There are newer employer reviews for Apple

Steve Jobs Dictatorial Style Trickles Down

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cupertino, CA (US)
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA (US)

I worked at Apple

Pros

It's great for the resume. Better still, it's a great way to meet lots of people who will ultimately move around within the industry -- an excellent way to build a professional network. In addition, you will have lots of opportunity to practice working in a somewhat chaotic, but often creative workplace, and to benefit from the genius of Steve Jobs.

Cons

It is essentially a dictatorship, and not a benevolent one. At the exec level, the leadership style is unequivocally domineering and unforgiving -- driven by fear of Steve. And many of them are just plain mean. Lower-level managers have very little control; they may be nice, but they're often irrelevant.

Learn to be leaders. Set people up to succeed. Give them the direction and the parameters for success (not micro-management or correction). Develop plans and stick to them, and help your teams work to the plan. Develop confidence in your own leadership capabilities and your own intelligence, so you don't have to operate in fear of Steve.

3731 Other Employee Reviews for Apple (View Most Recent)

Great company. Beware of rogue management.

Current Employee - Creative (Apple Store)  in  Buffalo, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Creative (Apple Store) in Buffalo, NY (US)

I have been working at Apple

Pros

The best reasons are primarily for the benefits. You get great perks from 3rd parties. The whole experience can be very rewarding at first. Selling products you can stand behind never hurts.

Cons

Depending on which store you land in, you may have to fight for justifiable pay. The smaller market stores have a tendency to operate on sales to win the attention of corporate. They focus solely on numbers and not so much the concepts and ideas of Apple. They serve out the Kool Aid and it's not bad but it's certainly not the same Kool Aid larger market stores are serving up to their staff. Beware of smaller stores.

Relax a bit and appreciate the talent you have on hand rather than belittling them. Negative reinforcement never fixes anything.

A great environment to work it, but a lot is asked for you in return.

Current Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store)  in  Northridge, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store) in Northridge, CA (US)

I have been working at Apple

Pros

Get to know the latest technology, and they teach you how to use it. You don't need to worry about commission sales, you just get out there and do your job. Some people would probably like to be on commission, but honestly, it creates a better working environment when you are not. It can be a lot of fun, the coworkers are always very colorful and fun to hang out with, and we always learn from each other. Not to mention, it isn't really difficult trying to sell things, people just buy them, all you have to do is ring them up.

Cons

Management can be a pain sometimes. Most of them don't even know about the products, I am amazed about that. The worst thing I can say about apple is about their unfair attendance. You can be fired just for showing up a little late. Sure they give you 3 days you can call out, but if there is an emergency, it doesn't matter. So many people have been fired from there, and most of it was from the attendance policy. If I am very sick, I have to suck it up and go to work with a fever. Other than that it would be great.

Well, I would tell them that they should train their managers to know about the products as well as the specialist. Because I had a manager that was stunned when (he/she) say that you can play music on the computer. Yea, its called garageband. And (he/she) has been working there for many years. I don't feel like a lot of the managers are competent. I didn't even get my work schedule until the day before. It makes really hard to make plans to study for school, or go meet with my professors when I don't even know when I work. I think a lot of them need to step up in their game. And some of the managers make you do some shady things. They want us to promote personal shopping, that's fine. But they shouldn't force us to make false ones so the stores numbers go up, that totally defeats the purpose. I just think they really need to do their jobs.

There are newer employer reviews for Apple

Worked for Apple? Contribute to the Community!