Autonomy

www.autonomy.com

Should never have taken the job offered to me here

Technical Support Engineer (Former Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

Pros- They hire college grads with potential
- Great people in the office. Really feel like you're in the trenches together.
- Smart people: you will learn a lot
- Great office with a great view.
- Fantastic initial compensation and benefits package
- If you get in with the right group, you're set for life (see con #1)

Cons- If you don't get in with the main clique or if you anger/annoy any of them, you experience all of the following cons
- No career growth or development. You just get shuffled around with no direction to where they need people (usually the less glamorous teams)
- No positives on the horizon. One of the reasons I had left is that no one around me had seen raises, promotions, or bonuses of any kind for 5+ years.
- Culture is very negative. Very much a thought of "let's just suck it up and do this so we don't get yelled at" instead of "let's do this because it's good business"
- Non IDOL software is extremely buggy and bugs go unfixed for months unless support hammers into development.
- Accountability almost always comes back to support. An issue taken up with management goes to support. Issues in development come from customers to support, back to development, who tries to say that the customer is wrong even if support has verified the issue. Sales reps, on-site consultants, and more- all issues just keep coming back to support.
- Huge turnover. A lot of senior guys who hadn't seen any positives in years left, making it harder to learn or master the products. With only college grads coming in, it's hard to keep experts around.

All that said, it's possible this is all changing due to HP's takeover and executive level changes. So take this with a grain of salt. Make sure this is a job you really want to do before taking the offer or it will hurt your future career.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm aware that the transition to HP is changing things slowly so it may be getting better. But to any still there from Autonomy- good managers reward success, reprimand failure, and shield their team from flak from above. They don't pass the blame and cover their own hide.

Good start, but more management needs to go.

I have been working at Autonomy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: By and large Autonomy has a talented group of individuals,… Cons: Sales - They hire too many sales people and don't properly train them. The effect is that they are effectively massively unproductive, as they are… Advice to Senior Management: Sales - Align sales staff with HP selling structure (Regional/Matrix management) and hire less sales people and more sales support (Sales Ops, Solutions Engineers, etc)… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

What am i doing?

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Cambridge, South West England, England (UK)

I have been working at Autonomy full-time

Pros: Getting paid to arrive in work when i feel like it, play pool or stand around chatting whilst… Cons: The departure of Mike Lynch and he vision he was… Advice to Senior Management: Most employees i speak to have already placed their CV's… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Autonomy.

Worked for Autonomy? Contribute to the Community!