There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

amazon

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros

great payif their stock is doing well smart people dedicated people

Cons

long hours, chaotic work style, no work/life balance

3679 Other Employee Reviews for Amazon.com (View Most Recent)

If you want to have a life outside of work, look the other way.

Current Employee - Fulfillment Specialist in Gouldsboro, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Fulfillment Specialist in Gouldsboro, PA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The only pro is that the facility has a set schedule 99% of the time. Cheap benefits that people can afford.

Cons

No job security.. If they do not like you, they will not promote you. They promote people who are not with the company for a long period of time. The pay is horrible for the type of work you do. One hand doesn't know what the other is doing.

The fulfilllment center is disgusting. Nothing is clean. Food products are in bins next to soap products and or pet food. How is that sanitary

There is no motivation whatsoever for employees to do their job. Promotions are not based on how long you've been there, it's based on an attendance point system.

My advice to management is to look in the mirror. Are you satisifed with the pay check that you are getting/ This company is getting worse by the minute... You guys are collecting a pay check and not earning one. Try getting dirty for once, work with your employees. They are the ones who are making the company operate and meeting the company's goals. Try being a people person. Don't talk down to the employees as if they were a 5 year old. Treat people with respect and you might get some in return.

Amazon is a great company to start at.

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Competitive offers (not the best, but still well above average)
    -Many of the teams have a similar feel to a start up
    -It is in Seattle (I have mixed feelings about this)
    -The people here are smart and motivated
    -Has a kind of "hands off" management style, at least where I work. The mentality is that as long as I get my work done appropriately, all is good.
    -You can go from team to team, department to department, and continuously learn new things. You can jump from low end server management to high end app development for example.
    -The company is going places both from a financial sense (have you looked at their stock recently and its trend?) and a technology sense
    -The teams are generally kept small and for my team at least, leads to better communication

Cons

-With some teams, work life balance is horrible. This is not all teams however, mostly the ones that manage the website directly and are responsible for keeping various services up and running. I have seen it both ways.
    -It is in Seattle (I have mixed feelings about this)
    -It can be difficult at times to get recognized for your hard work even if you go above and beyond the call of duty (please note I have not personally experiences this. Rather, it is a conclusion I have reached based off of my interactions with others and what I have seen)
    -Team culture and work life balance varies from "I want to get out of here" to "I absolutely love it here and can't imagine myself anywhere else" I understand that this happens in many different companies, but I wish Amazon would work more to normalize this spectrum.

Make sure employees know that their work is appreciated.

There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com