There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

Great place to work if you can embrace the culture and work with others.

Former Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA (US)
Former Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the smartest and passionate people you will meet. When Amazon talks about putting the customer first, it is not just talk. The entire focus of every team is figuring out how to serve their immediate customers better which in turn can be very exciting. The influence that a single person can have is great as high performers are able to take control of their career and do what they wish with it.

Cons

Some of the Microsoft-esque HR policies are infuriating. Pay is highly dependent on job family, which is silly when they encourage individuals to have an impact, regardless of job title/family.

The pay is not always going to be market level, especially if the stock is not doing well.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the job family guidelines for top performers.

reviews filtered by
  1. Awesome!!!! place to work

Current Employee - ICQA PA in Middletown, DE (US)
    Current Employee - ICQA PA in Middletown, DE (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

great workplace specially with my co-workers

Cons

nothing got yet...good for me lol

Wonderful company culture, pretty good pay and benefits, chance of poor work/life balance

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer I in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer I in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Everyone at Amazon is smart and fun to work with and do not subscribe to the FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt) that plagues software so big ideas can be followed through on. Compensation is generous with a salary, signing bonus, and restricted stock units. Hard work seems to rewarded with promotions and stock options, I have not been at the company long enough to have had my own experience with this.

Cons

Different teams at Amazon have wildly different experiences, which range from poor to awesome. Some teams have operational issues that basically turn their SDE's into highly paid support engineers that grinds software development to a halt and destroys work life balance due to every SDE having occasional 24-hour "on-call" duties. This is not the case on my current team, but definitely a risk for anyone taking a job at Amazon.

Advice to Management

Hire support engineers. SDE's maintaining their own software to promote quality sounds like a good idea, except employee turnover and role changing is high enough that most of the bad software teams are supporting was created by someone else.

There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com