There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

amazon web service intern

I worked at Amazon.com

Pros

Great environment. Grow fast. Perfect for fresh grads

Cons

No cons in my intern

3510 Other Employee Reviews for Amazon.com (View Most Recent)

Putting people through the wringer

Current Employee - Content Editor  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Content Editor in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits are good and there are lots of opportunities for career development. Casual work environment.

Cons

Work/life balance is nonexistent. Workload is constantly ratcheted up without adequate support. Salaries are just average. Vast, bureaucratic organization includes a lot of careerists acting in nobody's interest but their own - lots of defending turf.

There is a reason so many Amazon employees burn out after two or three years. Workload demands are simply not realistic. I'm tired of losing co-workers to places like Microsoft, where they can make just as much money and have evenings and weekends to themselves.

Growing too fast, things slipping through the cracks

Former Employee - Customer Service  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Amazon.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

Coaching.
    Employee Discounts.
    Customers that are appreciative of assistance.
    Opportunity to telecommute.
    Chance to earn prizes and bonus.

Cons

Cost of BYOD [bring your own device] far more than communicated and ultimately far less valid given the limited seasonal employment. Probably spent at least my first week's pay covering the cost of working there for 3 or 4 months.

HR is not very competent. Told I would be hired, then ap lost had to drive across state to another recruiting drive elsewhere to get situation addressed. Also scheduling tools inaccurate - dinged for taking time systems said I had. Also was yanked back and forth on holiday scheduling multiple times daily during holiday weeks as to whether I would be working. Showed up then told I wasn't on schedule.

Felt training was inconsistent. Great to have it, but some trainers were not very knowledgeable. Lots of valuable time wasted on silly stuff. System errors often caused need to retake tests, and some answers were not current. Tactfully / constructively mentioned errors but not sure feedback was entirely appreciated :-)

My metrics / ratings were good but not hired on post season at the last minute. Cannot get unemployment because they haven't filed my income with the state. Lost out on a new job because last step was potential employer need to get more than an employment verification. Cannot apply for jobs with Amazon from outside because the system still thinks I work there and need to apply via the internal system.

Growth & taking risks is great -- just don't become the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory

Probably would have rated you three stars while I was there.

Dropped to one based on how things shook out and how poorly treated after giving heart and soul during holiday peak.

There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!