Cisco Systems

www.cisco.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Cisco Systems

Cisco has out sourced it's culture and now we're out sourcing our common sense and good judgement

Current Employee - Program Manager
Current Employee - Program Manager

I have been working at Cisco Systems

Pros

Large company, still recognized as good branding on your resume. Work life balance is ok.
Pay is ok, but not competitive with other industry leaders. There are good people still left in the company to mentor you, but they are quickly leaving.

Cons

Cisco is in a constant Limited Restructure (Lay off) mode. When a group fails at a project the leadership moves to another group and the engineers are laid off. Way to many VPs Directors and managers. There are managers with only one or two people under them. Same with Directors and VPs. Cisco has lost its focus and the Senior Leadership team is driving the ship into the icebergs. Pay raises and promotions are only available to the managers and above. Cisco considers it an insult to give a 2% pay raise to cover cost of living, so they may give you 5% every 5 or 6 years. Recent Cisco motto is Be thankful you have a job!

The market says it well, Cisco is dead in the waters. We are the laughing stock of San Jose as well as Wall Street. Fire the board members and change the whole Senior Leadership. ANd maybe the stock will go up and we can regain our self respect finally. Stop out sourcing jobs to boost your stock options and pay.

5780 Other Employee Reviews for Cisco Systems (View Most Recent)

Not the place it once was..

Current Employee - Software Engineer III in San Jose, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer III in San Jose, CA (US)

I have been working at Cisco Systems

Pros

Opportunities to network with some of the brightest minds in Computer Networks
    Good benefits and compensation
    Flexibility to move within the organization

Cons

Becoming increasingly bureaucratic with a "my way or the highway" leadership style, Increased lack of transparency in management, Bad hiring practices, increasing mediocrity in talent, Management does not take your career development seriously, Extremely long work hours to fulfill mundane duties, Sub-par processes and lots of inefficiencies

Fix the hiring process, empower engineers to make decisions (at your core, you are still an engineering company), remove unwanted inefficiencies in processes make it easier for engineers to do their job.

Amazing opportunities, but very stressful and a lot of hidden agendas

I worked at Cisco Systems

Pros

Was a rewarding job, great people, great talent. Can accomplish great strides with the resources available. Excellent benefits, people and work environment.

Cons

Management is focused on short term wins of outsourcing and has lost site of what made Cisco huge. It has lost a lot of great talent and the remaining talent is focused on doing only what they are told and quick fixes. Too much politics and committees and STRESS

There are newer employer reviews for Cisco Systems