There are newer employer reviews for DISH

Promised a great opportunity, provided a lie

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great tech's that work hard everyday. Four day work week. Great direct Managment. Ok pay.

Cons

Techs are overloaded pay a dispatch computer that sends them all over the map with dispatchers who don't care. Upper management screams about points per hour but says the dispatch system doesn't have anything to do with it. Upper management tells lower to do things that are completely unrealistic. Wants van layouts that Dont work And then want to punish techs for not having their vans to layout. Consistently raise monthly goals for sales that techs have to meet and threaten to write them up if they don't meet the goals. Meanwhile, they are trying to finish 7 jobs and bring some of those jobs up to standard that subcontractors did wrong. Providing insurance that is useless unless you get in to a major accident but charge you $150 a paycheck to have it. Upper management doesn't care what their lower managers have to say. They will tell their IM's and FSM's one thing one day and another the next. Get angry when they didn't accomplish goals when the goals were not reachable to begin with. Upper management doesn't care now nor will they ever care about the techs. If a manager shows any kind of loyalty to a tech, that manager is singled out and they find a way to punish him. To show you the integrity of the company. When Dish was listed "As the worst company to work for" all of our managers received e mails from The Colorado home office stating. Please go to Glassdoor.com and tell everyone how wonderful it is to work here at Dish. That may be true in Colorado, in the field elsewhere however, no. Run far and run fast. Just don't run to here.....

Listen to the people who are actually in the field doing the job. Don't threaten people or make them feel like they don't matter but tell them to treat others like gold. Train people better so they don't get in to the field and get lost. You can't expect people to do a good job without providing the tools

1798 Other Employee Reviews for DISH (View Most Recent)

Dish is not for the easily winded.

Current Employee - Field Service Specialist I in Norman, OK (US)
    Current Employee - Field Service Specialist I in Norman, OK (US)

I have been working at DISH full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great pay, benefits, and opportunity for advancement. A lot of interaction with all likes of people. You don't have a manager up your a... all day long.

Cons

Long work days, normally about 10 hours a day but it could be in excess of 15 hours in a day. I only have to work 4 days a week at the moment because my office is over their quota for techs. However, if it drops below the quota then you may be required to work mandatory 5th days.

Hire more qualified management.

Demoralizing, Every Man For Himself Company Culture

Current Employee - Field Service Specialist I in Wilmington, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Field Service Specialist I in Wilmington, MA (US)

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Van, Tools, Training and Uniform provided. No personal investment required (think contractors). Enjoyable to work outdoors. Like any job, I'll miss the people I worked with.

Cons

I started working for Dish with a can-do, carpe diem, make your own opportunities work ethic, and left downtrodden and cynical 18 months later.
    Without exaggeration, in an office of about 20 technicians, an average of one and a half technicians left for every month I worked there. We were hired to work 4x10 shifts, but it was very rare to work less than 12 hours. As we started to lose techs faster than we hired them, one or two days of mandatory overtime a week was the norm. Yes, we were paid, but it was mandatory and usually imposed right before the end of the work week. You made plans for the weekend a month ago? Too bad. You hardly ever spend time with friends or family because you're desperate to hold on to your $14/hour job? Take it or leave it. This multibillion dollar company won't risk one penny of its share value to improve working conditions.
    The most important tools used to evaluate your job performance were QAS (quality assurance inspections) and the dreaded metrics. If you fail a single QAS within three months of the last failure, you are ineligible for promotion or any raises. This would actually be reasonable if you were being judged on brand new installs at single family homes in the suburbs. However, not only were we usually tested on triplexes and MDUs in the city where it is impossible, IMPOSSIBLE to do a standard install, but we were held to the same standard for trouble calls, which we were expected to complete within one hour. Did the installer practically destroy the house three years ago? Will it take 3 hours to fix? Too bad, all the other techs have their own ridiculous routes to worry about and you're responsible. At least you can keep your job, though.
    With metrics, your job was constantly at stake and numerous techs were fired by nameless middle managers with access to spreadsheets with our numbers. Thinking that he was coming in for mandatory overtime, one tech was called in on his day off only to discover someone had ordered his termination. The metrics included job completion rate, 12 day trouble call rate, and customer survey score. They were largely out of our control and impossible to dispute.
    I'm against unions in general, but I felt so angry and desperate most of the time, I would have risked my job to join one. I really felt like I had nothing to lose towards the end.

What is there to say when the CEO responds to legitimate and overwhelmingly negative criticism from rank and file employees by saying there are worse places to work? Where's the concern? The economy is improving and your best employees will not forget how they were treated when they had nowhere else to go. Dish will never again go through a period of adding a million customers a year, and it needs to give a little back (money, benefits, humane working conditions) to its employees if it wants to hang on to the customers it already has. Instead, it has taken a near-sighted approach of extreme cost cutting, and substituting good, local, common sense management with a distant, manage by numbers approach.

There are newer employer reviews for DISH