There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

Wonderful company culture, pretty good pay and benefits, chance of poor work/life balance

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer I in Seattle, WA (US)
Current Employee - Software Development Engineer I in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone at Amazon is smart and fun to work with and do not subscribe to the FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt) that plagues software so big ideas can be followed through on. Compensation is generous with a salary, signing bonus, and restricted stock units. Hard work seems to rewarded with promotions and stock options, I have not been at the company long enough to have had my own experience with this.

Cons

Different teams at Amazon have wildly different experiences, which range from poor to awesome. Some teams have operational issues that basically turn their SDE's into highly paid support engineers that grinds software development to a halt and destroys work life balance due to every SDE having occasional 24-hour "on-call" duties. This is not the case on my current team, but definitely a risk for anyone taking a job at Amazon.

Hire support engineers. SDE's maintaining their own software to promote quality sounds like a good idea, except employee turnover and role changing is high enough that most of the bad software teams are supporting was created by someone else.

3666 Other Employee Reviews for Amazon.com (View Most Recent)

Business Analyst

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England (UK)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

great product to work for
    great and passionate people to work with

Cons

All directions and decisions are being made in Seattle, or if you are lucky, in Luxembourg - so you might have a say in it (i frankly never had)
    Actual results do not matter, just show off, change some numbers and you will be a star
    If you are bad, you will be treated badly. If you are good, you'll get more work, and probably will be treated less badly
    The training are made by in house employees who want to train. You want to learn SQL? good - let me train you. If you want external training - you'll have a bad time
    Frugality is one of the cornerstones of Amazon. But if you get a cheap laptop, no training, less budget to hire people ... it's just frustrating and makes you inefficient

Frugality is blocking a lot of work and creates frustration. Ease up
    Listen to your employees - and if you listen, do care
    Do not reward arrogance

Software development engineer for amazon

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros

Great people, scalable systems and pet friendly

Cons

I like the culture so there are no pros.

nothing