Aspire Public Schools

No Work-Life Balance

Current Employee - Teacher
Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Aspire Public Schools

Pros

Great benefits and incredible opportunities to learn. Lots of passionate educators.

Cons

I feel they draw on your idealism to squeeze out more work than is fair to ask of one person. I want to help underprivileged students, but not at the expense of my own family. There is so much emphasis on evaluating teachers and bombarding teachers with constant strategies to boost student achievement, that I forgot what made me love teaching in the first place.

Aspire seems to be anti-textbook, which means even more work for teachers.

Understand that teaching should be a sustainable professional for people interested in making a career out of it, not just a two year stint for young TFA-ers who burn out and go to law school.

27 Other Employee Reviews for Aspire Public Schools (View Most Recent)

Great Mission

I have been working at Aspire Public Schools

Pros

Our work really does matter, we are making a difference here.

Cons

no work life balance. like everywhere in California, teachers are underpaid

Since the Founder left we are not the same.

misleading

Current Employee - Education Specialist  in  Stockton, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Education Specialist in Stockton, CA (US)

I have been working at Aspire Public Schools

Pros

They are interested in determining best practice in general education, general education very defined for those who work for Aspire, great benefits, kids are motivatied to learn, access to adequate materials, teacher training, grade level support for general education

Cons

You are part of a system not an individual with strengths and weaknesses to be developed, low tolerance for failure to comply to the way Aspire wants things run. Main focus is high scores on state testing above individual students needs, lack of training and understanding of students with disabilities on the part of the system, not family friendly

consider looking at developing a balance approach to education that includes history science which will be subject areas for the students to apply and master what they have learned in reading, language arts, math. It will show they have generalized what they have learned to all areas of academia, not just a bubble on a worksheet at 80%. Consider that most of your staffs are made up of women who have many responsiblities in their lives besides work and be a team member with them so they can be successful in life. Understand that people are individuals with life experiences, gifts, and talents that when recognized and developed it is a win win for everyone.

There are newer employer reviews for Aspire Public Schools

Worked for Aspire Public Schools? Contribute to the Community!