There are newer employer reviews for Bank of the West

Bank of the Worst

Former Employee - Financial Services Officer in Los Angeles, CA (US)
Former Employee - Financial Services Officer in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Bank of the West full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Salary; no other reason to work here.

Cons

Tedious paperwork, micromanagement, SEE BELOW

Bank of the West may seem like a great place to work from an outside perspective, but unfortunately it is so dulled with micromanagement and a lack of technology that there is no growth or enjoyment that comes from working there. If you want to get good at paperwork, this job is for you!

First off, the company is unbelievably cheap. Constantly looking for ways to save money at the expense of not supplying employees with necessary tools for the job. I've been declined reimbursements a multiple times. I've seen the balance sheets; they are just cheap.

I receive 20+ emails a day from my bosses' bosses' boss that are send out to her entire division regarding updated goals for the employees. Get organized!!! My goals and expectations change on the daily and the whim of al division manager.

They say "activity based management", NO; that is micromanagement. You'll spend the whole day looking at all the reports you need to complete and putting appointments in the computer twice. In fact, you have to fill out every form in paper and then input it in the system as well (which is behind in technology).

Incentive plans are terrible. Bank of the West boasts how they are uncapped. There is a cap on each type of account...You are asked daily to open accounts constantly that have no benefit to your incentive plan.

Additionally our incentive plans didn't come out till the end of February. THE QUARTER ENDS IN 30 days. It's already too late to get credit for deposits! When I asked the incentive department, they retorted that just because the plans aren't out doesn't mean you should stop working. No!, really?!, 1) Learn to speak English. 2) if you are going to work in an "incentive department", you should probably know what the word "incentive" means.

AREA MANAGERS / DIVISION MANAGERS / REGIONAL MANAGERS AND ALL OTHER HIGHER UP POSITIONS:

You are completely illiterate to what the future of management is. You are not "inspiring coaches", you are just micromanagers and letting the sh*t roll down hill.

Read some articles on bettering yourselves instead of blaming everyone else. Results based management would be a good start. Let your employees be creative in their efforts to win business; you would see a large increase in sales.

Maybe it's the fact everyone has worked here for 20 years and is still acting like this company is in the 1990s.

I am not proud of working here and do not advocate any of the products or services because of this terrible, outdated and ineffective work culture.

My hope is that BNP Paribas cleans house.

I'm seeking a career in a company that doesn't lack pragmatism and has its sh*t together.

221 Other Employee Reviews for Bank of the West (View Most Recent)

Great Learning Experience

I worked at Bank of the West as an intern

Pros

People are extremely easy to work with, and concerns about your learning
    The benefit programs are rather nice

Cons

The location of the HQ is far from downtown SF

BSA/AML

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA (US)

I have been working at Bank of the West full-time

Pros

Stable company to work for

Cons

Terrible and weak management. Compensate employees that do not want to be there, and loyal ones are treated unfairly. Favored people are given opportunities and promotions while others are passed up.

Start appreciating your loyal employees that actually want to grow and advance with Bank of the West

There are newer employer reviews for Bank of the West