Barnes & Noble

Employees reflect management

Barista (Former Employee)
Wichita, KS (US)

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time for more than 3 years

ProsI very much enjoyed working at my particular B&N in Wichita. Since I was only seasonal, the management made all the difference. They were encouraging and supportive. We looked out for each other. Out of all the places I've worked, working at Barnes and Noble was by far my favorite place to ever work. The management was what made the difference.

ConsSince I was seasonal, I really saw the changes happen when management changed. I didn't get any benefits since I worked under 30 hours: This let me get a better picture of management. When management changed, so did my hours. The managers who hired me or crossed trained me would give me hours, but new managers rarely (if ever) gave me hours.

I loved it

Cafe Server (Former Employee)
Miami, FL (US)

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time for less than a year

Pros: The people were nice and the company had great benefits.… Cons: The hours were cut sometimes and customers were rude, but… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Overall a great place for smart, friendly people

Store Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Barnes & Noble full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Staff is fantastic--smart, hardworking, highly educated. Friendly and kind. Company was undergoing a major business model shift and was making some good moves… Cons: Some real conflict of direction from above. Newer CEO ceased talking to stores, all focus went to online presence. Atmosphere became punitive for… Advice to Senior Management: While important to remain nimble in a changing marketplace, stop scaring SMs and ASMs. You need them. A negative work environment will only… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Barnes & Noble.

Worked for Barnes & Noble? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Barnes & Noble reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Barnes & Noble CEO Michael Huseby. All reviews posted anonymously by Barnes & Noble employees.