DISH

www.dish.com
  www.dish.com
There are newer employer reviews for DISH

Where are the improvements?

Current Employee - Loyalty Agent in Thornton, CO (US)
Current Employee - Loyalty Agent in Thornton, CO (US)

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Customers and coworkers. You do get paid so I guess that could be considered a pro. A 20 word minimum is hard to reach in the pro section.

Cons

New CEO sent out a memo saying that the benefits package will be improved... Never happened. Terrible insurance! Chain of command is useless. They fire the good agents and coaches, and keep incompetent people. Too much pressure to reach "metrics". AHT, upsell, QA, CSAT and FCR. What happened to customer service? Now we even get put on a naughty list if we give too many credits to customers. Constant fear of being fired for any reason at any time. Dish is not even remotely a "great place to work".

Better benefits. We need affordable insurance, not cruises and cars. Don't give us "talking points" and not give us time to use them. Handle time should not come into play when your job is to save customers. Your agents are disconnecting great customers just to lower their AHT. How can you be so blind? Have your agents review their coaches. You might just learn something.

1856 Other Employee Reviews for DISH (View Most Recent)

Very Disappointed

Current Employee - Manager in Englewood, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Englewood, CO (US)

I have been working at DISH full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Really great colleagues. There's a real sense of being in this together, so most everyone is supportive of one another.

Beautiful campus. It's on a golf course with public trails. In sunny Colorado.

Free parking.

Cons

The problem at Dish isn’t just money (which, in my field, is below market) or benefits (expensive health care that doesn’t kick in for several months, two weeks of vacation for the first three years, few holidays, no cash bonus for G&A employees, and stock bonus capped at $4,000 for non-officers).

It’s also culture. Dish is the most callous place I’ve ever worked.

If you interview outside HR offices at Dish HQ (headquarters), take a look around and listen. There’s very little laughter. Some areas are practically silent. In other areas, you might hear yelling.

Also, check out the condition of the furniture while you’re walking around. Furniture is old and often broken. There are holes in the floor, so you have to watch where you step or move a chair.

The company’s trying to improve the atmosphere through a leadership initiative, but, the approach has flaws.

For example, the company is not taking a measurement of the people they are trying to develop. With no measurement and re-measurement, how will anyone know if managers have implemented what they have learned? Instead, they’re using a survey that focused on feelings rather than actions. Because employee IDs were required to take the survey, several colleagues have said they did not answer the survey candidly out of fear for their employment.

Also, the program seems to be focused on middle management. Dish has a notorious reputation in Denver for managing through fear (which is why so many jobs at Dish HQ are filled with people from outside Colorado). As several recent articles and reviews have pointed out, this comes from the top. For example, there was a lot of publicity about a VP that pushed the geriatric father of another attorney at court. Nothing has been done about this. If the problems were not cultural, why would these behaviors be tolerated?

Other behaviors for which Dish is notorious are micromanaging, vindictiveness, yelling, throwing objects (and sometimes hitting people with those objects), and threatening to fire people at the drop of a hat over small matters.

The demands on personal time are tremendous. As other reviewers have pointed out, it's difficult to cultivate a life outside of Dish if you want to keep your job. I’ve worked every vacation and nearly every weekend and holiday, have been told to cancel medical appointments at my expense, and couldn’t attend a relative’s funeral. I’ve received no comp time for all of this work.

Also, the company isn’t known from promoting internally. A common phrase around the office is that for Dish, there’s always someone better on the outside.

On the plus side, if you’re hired at Dish, looking for another job in Denver is easier for two reasons. First, many interviewers don’t need a reason for leaving Dish. For them, the company’s name is enough. Second, people are impressed that you survived Dish. To them, if you can survive Dish, you can survive anywhere.

Leverage the reviews here to improve working conditions for employees and the company's overall reputation as an employer.

Current DD/BB/RV in Phoenix

Current Employee - Advanced Technical Supervisor in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Advanced Technical Supervisor in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Overall the company is in a very good spot.

Growth-

The business is changing rapidly and growing. The managers are very much a part of the site and not locked away in an office giving orders. The opportunity to stand out, get yourself noticed and promoted into your position of interested is the best thing about working in the site. The job is what you make it just like anything else in life. Working hard and enjoying the rewards of your work. The managers in Phoenix have created an atmosphere of striving to be the best not only within our site but companywide. I have never worked in another call center where employees talk about making DISH their career and just another job. Someone with little to no education outside of a high school diploma will be given the opportunity to grow into their position of interest. 95% of the current management in Phoenix started off an entry level agent on the phones and worked their way into the position they hold today. Promotions are always done internally.

Pay-

The job pays well. Plain and simple. There are plenty of opportunities for the entry level employees to make 2 different performance based incentives on top of their base pay. The more tenured agents usually a part of the advanced tech program and are paid more as an hourly rate, and they also can make sales incentive bonuses. Everyone is also given an annual raise and performance appraisal.

Managers-
    The GM and management team is very accessible at all times .Unlike any other jobs in which managers are hidden away from the site, the managers in Phoenix are seated as a part of it. There have been plenty of situations in which a manager will make a special exception for an employee to help. It ranges from schedules, days off, etc. There has been many times in which I had something going on outside of work and I am comfortable enough to talk to my bosses and listen to the advice they provide. Things like that make me want to work for them. Dish is a great company but when I get up in the morning I come to work for the managers in Phoenix.

Cons

There is an opportunity for health benefits and coverage to improve but the plan is just okay compared to other companies.

There are plenty of happy people working for you. Not enough of us are posting on a website like this. We are excited at the growth and change.I love my company and I love my job and plenty of people feel the same way.

There are newer employer reviews for DISH