Working in the Fulfillment Center

Current Employee - Trainer  in  West Columbia, SC (US)
Current Employee - Trainer in West Columbia, SC (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

There will always be work for you to do and you have the opportunity to learn different process paths if your area is slow.

Cons

People are treated like machines and numbers take precedent to anything else rather than customer obsession as the company claims. I find that operations and management are consistently inconsistent. I understand CAE 1 is a start up building but it should over the hump by now. Training is offered but managers are so number driven to where they won't even allow associates to complete their full training so they can hurry to get them on the floor to make a million mistakes, SMH.

Learn how to manage people effectively and goals will be met. Too much cut throat, dog eat dog atmosphere in the fc's but there is always room for improvement. A college degree DOES NOT make you an automatic manager, need to scrap that philosophy very quickly.

Other Reviews for Amazon.com

Decent workplace,local company, recommended

Current Employee - Other  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Other in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com part-time for more than a year

Pros

Growing company, very diversified, benefits

Cons

With any job there's cons

Amazon will eat your soul

Current Employee - Software Engineer I  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer I in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

The best part about Amazon is its focus on ownership. You really have the opportunity to contribute to your project, and in more ways than just "here's the feature, code it up". You get to think of how you want to improve the project and are encouraged to do so in anyway you can.

There's not much to say about compensation and benefits. They're around average, but I still list it as a pro.

Free snacks in the kitchen.

Cons

I can't imagine having less work-life balance.

We don't get sick days, so when you get sick you come in to work and give whatever you have to everyone else (and they return the favor, hooray!). They don't bother mentioning it in the offer, so it comes as a pretty big shock when you get sick - "Oh, by the way we're the only major company ever to not offer sick days." Of course you can take some of your very limited vacation days instead if you want (that is, if you even have any saved up).

Another perk they don't tell you about: being on call. They don't have Ops teams here and barely have Customer Service, so as an SDE you get to play both. Getting paged at 3am for issues beyond your control is not a lot of fun, and neither is responding to customer issues all day with "this behavior is expected".

And I hear if you're in Seattle, it's even worse (as in, even less work-life balance). God help our Seattle brethren.

Management is pretty open about the high turnover rate (gee, I wonder why people are leaving) with the average person leaving after about 6 months. So my advice would be: If you're *that* aware of the problem, *do something* about it. Let me recover when I'm sick. Stop taking your product so seriously that if a small portion is down for a few minutes you need to wake up your devs to "fix" it (sit around and wait for it to fix itself).

There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com.

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!