Amazon.com

www.amazon.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

Fine company

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA (US)
Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fast moving, aggressive road map and interesting projects

Cons

workload is high, compensation is no longer very competitive

4385 Other Employee Reviews for Amazon.com (View Most Recent)

Get off my back, out of my way and let me sell!

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time

Pros

The most innovative company in the market with an incredible offering that really enables the business of the customers. The people who work here at all levels are astounding and brilliant. The product helps the customers like no offering I have ever been a part of. A trully game changing set of tools and solutions.

Cons

Lots of the cons depend on your sales manager as with all sales jobs. I struck out and landed the worst manager I have ever had. The company already has a culture of who can work harder and longer hours but my manager likes to assign mindless busy work. He never listens to his people and never under any circumstances agrees with us. The company has not had a sales staff so they have yet to learn how to get it done. They saddle us with onerous busy work - reports, QBRs, strategy documents, reviews on and on. Can I go sell please? Comp plan is fairly weak as well (recruiters really over sell it by a lot). I'll put up with it for the short term as I like enabling my clients but when the competition closes the gap I'll go find a culture that enables the sale people rather than micro-managing and dis empowering.

The Romans did not rule the world by having meetings or doing reports. They did it by killing all who opposed them.

Progressively Structured and Formal

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Customer-centric and fast paced. Always launching new services to customers. Great peers and direct reports, everyone genuinely comes to work ready to work hard. I've seen many entry level employees move to management or analyst positions over the years. Some of the smartest leaders and managers I've worked with have come through the doors at Amazon. Pay is competitive.

Cons

Where once there was an environment for innovation there is red tape, especially in operations where front line associates want so badly to be heard and respected. Fast growth and formal structure is overtaking the informal and unstructured culture that was once sought after. Poor hiring decisions - There are so many new mid/high level managers hired externally who do not exude Amazon leadership principles. They have MBA's but don't know how to work with people, develop or inspire them.

Company culture is waning. Remember what it means to be an Amazonian, and the pride behind the brand years ago. I've seen more reliable, smart, inventive people who were going to be lifers with Amazon leave in the last two years. My newly hired peers typically shy away from healthy debate. Hear what your front line employees are saying they are the backbone of the company.

There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com