Amazon's the world's largest non-profit startup

I have been working at Amazon.com for more than a year

Pros

Almost everyone at Amazon is very talented, and the culture that Amazon explicitly values is positively unique among other megacorporations. The company is pretty generous with stock grants, though they tend to have protracted vesting schedules (could hardly be more so).

Cons

What you've heard about pagers is true. Amazon is frugal to a fault, and most technical roles involve at least some portion of after-hours on-call operational support, no matter how talented you think you are. AWS is something of an exception; that org has more outsourced support teams to help with some of the more established service issues. Negotiate on the way in because, like many companies, annual compensation increases are modest at best. The company also has a very bad habit of buying the cheapest possible laptops for even its technical employees.

Avoiding attrition by valuing your contributors is important! Small things can matter a lot more than they cost. Even young people need work/life balance for long-term success, and people at any age need to sleep uninterrupted most of the time.

Other Reviews for Amazon.com

If you have the knowledge to ge hired there is nothing to gain from working at this company

Current Employee - Systems Engineer  in  Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

You will meet a lot smart people, I'm not saying you will benefit from that.
    You will have a job and get paid, and have on your CV you worked for a "giant" (a fallen one in my eyes) like Amazon.

Cons

Operations or "on-call" - which is split between in hours and out of hours sucks it's the worst kind of operations, you can only compare it to the chinese/indian sweatshops in which kids work for a dollar for the entire week. They expect you to be "on-call" during the week form 6h to 18h (with 20min response time to tickets and less than that for conference calls), which entails that you are tethered to a high speed internet connection (so you have to stay at home) and only if you are engaged for more then 4h you are entitled to half a day off, which you have to take within next two weeks. For morning on-call (6-10AM)) you don't get anything except that now you should get to work by 12h instead of 10h. Daily on-call is plagued by constant pages and working the ticket queue, after which I sometimes think that dying is not that bad

Working hours - they expect you to work 10-18h, which totally sucks IMHO, so you can have meetings with the US teams which in turn want them to start at 18h so you end up staying even more then the expected, but usually expect to be working from 9h to 18:30h at least.

Work/life balance totally sucks, once my manager told me I should do something after work hours, i politely declined now he just gives me more work and there is no chance I can do it during office hours

Frugality - it gets annoying after some time that the company is not willing to provide for anything, even some of the coffe machines were purchased by the employees, while on the other hand other companies provide lots of stuff

Internal tools - suck and are over engineered and a nightmare to work with

Location - Kilmainham Square is a shit-hole of Dublin.

I know there are a lot of people that would like to work for Amazon, I know because I interview them, but Amazon IMHO is not a good company to work for and that should be fixed, Or at least be truthful and say that the Dublin office is a cheap remote operations office.

Good company to work for, however, as any other company it is not perfect and can improve a lot too

I worked at Amazon.com

Pros

It offers competitive salaries for management positions. It is growing fast. It is very innovative. They love change.

Cons

It is too lean some times i.e. they do not spend too much on things that improves morale. The operations team (associate and management) works very long hours. There are not too many perks as other tech companies related to them.

Improve morale to make sure people work even harder to improve the business.

There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com.

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!