CouchSurfing

www.couchsurfing.org

A good company to work for.

Engineer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

Pros- Every day that I step through the front doors of the office, I feel relaxed. I can genuinely say that I *enjoy* working here.

- The people that I work with are talented, interesting, and fun. No exceptions.

- The food is high quality.

- We are working on a product that is creating genuine, real-life connections between strangers. That's core to Couchsurfing's mission. Despite the drastic changes that I've witnessed in the past few years at this company, I haven't seen our focus on that mission waver.

- Couchsurfing's users are awesome. The majority of them are appreciative, involved, and caring. I feel so lucky to be working on a product that my friends love and use every day.

- Management has successfully rejuvenated a company that was stagnating a few years ago. While the firings that have happened here since I arrived make me sad, it's clear that CS is doing very well with the new direction it has taken.

- As an engineer, I have lots of opportunities to learn and grow at Couchsurfing. I have the opportunity to work on interesting, unique, and challenging projects with extremely talented colleagues.

- My coworkers are very knowledgable and the managers are excellent mentors.

----

Many of the reviews I've read on this page are very unbalanced -- either they're raving about how CS has changed their lives completely and how this is the best place in the world, or they're complaining about how completely screwed everyone is and that management is Evil.

I think it's best to step back, take a deep breath, and think about things from a logical place instead of an emotional one. Couchsurfing isn't a work-utopia where everything's perfect. No company is like that. Layoffs will happen from time to time, and they're not ever going to be fun.

As an engineer, I haven't experienced the "culture of fear" that other reviewers allude to. It might have something to do with the economy in Silicon Valley right now -- there are many many choices out there for engineers. Getting fired isn't a massive setback, and it's difficult to find and retain good engineers. We get treated well. My non-engineering colleagues, however, also seem happy and satisfied with their jobs.

Cons- Couchsurfing is undergoing a painful transition from not-for-profit to silicon-valley startup. In my time here, there have been three rounds of layoffs. They weren't fun. People that I have a lot of respect for got fired. (Thankfully, I still get to see them often, and in most cases, they have moved on to other interesting things. They are all still leading happy lives.)

- Some members of the Couchsurfing community (the people that we make the website for!) are very loud and grumpy about the changes we make. This is inevitable when you have an engaged community, but sometimes it's difficult to watch a feature you've worked on get torn apart by angry users.

- Like one of the other reviewers mentioned, I'm not a big fan of the fact that we recently removed the community postcards from the walls. Also, I liked the "live your dream, share your passion" poster. It'd be nice if we put those back. (To be fair, though, we replaced both with pictures of our community at Couchsurfing events. So we still get to see people in our community doing awesome things, which I find somewhat inspiring.)

- Occasionally I feel that there is a communication barrier between management and employees. It goes both ways: When someone gets fired, the rest of the company doesn't get much warning and I feel blindsided. In the other direction, sometimes people get upset or confused about things and gossip about it with each other instead of bringing it up to management. I want to be careful to say that this is not the norm, just something that I've seen happen from time to time.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have a very difficult job, and I think you're doing it well. Please be careful to not surprise employees with big changes. And please encourage us to tell you ASAP if we aren't satisfied with something.

The best job I've ever had

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at CouchSurfing full-time for less than a year

Pros: -From the beginning I have felt empowered to expand my role, take on more responsibility, and challenge myself. -Upper management has been nothing but transparent… Cons: -The office needs more bathrooms. There is always a line and it is annoying -The heating and cooling is a… Advice to Senior Management: Getting fired is hard. Many of the reviews here are from people who have felt the sting of a recent layoff from a company they… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

new and awesome challenges everyday that keep me learning and growing as an engineer

Engineer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at CouchSurfing full-time for less than a year

Pros: I really love the people I work with. The other engineers are extremely talented and I learn from them every single day. The work is… Cons: I love my work so much, that sometimes its hard to balance out other parts of my life. I find myself staying up through the… Advice to Senior Management: Keep up the good work. Its going to be an… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on CouchSurfing.

Worked for CouchSurfing? Contribute to the Community!