There are newer employer reviews for Baker Distributing

Great place to work

Current Employee - Service Center Manager  in  Birmingham, AL (US)
Current Employee - Service Center Manager in Birmingham, AL (US)

I have been working at Baker Distributing

Pros

Easy computer system to learn and very good product line offering. Great customer retention also with great marketing backup. And great overall communication.

Cons

Central ordering through a distribution center by people who have no idea what your local stock levels should be. Limit of $250 for branch managers to buy goods without going through a buyer.

Allow branch managers more of a say in what their branch stocks and the levels of inventory. Also split up the larger zones into smaller ones.

10 Other Employee Reviews for Baker Distributing (View Most Recent)

Horrible company to work for. All they are worried about are the stockholders and numbers.

Former Employee - COUNTER SALES
    Former Employee - COUNTER SALES

I worked at Baker Distributing full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Monday - Friday 8-5
    Some benefits, vacation, 401K available, inside the A/C, most of the time, counter sales commission available if you fight for it.

Cons

Hostile work environment. Constant favoritism from upper management. Constant pressure for sales, sales, sales. Threats of losing job if certain "numbers" or budget are not met. Too many upper management positions (VP of Profitability ? Come on) Positions filled by "friends" of upper management. They are getting rid of, firing, repositioning, forcing out long time (20+ years) employees. They want to get rid of them because long timers had 4 week vacation and 6 sick days, and are getting paid, pretty well. Halfway long timers, like myself, had 3 weeks and 6 sick days, now, your max is 2 weeks. On top of that, are hiring new people, with no field experience, and no or very little whole sale experience, to fill positions, as opposed to hiring from within to avoid paying a decent salary. Basically, they hire a 25 year old, with no HVAC field experience and very little skills to fill a manager position because he'll do it for half the salary of a qualified person. I have personally witnessed, as have other employees and customers, the manager at the branch where I was employed belittle, use profanity, make sexist remarks to a female employee, make age related remarks to an older employee, use money out of the cash drawer and replace it with his own money at the end of the week or when an auditor would come in. I saw the manager ask another employee (his personal friend) to borrow some cash to replenish the cash drawer because an auditor was coming. I have seen this manager come in an hour to two hours late EVERY DAY. He has come in hungover, numerous times. This manager has been reported to HR at least 4 times, 3 times by employees at 2 different branches, and at least once by a customer. On one occasion, the complainant was actually retaliated against and written up by the zone manager for "poking the bear", as he put it. On 2 occasions, the reporting got right back to the manager about whom the report was made. HR relayed the complaint to the zone manager, who went and relayed it right to the manager. I, myself, had never filed a complaint because it's obviously a "good ol' boys club" in business attire. I jumped ship at the first opportunity that I saw. There is so much more that I could say, but have neither the time nor space to write about it.

Stop hiring and firing employees for no reason. There is no stability as an employee at Baker. Get rid of all of the useless positions, such as VP of Profitability, in corporate and focus on the employees at store level that actually do work and not just send endless e-mails all day long pushing for more, more, more. Get rid of the cheer leader, Mike Hall. He's useless. Get rid of the EBIT system. Maybe focus a little more on employee issues and customer service, and not the shareholders. Stop making empty promises to current valuable employees, just to turn around and stability them in the back. Too much to list. Overall horrible company to work for. If I could give it a "0", I would.

Going,Going,Goooooooone

Former Employee - Service Center Manager
    Former Employee - Service Center Manager

I worked at Baker Distributing full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

It's was a job.......It used to be much better people actually came into work smiling

Cons

Too many chiefs and not enough indians. This company is prime example of what happens when Wall Street meets contractors. Contractors could care less whether your traded on the stock market or not.

Keep your experienced guys not your book smart people. Get rid of ALL of the VP Friends Club in Jacksonville and put people that have field experince in those positions. Remember having a degree does not mean your smarter it just means you completed courses Management in Jacksonville has done some people dirty i.e. firing managers that was blamed for sales but had no outside salesperson and very little help inside. They hold back the manager then blame it on Watsco when you complain to them.

There are newer employer reviews for Baker Distributing

Worked for Baker Distributing? Contribute to the Community!