There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

Not for people who want to slide by in life.

Current Employee - Sourcer in Seattle, WA (US)
Current Employee - Sourcer in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-No micromanagement. Everyone is encouraged to do their job the way they think will be the most productive. You're free to be creative in order to be successful!
-Great culture. Dogs, jeans, high-fives, gongs, and some of the smartest people I've ever met!
-This is by far the most innovative, progressive, and collaborative business I've had the pleasure of working for. I'm blown away at this huge corporation's ability to function like a start-up.
-Upper management is very involved in all day-to-day processes. It's a flatter organization than most.

Cons

-It's hard work. Every day.
-The organization is ever-changing which makes it difficult to "get used to" your job.

3700 Other Employee Reviews for Amazon.com (View Most Recent)

Progressively Structured and Formal

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Customer-centric and fast paced. Always launching new services to customers. Great peers and direct reports, everyone genuinely comes to work ready to work hard. I've seen many entry level employees move to management or analyst positions over the years. Some of the smartest leaders and managers I've worked with have come through the doors at Amazon. Pay is competitive.

Cons

Where once there was an environment for innovation there is red tape, especially in operations where front line associates want so badly to be heard and respected. Fast growth and formal structure is overtaking the informal and unstructured culture that was once sought after. Poor hiring decisions - There are so many new mid/high level managers hired externally who do not exude Amazon leadership principles. They have MBA's but don't know how to work with people, develop or inspire them.

Company culture is waning. Remember what it means to be an Amazonian, and the pride behind the brand years ago. I've seen more reliable, smart, inventive people who were going to be lifers with Amazon leave in the last two years. My newly hired peers typically shy away from healthy debate. Hear what your front line employees are saying they are the backbone of the company.

Love / Hate Relationship

Former Employee - Senior Software Development Manager III in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Software Development Manager III in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of smart people, lots of cool projects, really value their top employees, good compensation

Cons

poor health care benefits, caustic work environment (dog eat dog), high attrition rate, too much work not enough life balance, really only values top top employees

Consider the reputation that you have in the community. You have 1/2 of an incredible company (i.e. the smart people, cool projects, $ to spend, customer focus), but your regretted attrition rate speaks to a culture that doesn't truly value its employees.

There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com