Amazon.com

www.amazon.com

Wonderful company culture, pretty good pay and benefits, chance of poor work/life balance

Software Development Engineer I (Current Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

ProsEveryone at Amazon is smart and fun to work with and do not subscribe to the FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt) that plagues software so big ideas can be followed through on. Compensation is generous with a salary, signing bonus, and restricted stock units. Hard work seems to rewarded with promotions and stock options, I have not been at the company long enough to have had my own experience with this.

ConsDifferent teams at Amazon have wildly different experiences, which range from poor to awesome. Some teams have operational issues that basically turn their SDE's into highly paid support engineers that grinds software development to a halt and destroys work life balance due to every SDE having occasional 24-hour "on-call" duties. This is not the case on my current team, but definitely a risk for anyone taking a job at Amazon.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire support engineers. SDE's maintaining their own software to promote quality sounds like a good idea, except employee turnover and role changing is high enough that most of the bad software teams are supporting was created by someone else.

Fast changing, high pressure

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Amazon.com as an intern for less than a year

Pros: Amazon has an independent work culture. The teams work cohesively but only… Cons: Amazon has a system where your team has a huge impact on your experience. If you're a bit out of… Advice to Senior Management: World's most customer centric company needs to take good care… – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Good Solid Company to work for but employee work performance seems to be only based on your production rates.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Amazon.com full-time

Pros: Amazon.com is a very solid company growing larger every day with… Cons: In my opinion, the biggest con of working at Amazon.com was Amazons production rates system - you have to meet a minimum rate of work… Advice to Senior Management: Please don't forget about your hard working associates who may not have the highest rates but are… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Amazon.com.

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!