Amazon.com

www.amazon.com

Hectic, not research oriented and not employer friendly

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer  in  Seattle, WA (US)
Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA (US)

Pros

AWS is very good and they give very good services

Cons

Hectic, not research oriented and not employer friendly

Other reviews for Amazon.com

Amazon is a great company to start at.

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA (US)

Pros

-Competitive offers (not the best, but still well above average)
    -Many of the teams have a similar feel to a start up
    -It is in Seattle (I have mixed feelings about this)
    -The people here are smart and motivated
    -Has a kind of "hands off" management style, at least where I work. The mentality is that as long as I get my work done appropriately, all is good.
    -You can go from team to team, department to department, and continuously learn new things. You can jump from low end server management to high end app development for example.
    -The company is going places both from a financial sense (have you looked at their stock recently and its trend?) and a technology sense
    -The teams are generally kept small and for my team at least, leads to better communication

Cons

-With some teams, work life balance is horrible. This is not all teams however, mostly the ones that manage the website directly and are responsible for keeping various services up and running. I have seen it both ways.
    -It is in Seattle (I have mixed feelings about this)
    -It can be difficult at times to get recognized for your hard work even if you go above and beyond the call of duty (please note I have not personally experiences this. Rather, it is a conclusion I have reached based off of my interactions with others and what I have seen)
    -Team culture and work life balance varies from "I want to get out of here" to "I absolutely love it here and can't imagine myself anywhere else" I understand that this happens in many different companies, but I wish Amazon would work more to normalize this spectrum.

Make sure employees know that their work is appreciated.

Stealing their way to the top - one overpriced book at a time

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate  in  Lexington-Fayette, KY (US)
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Lexington-Fayette, KY (US)

Pros

fast paced, fun, 4 day week, new and improved onsite coaching, weekly pay, paid training

Cons

bell model based land grabbers with lacking personality skills, even if you work hard and know you are working hard, HR will make it their responsibility to find you a position where you can
    struggle so they can follow company model of keeping the majority of their employees off the books. great for a young person. still in conflict over their original lease agreement since day one.
    unable or unwilling to pay corporate debts to original investors.

smile, you have a job

There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com.

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!