There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

I enjoy my job

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate  in  Chattanooga, TN (US)
Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Chattanooga, TN (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Amazon is always trying to improve the way they do things. As an employee, I like being made a part of some of these decisions. Amazon's healthcare benefits are amazing and I would be hard pressed to find another job with comparable coverage.

Cons

The hourly pay as a warehouse associate is mediocre at best. However, we enjoy monthly bonuses

3498 Other Employee Reviews for Amazon.com (View Most Recent)

Amazon Fulfillment-- Cutthroat and soul crushing environment that looks like a ticking time bomb from within.

Former Employee - Finance Manager (Controller)  in  Coffeyville, KS (US)
    Former Employee - Finance Manager (Controller) in Coffeyville, KS (US)

I worked at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Compensation is competitive-- as long as the stock price continues to climb. Turnover is high so there are plenty of opportunities for promotion. In the fulfillment centers Controllers work with a high degree of independence.

Cons

Turnover is high which hurts continuity and effectiveness. 60-70 hour work weeks are the norm rather than the exception. Management is often verbally abusive and behaves with a sense of entitlement. Financial consolidation and reporting is a nightmare as it's a patchwork of Excel workbooks tied together with buggy VBA code. Finance tools available at every other medium to large business are non-existent. SOX compliance terrified me given absence of tools to establish effective control of assets and inventory.

The number of employees willing and able to absorb the abuse required for being part of a startup is limited. The mantra in Seattle is that "it's still Day1" but the truth of the matter is that you are now a very large company and the pool of candidates will to absorb the abuse that comes with a startup has been exhausted. Now that the pool of potential employees includes a lot of people just looking to hold a job and grow a career (not looking for the giant payday associated with a start-up) the management approach needs to change. The extremely high turnover rate (25-30% within 12 months) should be a clear signal that your current culture limits your growth potential.

Good senior leadership, and great customer obsession

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company really is obsessed with the customer. There are a lot of really challenging projects inside the company that are a blast to work on and you get to be around a lot of really intelligent people.

Cons

Frugality being a core value sometimes comes at a cost. There aren't many company holidays or vacation days for employees. The work-life balance is definitely tilted more towards work. Deadlines are often tight and goals are very big, causing lots of late nights.

There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!