons

I was laid off when the company moved work to PA and I didnt want to move. They were generous with my severance package, but I was a manager. I don't think the workers fared as well.

Overall, it has been a good experience working at Emerson.

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Emerson full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

A problem solving organization. Overall the company is financially well managed, invests heavily in new technology development, drives innovation, and is a thought leader striving to be #1 or #2 in markets served. Most people are customer focused and work well together to develop solutions that deliver significant results. Compensation and benefits are okay. In general work / life balance is good for most people.

Cons

Too many silos. Organizational design, goals, measures, rewards, and incentives are not always optimal to encourage collaboration or best results across departments, regions, or business units. Heavily matrixed organization can make it challenging to gain approvals, buy-in, or consensus to change. Also, there are fairly limited opportunities to take foreign assignments, however, most global leadership or subject matter expert positions typically require extensive international travel 50%+.

Great Place to Learn, Great Place to Retire (if you can stay employed)

Former Employee - Director, Engineering  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Director, Engineering in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Emerson full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Emerson has great processes and strong, stable leadership. It has great training infrastructure for its leaders, including very effective mandatory training for first-line managers and 360 reviews for directors and above. The company focus on profitability assures that the company at least is viable going concern and will be around for the indefinite future. The company has a fantastic retirement plan if you don't get laid off before you can build it up. For those who join now, there is a profit sharing contribution to your retirement. The older folks get a pension.

Cons

It's incredibly difficult to cull out poor performers - especially at the individual contributor level, but when profitability of a business unit is an issue, a layoff can ensue that takes out a whole swath of people - both good and bad.

The culture tends to breed a lot of cliques and factions - both inside the various business units and especially between them. There are mandates to the business units to collaborate more effectively but for the most part these mandates are only given lip service. Each BU and Line of Business has its own P&L - to which incentive pay is based - and *everyone* is short staffed. Hence there is significant disincentive to collaborate if there is no way for both BU's to heavily monetize the opportunity.

The company has a strategy to move into MRO & Energy services enabled by enterprise software. This strategy permeates the business with teams in every platform (Climate, Process, IA, etc) trying to execute it.

Unfortunately, the company is not a true software development company - it is a component manufacturer with firmware development for the electronics it sells. Software development - especially enterprise software development - is an enigma to senior leadership.

Therefore, while the software-enabled service strategy conceptually seems like a great idea, it has been extremely problematic to monetize. Many of the issues lie with the execution, but quite frankly the initial strategy was flawed as well. I'm not sure if there have been adjustments since 2013.

Finally - the place is a case study in unfunded mandates. I heard "we need to do more with less" so many times that it ceased to have any meaning. There are process groups that expect compliance with certain process changes but the funding for the QA and project management heads to implement the changes is never there..

Be more willing to admit that a strategy isn't working and come up with a new approach. People in the office of the chief executive need to be willing to allow the business units more flexibility in their go-to-market approach for services and software. Be willing to take a hit in profitability and do what it takes to truly fund innovation. Don't make it so hard to fire people.

Great Place to Work

Former Employee - Intern  in  Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Intern in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I worked at Emerson part-time for more than a year

Pros

Gym membership, doctor on site with no fees

Cons

Understanding matricies of the hierarchy of people

Provide up front training

Overall, Emerson is a good place to work

I have been working at Emerson

Pros

The work life balance at Emerson is excellent. Great respect for making sure that balance is in place. Numerous individuals with decades within the company.

Cons

The locations that Emerson tends to locate it's businesses tend to be a bit rural.

Great company to do your internship with

Former Employee - Project Technician  in  Cluj-Napoca (Romania)
    Former Employee - Project Technician in Cluj-Napoca (Romania)

I worked at Emerson as an intern for less than a year

Pros

- Salary is decent;
    - Pleasant working environment, the people there are friendly and helpful. Even if you don't know exactly what you have to do right away, they give you an accommodation period during which you get the chance to learn about your job duties.
    - Flexible working hours;
    - I didn't attend any training courses during my internship but new employees take a training course in DeltaV if they apply for a position in the PSS department, for example;
    - They offer courses for learning a new language (not for interns);
    - There is a cafeteria on campus where the food is relatively cheap;

Cons

- Location. It's situated outside the city limits and traveling to and from work can take about ~2 hours a day if you live near the city center;
    - They didn't seem to have many free "cubicles" so I had to switch desks a lot;
    - A lot of bureaucracy.

Boring and unnerving

I have been working at Emerson full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Stable company, well organized, decent work-life balance, good training. Also good products

Cons

Career opportunities non-existent. If you work in a satellite location, management in St. Louis or Austin will forget about you. Benefits are so-so. Pay rises rare. No bonuses. Work load is unpredictable, so you might end up doing nothing for months and then suddenly work 12 hours per day. Management style is very old fashioned and structure is very hierarchical. There is no way to influence the way things are done. Technology tools are obsolete and time-wasting.

Management should realize that we live in the 21st century, not in the Fordist era. Obsession with profit should give way to a broader view about the Company's future and long-term goals. Also, communication with employees should be real, not just presenting numbers and achievements carefully selected to mask the reality of business environment.

Worked for Emerson? Contribute to the Community!