Amazon.com

www.amazon.com
There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Trainer in Jeff, IN (US)
Current Employee - Trainer in Jeff, IN (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Company is growing like wildfire. And the really care about their employees

Cons

They dont promote management from with in on a regular basis. It is extremely hard to go from a tier 3 to an AM postion.

Start promoting more tier 3s to an AM.

4150 Other Employee Reviews for Amazon.com (View Most Recent)

Putting people through the wringer

Current Employee - Content Editor in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Content Editor in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are good and there are lots of opportunities for career development. Casual work environment.

Cons

Work/life balance is nonexistent. Workload is constantly ratcheted up without adequate support. Salaries are just average. Vast, bureaucratic organization includes a lot of careerists acting in nobody's interest but their own - lots of defending turf.

There is a reason so many Amazon employees burn out after two or three years. Workload demands are simply not realistic. I'm tired of losing co-workers to places like Microsoft, where they can make just as much money and have evenings and weekends to themselves.

Smoke and Mirrors

Former Employee - Premium Support Engineer (DSE) in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Premium Support Engineer (DSE) in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Free coffee, smart people and a 10% Amazon discount across the board. Macbook Pros are nice too.

Cons

Working at AWS in their "Support" department was a real let down for me. I went from owning projects and creating new systems to answering phone calls and chats explaining to moronic customers that they are wrong, how to fix it and then wait for them to fix it while having a read-only view into their environment. My job could be done just as easily without a real computer, I only need some device to stream details out of our many databases.

Indentured servitude. Seriously, soon as you join Amazon you're not allowed to leave for a year or you can owe them over $20,000 really quickly. Beware, only take this job if you want to answer chats and phone calls all day. For anyone who craves or needs hands on, this isn't for you. I'm leaving before I jump off the 27th floor of the building for having my soul sucked out of my chest, I'm eating the bill from Amazon and filing bankruptcy. Nothing else I can hope to do. My personal joy in life is worth more to me than the bragging rights of working at Amazon.

Lunch and food on site is overpriced, management usually hides in their office cubes with no interaction and the emphasis on "numbers" is there even though they claim it's not.

8 month experienced managers telling people things that are obviously wrong like "The CentOS project is the upstream for RHEL" is ridiculous. Why interview technically if no technical skill is required to do this job? Why not just hire Comcast Tech Support drop outs instead of wasting engineers in the work force?

Explain the job role properly to prospective engineers, you got me in on false pretenses. I want to walk into your office and scream "F* YOU", but I can't.

There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com