There are newer employer reviews for Cisco Systems

Cisco has out sourced it's culture and now we're out sourcing our common sense and good judgement

Current Employee - Program Manager
Current Employee - Program Manager

I have been working at Cisco Systems

Pros

Large company, still recognized as good branding on your resume. Work life balance is ok.
Pay is ok, but not competitive with other industry leaders. There are good people still left in the company to mentor you, but they are quickly leaving.

Cons

Cisco is in a constant Limited Restructure (Lay off) mode. When a group fails at a project the leadership moves to another group and the engineers are laid off. Way to many VPs Directors and managers. There are managers with only one or two people under them. Same with Directors and VPs. Cisco has lost its focus and the Senior Leadership team is driving the ship into the icebergs. Pay raises and promotions are only available to the managers and above. Cisco considers it an insult to give a 2% pay raise to cover cost of living, so they may give you 5% every 5 or 6 years. Recent Cisco motto is Be thankful you have a job!

The market says it well, Cisco is dead in the waters. We are the laughing stock of San Jose as well as Wall Street. Fire the board members and change the whole Senior Leadership. ANd maybe the stock will go up and we can regain our self respect finally. Stop out sourcing jobs to boost your stock options and pay.

5181 Other Employee Reviews for Cisco Systems (View Most Recent)

Amazing opportunities, but very stressful and a lot of hidden agendas

I worked at Cisco Systems

Pros

Was a rewarding job, great people, great talent. Can accomplish great strides with the resources available. Excellent benefits, people and work environment.

Cons

Management is focused on short term wins of outsourcing and has lost site of what made Cisco huge. It has lost a lot of great talent and the remaining talent is focused on doing only what they are told and quick fixes. Too much politics and committees and STRESS

Good place to work and learn if you are doing what you love, else just another big company and you are an employee!!

Current Employee - Software Engineer III in San Jose, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer III in San Jose, CA (US)

I have been working at Cisco Systems

Pros

1. If you are working in the right division on the right job you are good.
    2. Good benefits such as Vacation time, Insurance and if you have a good manager good work-life balance as well.
    3. Brand Name

Cons

1. Your growth is directly proportional to the number of people you know inside Cisco.
    2. Most managers are very technical and resolve your technical issues if you are stuck but that stops there, people skills are negligible to Zero with most.
    3. Size of the company is a problem, you are just another employee in the 70k folks inside, some employee services such as Immigration take your service request for granted.

Take care of the employees, Train managers candidates well before promoting them.

There are newer employer reviews for Cisco Systems