CEM Corp

cemcorp.net
  cemcorp.net
There are newer employer reviews for CEM Corp

Belittled, exploited and everyone for themselves.

Former Employee - Outside Machinist/Rigger/Ship Fitting/Shop Worker in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at CEM Corp

Pros

Repairing Naval Ships. Each ship becomes unique from the repairs and modifications carried out during a particular ships lifetime. Everyday it's different. You work next to other companies employees. Sometimes you can learn by watching other technicians working on similar systems. For me, I enjoyed overcoming different challenges and working in an ever changing environment. I also enjoyed having results when asked for an update concerning repairs. And the satisfaction that my hard work makes a difference in the safety of our Nation by giving our Navy and it's sailors every advantage to carry out their mission, be victorious and return home safely. I feel a great deal of accomplishment knowing that my repairs improves the efficiency of the ship's operating parameters.

Cons

The lack of team work. It feels like everybody's out for themselves. There are certain people that believe that their seniority entitles them to spread viscous rumors and to openly belittle anyone and everyone. There are other certain people who cannot communicate without screaming profanity in an unprofessional, verbally abusing manor on the shop floor or in a ships space. There are certain technicians that use your tools as they see fit without any concern how that affects or sabotages the repair that your in the middle of, sometimes because they're too cheap to buy there own or they're too lazy to carry the tools the may need to make their job easier. My tools are my livelihood. Do not come to me to borrow my tools, then go back and make me your excuse why your job isn't finished because I refused to loan you my tools that I'm lugging all over the ship. There's three classes of employees at CEM Corp. The old timers that have been there 15 years or longer and the newer employees with 4 years or less. And the relatives of the management. Who after 30 days on the job, is already earning more than their leadman that still training them. There are technicians that hide certain pieces of shop owed equipment to guaranty that they'll have vip access to those things if they're chosen for any job that may require that particular item. This is a very common practice among the oldtimers. The newer employees get screamed at by management to get what they need out of the tool room when in reality these oldtimers either for kicks or to make certain employees look bad. It didn't take long for me to take out a bank loan purchase my own shop supplied tools and equipment. Lastly the Vice President/General Manager stopped paying double time to those that worked the seventh day straight by saying that there is no law that entitles an employee to double time payment for hours worked on the seventh day. And if you were a good worker, they would your hard with weekend work.

Compensate any employee by paying double time if they sacrifice their days off and working seven days a week just to meet some unrealistic deadline. Stop exploiting the few employees that actually work. Get rid of the dead weight. The mechanics who knows exactly what tools they need for a certain job who seems to forget the most important tool for that particular job. they end up spending more time driving than working. Maybe hiring one of those teambuilding speaker's that'll also teach management how to lead with assertiveness and authority and not by screaming like he's a guest on The Jerry Springer show!

1 Other Employee Reviews for CEM Corp (View Most Recent)

There are newer employer reviews for CEM Corp