CouchSurfing

www.couchsurfing.org

Empowered and encouraged to be creative

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsCouchsurfing is a small startup with a very passionate userbase that have had life changing experiences through Couchsurfing. The company is currently totally redeveloping the entire website, along with its mobile apps, giving employees a unique opportunity to solve complex problems while having the freedom of creating new solutions.

All of the teams and employees are empowered to come up with solutions, with management acting as good mentors and guides. I've found all of the management very easy to talk to, and always open for feedback.

My favorite part about working at Couchsurfing is seeing the company working on new and better technology to solve problems the community has been dealing with for many years. I'm excited for the world to see a modern Couchsurfing service that makes it easier for members to have amazing experiences.

ConsIn contrast to most startups, Couchsurfing has been around for nearly 10 years. During this time, the website became quite outdated and dysfunctional, and the community's relationship with the company started to sour. The current Couchsurfing staff are remaking the entire website, while also rebuilding and repairing relationships with some of the long-time members.

Advice to Senior ManagementPush hard, stay focused, and keep the vision of a better Couchsurfing in the minds of everyone

What was once a user-centric, hospitality-driven trusted community is quickly turning into just another travel website

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at CouchSurfing full-time for more than a year

Pros: Many of the people who work at CouchSurfing are wonderful, but leadership leaves much to be desired. Members of CouchSurfing are extremely passionate and… Cons: I agree with another reviewer who said that this has turned into a hierarchical organization run by a culture of fear. There have been… Advice to Senior Management: It's one thing to talk about having a strong culture, and another thing to practice what you preach. Diversity in perspectives, skills, nationality, background… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

A different world — now in turbo mode

I have been working at CouchSurfing

Pros: You get stuff done. A LOT of stuff. Extremely results-oriented; what matters is what you accomplish. Politics is at an absolute minimum, or maybe even zero. Incredibly low-drama… Cons: People absolutely get fired. Not arbitrarily; it's uniformly either for lack of skills or because the way they work is ineffective for the organization, but… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on CouchSurfing.

Worked for CouchSurfing? Contribute to the Community!