There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

Lot of technology to learn

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer  in  Seattle, WA (US)
Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good peer level, technology and work.

Cons

Not great work-life balance. Need better training to new employees.

3564 Other Employee Reviews for Amazon.com (View Most Recent)

Must Love Panic Attacks

I worked at Amazon.com full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Amazon is innovative and moves quickly--you'll have the opportunity to learn a lot in a short amount of time--if you don't burn out first.

Cons

After speaking with numerous other ex-Amazonians, I can honestly say I'm not alone when I tell people this company has given me post traumatic stress disorder. When people at Amazon say the teams "run lean," that means they hire one person to do the job of multiple people. Be prepared to be overwhelmed by the amount of work that needs to be done and the long hours you'll work (there's a reason they issue you a laptop here--so you can come home from the office and continue working).

Some folks love to work at a constant fever pitch because it motivates them, but it inevitably takes its toll--the company has a ridiculously high turnover rate because of burnout. You might think all of the current employment opportunities at the company are because they're expanding. Not really--they're mostly constantly trying to refill positions where folks have freaked out and left. If you don't have a social life or home life, and want to constantly be on-call, then this may be the place for you. if, however, you want to work for a place that cares a little more about their employees and less about their bottom line, look elsewhere. Yes, the company seems to pay well, and it can be exciting to work there, but you might need to be on anti-depressants or anti-anxiety meds to do it...

For Pete's sake, hire more people! I know it's like hitting the jackpot when you find a single person who has the skills to do 5 different jobs, but that doesn't mean you should make them do it! Respect that an employee wants to give you their best, and that it's difficult to do when they're completely overwhelmed and no one cares enough to fix the problem.

Horrible place

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

big name on resume, you will learn to see the things end to end

Cons

Salary is less compared to other leaders in industry, absolutely no work life balance, no training, no personal development, no good leaders in upper management. The management can take time to complete its deliverables but SDEs do not get extension on deadlines. Too much politics in the organization. Amazon.com Shipping/Transportation dept is the worst department ever for SDEs. The SDMs look like kids from kindergarten with absolutely no people management skills.

I am sure amazon.com Stock is a big bubble which will burst very soon. Company has 30-40% growth in revenue but the profit is negative

There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!