Conn's

www.conns.com

Avoid. Oppressive, unpleasant work environment.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Houston, TX (US)

Pros* Conn's gives plenty of hours, and doesn't mind if you work over your scheduled times.

* Management opportunities for associates who consistently beat their sales goals.

Cons* Verbally abusive management. Examples include: managers yelling in associates' faces on the sales floor, being threatened with suspension for simple mistakes, or threats of an associate being forced to work on the delivery team, without pay, on their day off for errors with processing customer delivery.

* High-pressure sales environment. Employees are compelled to have customers make large purchases on lines of credit, and suggest that every customer who is not eligible for the two upper tiers of credit take "RAC Acceptance" (Rent-A-Center). RAC merchandise is financed with high interest, and may be repossessed in the event of non-payment.

* Two weeks of training- as well as frequent mandatory meetings- at the corporate office, with no drive time or mileage reimbursement if you live out of town.

* Archaic, obtuse computer system. Lengthy, complicated credit approvals. Terminals often go down or require approval from the "Hotline" (Helpdesk) to finalize transactions. Furthermore, the Hotline staff often seems overworked, rushed, and even hostile towards sales associates who need their help to approve credit/promotions/discounts for crucial sales.

* Associates who do not sell at least $40,000/month can face disciplinary action.

* Call logs are required paperwork, with a minimum of 10 customers called every day.

* Mandatory purchase of $160.00 of embroidered employee shirts (not reimbursed by Conn's).

* Daily surveillance of employees by the corporate office via the security cameras. Beyond standard loss prevention, employees potentially face disciplinary action for "horseplay," talking in small groups, or sitting at a computer terminal without a visible customer.

* Associates in our store experienced issues with prizes for sales contests being delayed, substituted, or simply never awarded.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpgrading the computers to modern standards would make a huge difference- look at Best Buy terminals for a good example. Primarily, however- make Conn's a place people actually ENJOY working at, instead of trying to compel employees with negative, fear-driven reinforcement.

Great if You need absolutely need a job right now

Collector (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at Conn's full-time for less than a year

Pros: On time pay most of the time Cons: Fighting to meet goals, if goal is not met be prepared to start packing. Not… Advice to Senior Management: Stop micromanaging and learn to give others space to do… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

ok but could be better

Sales Associate (Current Employee) DFW, TX (US)

I have been working at Conn's full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: I love my manager's and co workers Cons: They want use to sell insurance, and RSA. RSA is easy, but insurance not so much. They cut our commision down to 3% on selling… Advice to Senior Management: Give your empolyee's back their full commisions as we deserve… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Conn's.

Worked for Conn's? Contribute to the Community!