American Tower

There are newer employer reviews for American Tower

Good Company to work

Current Employee - Project Lead in Bhubaneswar
Current Employee - Project Lead in Bhubaneswar

I have been working at American Tower full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

no comments as i am satisfied with this job

Cons

nothing to comments as this is the best

nothing

94 Other Employee Reviews for American Tower (View Most Recent)

so so

Current Employee - Project Manager in Patna, Bihar
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Patna, Bihar

I have been working at American Tower full-time (less than an year)

Pros

A financially stable company with stable business prospective.

Cons

not professionally managed, need to improve processes, HR management is very poor.

need more professional approach

If You Work in Engineering, Work Somewhere Else

I worked at American Tower full-time (more than an year)

Pros

ATC has good benefits: RSUs, ESPP, 401(k), surprisingly good insurance, and I personally was paid well enough. Additionally, if you learn how to navigate the system (at least in Engineering), keep your head down, and don't make waves, you can wile away your 8 hours a day doing next to nothing.

Cons

I found the culture at ATC - at least on the Engineering side where I worked - demoralizing and oppressive. Though there were some decent individuals, in general, the management was incompetent, hesitating to make simple process changes that would have made life easier for rank and file employees for no other reason than that they didn't want to stick their necks out. Their incompetence, of course, made them insecure, and their insecurity made them oppressive, so in stark contrast to their feckless dithering when it came to improving process, the one arena in which they could act decisively was when silencing criticism.

And as if the intra-group oppressiveness weren't enough, there was inter-departmental antagonism and mistrust aplenty. I personally saw emails where people in the Finance department did little more than point fingers at the Operations and Development teams, and I was involved in Operations trouble-shooting sessions where the express goal of the meeting was not to find the root cause of an incident but rather to find a way to absolve Operations by pinning responsibility on the Development team.

In an atmosphere like this, an employee generally has three options:

1. Stop caring, keep one's head down, and do as little as possible.
    2. Work the system and become as slimy an operator as the managers. For example, get yourself peripherally but non-essentially attached to as many projects as possible, then walk nonchalantly away from those projects that are bound for failure while associating yourself more closely with those projects that seem headed for success. Never take responsibility; always take credit.
    3. Leave.

If you take a job in the Engineering department of ATC, you can reasonably expect most of your colleagues to fit into one of those three groups, so if you are currently entertaining an offer from ATC and you aren't a slimy political operator, then I would sincerely advise you, as someone with no stake in your decision, to reflect soberly on your options before accepting their offer.

There's no reason to give advice to the upper management at this company. From what I could see, the rot goes high into the organization. I don't know that the rot extends to the CEO, who, though I give him a thumbs down below, always struck me as an intelligent and forthright person. However, intelligent and forthright or not, I don't think he's close enough to his organization to realize what a cesspool his Managers, Directors, and VPs were (and perhaps still are) making of his Engineering organization.

There are newer employer reviews for American Tower