Amazon.com

www.amazon.com
  www.amazon.com
There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

Okay projects, bad work environment, terrible benefits

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Seattle, WA (US)
Former Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Projects are interesting. You can get technical challenge with fellow software engineers. There're lots of smart people, here.

Cons

Work environment is not great. In the beginning, A shared desk was assigned to me without cube. A small war-room kind of office with 7 software engineers and there's no privacy while others kept complaining about smell of my coffee. I've never been in this kind of atmosphere. It might only be my team but quite discouraged to be creative.
The benefit was even worse. In normal company, HMO is the cheapest plan but Amazon offers the most expensive HMO option and there's wierd plan of health fund. Health fund is okay for who doesn't go to see doctor more than 7 times per year but totally out of sense when you had family. Premium was already high but out of pocket cost for hospital is another story. 401k matching is very low and the company tries to get employee's patent idea for free while my previous company always paid for it. Parking reimbursement wasn't enough to drive your car to downtown. There's no ESPP. And so on..
There's no formal training except new hire orientation which took only half day. No education support. It seems like this company only want to use your knowledge and has no interest to develop it.
On call duty is also painful. You need to carry the pager and it might beep in the midnight and must respond it within 15 min or it'll be escalated to your manager, director, vp, ...

You need to care your employees as human being.

3944 Other Employee Reviews for Amazon.com (View Most Recent)

Great place to work

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time

Pros

You will work with smart people.

Cons

Can be hard to move up

Great technology challenges

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer III/Senior Engineer in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

* Engineers are valued. A lot of focus on giving Engineers the work that is challenging.
    * Good technological challenges. A lot of interesting problems in the AWS space which are challenging and need creativity.
    * High impact work. A lot of customers use AWS, and hence the impact is visible in terms of usage, growth, customer feedback.

Cons

* Design is owned by Principal Engineers. Sometimes it is hard to get the opportunity to design a system as it is owned by Principal Engineers.
    * Oncall duty can be bad on some teams. But it is ok for some teams.

* Focus on operational pain reduction as much as new features..

There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com