There are newer employer reviews for Con Edison

Very Long-lived NYC Firm

I have been working at Con Edison

Pros

It's an extremely stable company

Cons

You have to deal with the Hierarchy

32 Other Employee Reviews for Con Edison (View Most Recent)

Overall, Great.

Current Employee - Summer Intern  in  New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Summer Intern in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Con Edison part-time for less than a year

Pros

Con Edison is a great company in my eyes. They have both union workers, and management employees who all work together towards a common goal- providing the customer with steady/reliable service.

Cons

For the intern program, I feel that the interns could have been given more responsibilty. A lot was busy data / organizing work.

Great place to work! Good salary, solid hours, and nice people.

Former Employee - Full-time Engineer Trainee  in  New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Full-time Engineer Trainee in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Con Edison as an intern for more than a year

Pros

I really felt I was using my technical skills as an engineer for the public good, for good pay, good pay and good job security. You get a wide exposure to many tasks. Great training program, which allows you to move your career where you want to go. Depending on your supervisor, they really work with you in terms of hours (early bird hours, one day off a week), and depending on your position, you can make a LOT of overtime at 1.5 pay, which is nice in an expensive city like NYC. Many people make a life-time commitment to the company.

Cons

I felt the work was not challenging enough sometimes, and was often repetitive. It's a very vertical company, where your position on the totem matters a lot (too much sometimes). It's very old school and things are often "done that way, because they have always been done that way," so you encounter a lot of resistance to change, which as a young professional was frustrating. If you're an international student working there on a student visa, they do not sponsor you.

It's unfortunate that after more than a year working for ConEd, loving the company and doing great work (as stated in one of the most amazing reference letters I have ever received from a former supervisor), there was no mechanism to sponsor an international student who had lived in the United States since I was seven, and it was sad that I felt strung along to the end, when I should have been encouraged to start looking for another company who would have sponsored me. I mention this not because I am currently in a bad situation, I'm doing great, found a great job, but I would not wish this situation on someone else. I suggest you be clear about this from the onset.

There are newer employer reviews for Con Edison

Worked for Con Edison? Contribute to the Community!