Advance Auto Parts

www.advanceautoparts.com

Need new direction

Pros

Decent pay and I only see my direct supervisor a few times a year so I am able to run the store how I see fit.

Cons

Lately corporate has been micro-managing the stores. We also use the slogan "Service is our best part." but we never have enough payroll to make that happen. We are more focused on numbers at every level. Our motto used to be "sell more parts, have more fun." Back then it was a funner place to work and the company did better financially. Now we drill down every figure possible. I appreciate having the reports capable of seeing how my team is doing, but putting so much emphasis on it is hurting moral. Also, the computer infrastructure is about 20 years behind.

Get back to having fun and raising moral and you will see better results in sales. Please quit staffing stores to the minimum hours. If you continue to do this you will have the minimum sales.

Other reviews for Advance Auto Parts

Good some days, intolerable others

Former Employee - Retail Sales, MVR, Key Holder  in  Orlando, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Retail Sales, MVR, Key Holder in Orlando, FL (US)

Pros

Most of the people I worked with were friendly and somewhat knowledgeable when considering auto parts. A lot of the regular customers were very friendly and understanding as well.

Cons

If you worked with a team member that had no idea what they were doing, they were making your life more miserable because you'd have to pick up their slack.

Roughly 60% of the job is testing/installing batteries or checking OBD II codes. Company policy states we are not allowed to tell them what the OBD codes mean, but customers are never satisfied with just the code because they're expecting a free rundown of exactly what's wrong with their car. It boils down to a retail job offering free services that are heavily taken advantage of.

A large majority of the store managers are very easy to work with. Power tripping seems to be prevalent with the aren't

Crummy Retail Environment, little room to excel in the company, terrible corporate policies.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Raleigh, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Raleigh, NC (US)

Pros

The company is a very corporate buzzword, stereotypical retail environment. Normally a bad thing, but generally if you have a decent district manager, and show interest in moving up within the company, you will do fine. One thing I would suggest is that if you're interested in working at any type of auto parts store, try to work at or transfer to a store located in a nicer area. I had worked in one of the richest areas in my state for a while, and the job was very rewarding. I transferred to a store in a much poorer area and it was quite different.

Cons

As a sales associate you're expected to constantly be working on a dozen things at once. Unless the GM is competent, you'll find yourself either in the back of the store smoking cigarettes with management, or up front alone do their job. It's very high stress, and your mileage will vary drastically depending on how involved the other employees are with just doing their job.

None.

There are newer employer reviews for Advance Auto Parts.

Worked for Advance Auto Parts? Contribute to the Community!