AroundCampus

www.aroundcampusgroup.com

Rough summer, but paid off!

Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee)

Pros- A paid internship (though not much) when most of what is out there is unpaid
- very supportive management team, even if they're not always with you in person. company culture is energetic and fun
- great training program - useful and fun...even more so if you "drink the kool aid" (or as they put it...lose your "cool card")
- if you want to go into sales or marketing, this is one of the hardest and therefore the most impressive thing you can do
- i had this internship the summer before my senior year of college, and when applying for post-grad jobs this was easily what I talked about most in interviews. I could draw an experience from my time with UD to answer practically any tough interview question. Companies would specifically ask me about this experience.
- while I was miserable for a lot of the time, I learned a ton about myself, my teammates, and sales in general.
- after, you will have concrete numbers to put on your resume with how much you sold and how much your team sold (even better if you hit goal and/or were one of the top in your region)

Cons- lots and lots of rejection. you are trying to sell an outdated product (print ads), and trying to get businesses to reach out to a target demographic with limited spending power (college students). At training you are obviously told there will be many NOs and to treat those answers as "not yet" but I really didn't understand what that meant until I was out there doing it. you definitely need to have a thick skin, lots of motivation and energy.
- success depends a lot on your territory and who your teammates/managers are.
- you are alone the majority of the day, aside from team meetings AM and PM and meeting with business owners throughout the day. I found it to be very lonely and wanting to share the experience with my teammates, but we all had to be off doing our own things.
- the days are long and physically/mentally tiring, and when you do the math you will likely be making far less than minimum wage
- you likely won't see your additional commission until the fall.
- depending on your market you may face stiff competition from other college marketing companies, and other students doing/selling pretty much the same thing as you

overall, I would recommend this internship if sales/marketing is what you want to get into (or if you just want to try it, like i did). Even though I probably will not go into sales after this experience, the skills I built (time management, people skills, reaching a goal, teamwork, overcoming challenges, etc) are applicable in any sort of interview. You need to be extroverted, energetic, determined, and organized to do well. So, bottom line, there were many days where I hated what I was doing, but to this day I still call and thank my managers for the unmatched experience on my resume.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore prep for overcoming objections in training, more on-site management support. Company culture is great and what kept me going through many of the tough days...always encouraging and high-energy. Loved the little contests and promotions throughout the summer.

Pain in the ass but worth it in the end

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at AroundCampus

Pros: - Looks GREAT on a resume making the long summer well worth it - Training is down in Chapel Hill, NC and is some of the… Cons: - Complete COLD CALLING so if your not comfortable with this than this isn't the job for… More

Cluttered culture, lack of compensation

Sales Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at AroundCampus as an intern for less than a year

Pros: some friendly people people are willing to lend a hand Cons: many employees seem to be unable to perform their jobs. some… Advice to Senior Management: make sure employees receive proper training and know their jobs… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on AroundCampus.

Worked for AroundCampus? Contribute to the Community!