There are newer employer reviews for BioMarin Pharmaceutical

A good place to learn how science works in a pharmaceutical settings.

Former Employee - Intern  in  Novato, CA (US)
Former Employee - Intern in Novato, CA (US)

I worked at BioMarin Pharmaceutical as an intern for less than a year

Pros

-Fun atmosphere. The company did a lot to let interns interact with each other even though we were in different parts of the company.
-The company provided catered lunch every Friday as well as breakfast (fruits, bagels) every Wednesday.
-The people I worked with were very social and helpful.
-Pay was good for an internship.
-Made an effort to include the interns in the discussions and weekly meetings.
-I learned a lot just by being there. Because they are a small company, it's not difficult to pick up information from other sectors of the company.

Cons

-I definitely worked longer hours than I expected. But that was more in the beginning of the internship when I was learning new scientific techniques.
-A fair amount of repetition in terms of experimental techniques.
-Steep learning curve. I felt like I had to master all the techniques very quickly in order to do the experiment. But once I got them down, I started to get bored doing the same thing constantly.
-You will be on your feet for the majority of the day while in the lab. It is tiring for the first couple of weeks until you get used to it, even if you're in good shape.

44 Other Employee Reviews for BioMarin Pharmaceutical (View Most Recent)

poor senior leadership, insane profit margins save company

I worked at BioMarin Pharmaceutical for more than 5 years

Pros

CEO very adept at building enterprise value- great for stockholders
    Good work life balance
    Decent salary
    Definite focus on patients
    Job security

Cons

No career growth potential unless you work in Quality Assurance
    Company will always seek to secure skills externally (at great expense) instead of developing internal staff
    CEO has track record of building up phama companies just to sell them off
    Dysfunctional Board of Directors
    Many senior leaders lead by title- weak leadership benchstrength
    No vision among senior leaders
    Very silo'd functional areas
    Decisions are often short sighted- penny-wise and pound-foolish
    Definite problem attracting qualified talent- often hiring weak players from larger Biotechs in area

A creative and fast-paced environment with success to match

Current Employee - Started As Entry Level
    Current Employee - Started As Entry Level

I have been working at BioMarin Pharmaceutical full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

BioMarin is that rare biotech that embraces a more casual and creative culture. If you wonder why we are a company that has seen such stratospheric success over a relatively short period of time, it's because we focus on getting the job done and not on politics. People at BioMarin are upfront, hard-working, tolerant, and honest. You can literally talk to just about anyone, no matter their level. In my years here, the kind of people who spend their time playing politics instead of getting the job done and innovating for our patients usually leave within a year or two.

Cons

Honestly, the biggest downside is people from other environments who come here and don't get the culture. We focus on our patients. We focus on getting the job done and, compared to alot of other companies out there, we definitely don't play as many political games. Of course, there is some of this, like at every company, but generally, people are laidback, focused on doing their jobs, and treat all their co-workers with both respect and even a warmness that other places simply don't have. I am shocked that our overall score on Glassdoor is so low and felt it was my duty to help even out the very biased notions of a few people who just seem bitter that they didn't understand a culture that is focused on creativity and innovation, not protocol and politics.

As we grow, it's important for us to gain knowledge and experience from people who come from other companies and cultures; however, these hires seem to either work out spectacularly or fail miserably. I think this explains the low Glassdoor score. Maybe we need to add more of a focus on personalities and culture fit to our vetting process.

There are newer employer reviews for BioMarin Pharmaceutical

Worked for BioMarin Pharmaceutical? Contribute to the Community!